Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #61

I as well was not bragging about my diesel. I was clearly stating that the Hemi even though I was well below the pulling capacity of the truck, was inadequate. I ended up replacing valve springs and the dealer thought I had been racing the truck. I let them know exactly how I felt as they had told me it would pull this camper just fine. Needless to say I didn't give them my business on the next truck.
rockwooddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #62

I just got this suv last summer, I would like to get something with more power but I'll have a huge negative equity if I trade in now, I'll try and exchange the trailer and I guess no more I can do that pay for my huge 31' mistake
Rchel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #63
camping

like the guys above said, not bragging about my truck just letting you know what I did. I think we are all on your side and really feel bad about what the dealer told you. all the advise given was great and most came from experience and lesson learned. I hope you are able to exchange the trailer and work something out - let us know what happens. with all that said you will get past this and really have a great time camping!!

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #64
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchel72 View Post
I just got this suv last summer, I would like to get something with more power but I'll have a huge negative equity if I trade in now, I'll try and exchange the trailer and I guess no more I can do that pay for my huge 31' mistake
I'm in the same boat - just finished year 1 in a 3 year lease. Looked into trading it early but I will take 5-7k loss which would be tacked on to the new truck somewhere. The good news is that I only have 23 more months to go unlike last month when it was 24 months.

Any chance that you can borrow a truck from family or friends? I use my sister's Yukon to tow and she uses my SUV. I did find one place close to home that will rent a truck for towing but there is a milage restriction and I got the impression they were not crazy about it. There's always U-Haul but it will have to be a ugly box truck.

I'm sorry things didn't work out as expected. I know this has to be disappointing and upsetting.

Take care and please do keep us updated.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #65

We fell into the same issue. Toyota Tacoma v-6 4x4 with max tow of 5k. Bought a rockwood mini lite 2503s 4400lbs or so. Really pushed the limits of the truck, it did ok, but rpms would scream. Loved the Tacoma, but just not enough power or wheelbase. Upgraded to a Tundra 5.7 liter with a tow package...much, much better. Take it easy when towing, short trips until u can upgrade or borrow a friends tow vehicle. I totally understand your concern.
toadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #66

Well after all I think I'm going to trade in my pathfinder for a GMC YUKON
Hybrid or not?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #67

Make sure its an automatic. What size engine? What tires? What is its hitch rating tongue weight? What is it's combined GVW? Does it have a tranny cooler?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well after all I think I'm going to trade in my pathfinder for a GMC YUKON
Hybrid or not?
Going from a wheelbase of 112" to the Yukon with 116" is not that big of jump. The maximum trailer length for that vehicle should be in the 23' area.....not 31'.

Since you are thinking about a GMC Yukon Hybrid which starts around $51,000, you could get a crew cab 3/4 ton pickup for that. That would be a much better choice for towing a 31' trailer.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #69

F250 or equivalent. You're better off letting one of us shop for you. I'd go for overkill if I were in the market for a new truck.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #70

In my state, if you purchase a "tow vehicle", the dealer has to guarantee the vehicle can tow your trailer if you own one. This is a state law. When auto dealers sold too small a vehicle for towing, they'd obviously have problems. In your case, you bought the vehicle first, then later decided to buy the trailer. You need to tell the dealer the specs of the trailer.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor Sam View Post
In my state, if you purchase a "tow vehicle", the dealer has to guarantee the vehicle can tow your trailer if you own one. This is a state law. When auto dealers sold too small a vehicle for towing, they'd obviously have problems. In your case, you bought the vehicle first, then later decided to buy the trailer. You need to tell the dealer the specs of the trailer.
While that may be the law, the dealer will follow the letter of the law, using base minimums for meeting criteria, if the dry weight stated even a pound below the truck's GVWR, then they would probably win. I would expect that it needs to be in writing in your original contract that you intend this to be a tow vehicle and the trailer specs would probably have to be included on the contract. I don't think this is a fail safe by any means
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i'm sorry folks, but advice like better tires and rear end gear changes, IMHO, are not useful.
remember, she has a V-6 PATHFINDER, pulling a trailer that's over 31'!
gear changes and tire changes aren't going to change the fact that this TV is not adequate, for that long of a trailer.
and, she may be also at the TV's weight max.
I agree. If you aren't comfortable towing it because it feels like it's too much, it's too much. I know I wouldn't be towing it based on the weight specs you listed, and you can't base anything on dry weight limits.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #73

Well the one I was looking is a v8 with transmission cooling package and tt brakes, but I don't know if a hybrid will make a good towing V
I do need an SUV I have 3 kids, and I like the third row.
Thank you for your help
Old 05-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #74

I think your pulling our chain.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
While that may be the law, the dealer will follow the letter of the law, using base minimums for meeting criteria, if the dry weight stated even a pound below the truck's GVWR, then they would probably win. I would expect that it needs to be in writing in your original contract that you intend this to be a tow vehicle and the trailer specs would probably have to be included on the contract. I don't think this is a fail safe by any means
What I stated was the law. What you are doing is twisting words, meanings, and injecting your opinion. Stick to facts.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #76
Site Team

Quote:
Well the one I was looking is a v8 with transmission cooling package and tt brakes, but I don't know if a hybrid will make a good towing V
I do need an SUV I have 3 kids, and I like the third row.
Thank you for your help
Rchel72, there's no hybrid out there, that can tow a trailer like the one you have.
the hybrid SUVs have heavy batteries that will lower its tow capacity, by a lot.
they have a much lower tow capacity, than the equivalent non-hybrid ones.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor Sam View Post
I think your pulling our chain.
....hum.... could this be a troll ?