Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #41
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
When you buy LT tires, buy tires that are a smaller overall diameter. This will give the same effect a gear change but at a fraction of the cost ( since you are buying LT tires anyway ). As a previous poster mentioned stepping up his tire size dropped motor RPM's. By switching to a smaller tire you can raise motor RPM's ( the same as having lower gearing, a numerically higher number ). Make sure that you DO NOT buy tires that have less load carrying capacity.

How much smaller you can go will depend on several factors. I have dedicated summer tires ( sized for towing ) and since I live in a snowy winter climate I use winter tires.

Let me know if you would like more information, I'm sure others will chime in on my suggestion.

happy camping,
does this effect your speedometer?

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #42
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper1 View Post
does this effect your speedometer?
You bet. Not sure how hard it is to get it calibrated either. I think in the olden times, there was a different gear that went into the transmission. Now it is handled by a stepper motor in the dash display if you have a "needle". (300 dollar repair when mine started acting up the the wife's Buick.)

Hope a dealer mechanic handles this one, as I would love to know. I doubt my dealer would give me the time of day if I asked a question like that.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #43
Site Team

i'm sorry folks, but advice like better tires and rear end gear changes, IMHO, are not useful.
remember, she has a V-6 PATHFINDER, pulling a trailer that's over 31'!
gear changes and tire changes aren't going to change the fact that this TV is not adequate, for that long of a trailer.
and, she may be also at the TV's weight max.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #44
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i'm sorry folks, but advice like better tires and rear end gear changes, IMHO, are not useful.
gear changes and tire changes aren't going to change the fact that this TV is not adequate, for that long of a trailer.
Yes, times 2
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #45
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I'm sorry folks, but advice like better tires and rear end gear changes, IMHO, are not useful.
absolutely right, when we decided to upgrade trailers my old truck might of worked, meaning it was right at the maximums if I changed the gears to 4:10. looked into changing the gear ratio and it was 3000.00 for the 4 wheel drive and yes I shopped the price. for not much more I was able to trade to a 3/4 ton and now I'm 1800 lbs under what my maximums are. I weighed the old truck, did the math, thought what I could get rid of, how safe would we be, etc.. now when I pull I don't have worry about the weights- just all the guys texting! we make sure we load it properly and keep the weight down but it is nice to know that we can pretty much take what we want on the longer trips.
part of getting the new trailer was making sure we had the right truck.
my 2 cents

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:52 AM   #46

For posters some specs:
TV:
2010 Nissan Pathfinder Performance Specs & Data
%
2010 Nissan Pathfinder - Tech Specs - Truck Trend
&
http://www.nissannews.com/download.do?id=830
TT:
http://www.rvisiontowables.com/PDFs/Trail-Sport.pdf
To the OP
Nice trailer & nice vehicle but not the best match. Your TV appears to be designed for a soft ride urban usage - tow a boat or utility trailer, some light off road use. The specs show P rated tires & a suspension designed for comfort, a 3.133:1 axle ratio for fuel economy.
IMHO to up-fit your vehicle to pull this trailer comfortably with (what I would consider) a good safety margin will require significant custom modifications.
You may want to review:
Hitch Your Trailer: How Trailer Length Affects Towing Stability
Or
Trailer length vs tow vehicle wheelbase - iRV2 Forums
&
Tow Vehicle Sizing
To come to your own conclusions
sr
Old 04-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #47

Thank you for the links
Rchel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #48

IMHO to up-fit your vehicle to pull this trailer comfortably with (what I would consider) a good safety margin will require significant custom modifications.
quote ,

Well I do not have many options
Waiting for the dealer reply to my concerns
If I can not exchange it I will prob. Tow it no too far, maybe no more that 50 miles until I can get something different
What kind of modification are you talking about?
Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #49

Rchel72 I suggest you start with knowing your weights (ready to camp) - run them through Travel Trailer Weight Calculator (it helps)
If you cannot get within legal limits then…….
If you are within the legal limits as set by vehicle manufacture I would look at the following:
Improving the tire/wheel/shock combination to one suited for towing
LT tires with rims appropriate for the max tire PSI for the load (I would go LT 245/75/16 LR E )
Tire Search Results
Shocks/springs suitable for load carrying - some opinions @ The Nissan Path :: View topic - Towing, rear shock replacement options. Need Help. & http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=65
Ensure your fluid systems - Radiator, Transmission, front and rear Diff, brakes - are in shape for towing - I use DOT 4 in brakes, synthetic in the trans and diffs, OEM spec in Rad. - make sure you have the appropriate coolers in place - Trans, Oil, Power steering (if hydraulic) & get gauges to monitor the temps. Finned Differential covers (for cooling) if needed
Having some one knowledgeable with your Propride tune your hitch correctly.
Gearing updates (if needed)
Know how to use your transmission to get the most power for towing.
Know how to use your trailer & vehicle brakes along with the limits
Know your driving limits & if needed get driver training in handling a trailer (priceless when it hit’s the fan)
I offer this from the perspective of someone with over a million miles of non-commercial driving time along with EVO training.
Remember only you will be able to tell if you are safe with this combination in the end & this opinion may only be worth what you paid for it

Cheers
Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #50

We used to own a 29BH trailer, about 33ft overall, and towed it with an 07 Escalade, 6.+L 400HP, AWD, 7K+ LB towing capacity, etc. It struggled in Colorado. Aside from the slight sway (even with WD hitch), I personally wouldn't tow a 31ft trailer with a mid size SUV.

This probably doesn't help you much at this point, but watch what the dealers say. Some will say, "you are well within your limits." Yeah, on paper, one might be, but in reality, can exceed their limits before pulling a TT off the lot.
seven_campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #51

In 2005 I bought an 26' Ultralight TT (gross vehicle weight of 6k). At that time I had a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7liter) with GTWR of 9k. I bought this TT in Ft Worth and pulled it back to Colorado. I was well below the GCWR of 14k (as the trailer was completely empty)and never thought there would be an issue. A few hills and a slight head wind and an engine revving to about 6k rpm, I decided to trade the vehicle on a diesel. Best move I ever made. I know own a 30' Rockwood 8286WS fifth wheel and couldn't be happier with my Dodge Cummins.
rockwooddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #52

We basically did the same thing with regard to the tow vehicle. We also have a Dodge Cummins and have never looked back. Well, I look in my mirrors and see a few gas tow vehicles struggling, lol. Now we have no problems with the passes around here. In fact, we just purchased a larger 5th wheel (Sabre 32 BHTS) for more space and a lot more confidence with our tow vehicle.

When we had our TT, I knew I was in trouble with my Chevy 1500 HD, 6.0L, trying to limp up Berthoud Pass on our way to Granby and Grand Lake. That diesel makes a world of difference.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #53

Congrats on your new fifth wheel. I am impressed with the Sabre line. I was debating on whether to get the Sabre 32BHOK or the Rockwood 8286WS as they both have the outdoor kitchen. I decided to buy the Rockwood and have no regrets.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #54

Thanks! We looked at the BHOK but settled on the BHTS. Either way, this is a nice upgrade from our Laredo 26BH. We're itchin to pick it up and Wednesday can't come soon enough. First trip will be just a few days later...Arkansas River between Canyon City and Salida!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 PM   #55

I hear the area is excellent for fishing. I have never camped there. Usually go to Jackson, North Sterling and Jumbo in northeast Co. I will be going to Green Mtn. Resevoir and Williams Fork this summer as well. Enjoy your trip!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #56

It's pretty obvious that we all agree that the setup is truly a mismatch, there should not be any argument trying to beef up the tow vehicle to meet the requirements needed by the trailer, plain fact is the trailer is too long regardless of any upgrades to the tow vehicle. It's too bad the OP did not join the forum prior to purchasing the trailer. Until they can afford to change either the tow vehicle or the trailer there is no sense in spending a lot of cash trying to fix the inevitable.

Trying to match up this Pathfinder and a 31' trailer is like trying to upgrade an old 486 PC processor to handle the needs of today's computer programs and internet - it will never complete the task at hand.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreddy
Rchel72 I suggest you start with knowing your weights (ready to camp) - run them through Travel Trailer Weight Calculator (it helps)
If you cannot get within legal limits then…….
If you are within the legal limits as set by vehicle manufacture I would look at the following:
Improving the tire/wheel/shock combination to one suited for towing
LT tires with rims appropriate for the max tire PSI for the load (I would go LT 245/75/16 LR E )
Tire Search Results
Shocks/springs suitable for load carrying - some opinions @ The Nissan Path :: View topic - Towing, rear shock replacement options. Need Help. & http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=65
Ensure your fluid systems - Radiator, Transmission, front and rear Diff, brakes - are in shape for towing - I use DOT 4 in brakes, synthetic in the trans and diffs, OEM spec in Rad. - make sure you have the appropriate coolers in place - Trans, Oil, Power steering (if hydraulic) & get gauges to monitor the temps. Finned Differential covers (for cooling) if needed
Having some one knowledgeable with your Propride tune your hitch correctly.
Gearing updates (if needed)
Know how to use your transmission to get the most power for towing.
Know how to use your trailer & vehicle brakes along with the limits
Know your driving limits & if needed get driver training in handling a trailer (priceless when it hit’s the fan)
I offer this from the perspective of someone with over a million miles of non-commercial driving time along with EVO training.
Remember only you will be able to tell if you are safe with this combination in the end & this opinion may only be worth what you paid for it

Cheers
Thank you for the useful tips :sreddy , nice that you try to help and not show off that you drive a bigger truck !!! Like others do ( obviously if I could get I bigger truck I would , duh!!!)
I'll do all the calculations and see
Great links
Thanks again
Old 04-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchel72 View Post
Thank you for the useful tips :sreddy , nice that you try to help and not show off that you drive a bigger truck !!! Like others do ( obviously if I could get I bigger truck I would , duh!!!)
I'll do all the calculations and see
Great links
Thanks again
I understand what you are saying about others showing off about a bigger truck but I dont think that is the case in some of the posts - I think most are trying to show you what TV they use for the size of trailer they tow so you have idea on sizes and vehicles.

I think alot of us are in the same boat as you about not being able to afford another or a bigger tow vehicle - since I have payments on the trailer but not on the truck I can afford one or the other not both.

I will just have to say good luck and hopefully the dealer will step up and take care of you - they are partial to blame because I think it is wrong to take advantage of the situation IMO
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #59

Good post! I only chimed in because we made some $$$$$ mistakes with our first TT. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have placed as much weight on the dealer's "advice" as I did the first time around.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #60
Site Team

i agree about the bigger truck thing. i was trying to inform you of some of the hard lessons i had learned, not brag about my truck's bigger than yours!

i also did a lot of research and almost bought an inadequate tow vehicle, simply because the DW and i loved it and thought it was a well-designed vehicle.
only because i had read hundreds of posts warning about not towing at a vehicle's max tow rating, did i slow down and really pay attention to what i needed and not what i wanted.

i soon realized that if we wanted to pull the trailer we selected, that the vehicle, which had a v-6, would be at its max and that would not be good, living out West.
so, i took the advice of most, to get a tow vehicle that could tow what we wanted with room to spare.
i didn't buy a 1-ton diesel, i simply bought a v-8 truck because our trailer would be under 80% of its tow capacity.
we've towed now over the Rockies, Sierras, Cascades and Siskiyous and have never had any power/control issues.
we are so glad we didn't make the first choice we had planned to.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote