Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #1

Towing Calculator

I was going to add this to the debate between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck, but it has been closed. I would like to add this web site to the debate: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml
I went through this debate before I bought my truck. I bought a 3/4 ton with diesel power for a trailer that has a GVWR of 8300 lbs. The calculator states that even with a margin of 13900 lbs. which is what my truck can tow that with the safety margins recommended by the RV and Insurance industries that I come very close to the limit. My calculations show, within 700 lbs. This calculator became my bible towards finding a truck for my needs. If of course you fiddle with the safety margins, you will find that you can make it come out to justify the truck you have, but you are only kidding yourself. Safety and not your wallet should be your criteria for a truck. Just my 2 cents worth.

Camping 2012: 40 nights
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #2

Wow! Great site. I had never been to it before. Thanks!
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamicamper View Post
I was going to add this to the debate between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck, but it has been closed. I would like to add this web site to the debate: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml
I went through this debate before I bought my truck. I bought a 3/4 ton with diesel power for a trailer that has a GVWR of 8300 lbs. The calculator states that even with a margin of 13900 lbs. which is what my truck can tow that with the safety margins recommended by the RV and Insurance industries that I come very close to the limit. My calculations show, within 700 lbs. This calculator became my bible towards finding a truck for my needs. If of course you fiddle with the safety margins, you will find that you can make it come out to justify the truck you have, but you are only kidding yourself. Safety and not your wallet should be your criteria for a truck. Just my 2 cents worth.
I have one thing to say, "don't spare the money, spare a life" Spend the money on the correct truck that is needed to do the job no matter if It is a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. The life you save may be your own and put your family first. You have hit the nail right on the head.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #4

This calculator site should be a "Sticky".

I used this site when choosing my 5th wheel trailer and it caused me to stop considering a lot of trailers.

When I arrived in my Long Bed Xtended Cab 2500HD Allison/Duramax all the dealers said "You can pull anything on our lot" WRONG!!!

You can tell when a trailer salesman is lying about tow capacity because their lips are moving

Sure todays half ton trucks will pull a lot of trailers but how good do they stop and how long will the transmission last?

I think my truck pulling my 8285WS will yield better than average 5th wheel mileage.
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamicamper View Post
VERY well put! My opinion exactly. Nice to have something like this to refer too as I see way too many guys who say "my truck is rated to pull...." That is never the whole story. Safety should be the first concern but from the rigs I see every time we hit the road it is obvious for a lot of RV owners it isn't.

Thanks for the info.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #6

Tow vehicle maximum king pin weight rating

Been trying to plug the numbers into the chart listed here and can't come up with the "Tow vehicle maximum king pin weight rating". I have a 2009 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 extended cab and 6.5' bed. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
reloader-51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #7

I'm sure that if this formula is applied to the commercial 18 wheelers on the road, none of them would comply. You have got to be kidding! A 3/4 ton diesel can only muster an 8300 lb. trailer? You must not have a Ford.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Johnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:53 AM   #8

×2 ^
ford1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Manual for 6.0 says fifth wheel or gooseneck kingpin weight 15 percent to 25 percent of trailer weight up to 3000 lbs. Maximum
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnv View Post
I'm sure that if this formula is applied to the commercial 18 wheelers on the road, none of them would comply. You have got to be kidding! A 3/4 ton diesel can only muster an 8300 lb. trailer? You must not have a Ford.

My Ecoboost as equipped can haul 11,200. I would be looking at not buying the 3/4 ton Dodge/GMC/Chev/Ford/Fargo if thats all it could haul.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Its in the FRF library
Forest River Forums - Downloads - Towing, Hitching & Leveling

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
TigerPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnv View Post

Im all about safety but am also a truck driver that grosses 100,000 lbs daily with a 15,000lb truck the person who came up with this calculator is the type of drivers that I deal with on a daily basis. If we are talking about safety to go from point a to point b then let's all give up our cars and walk with our family. That would be safest right. Towing capacities are just that in every aspect the manufacturer has deemed this weight safe for this truck (that means stopping and towing) but I agree if someone out there cannot drive a Prius then don't buy a camper. This calculator would have all of us driving a f450 to tow a pop up. My opinion "scared drivers will always be scared drivers no matter what they are in" these are the drivers that make it very dangerous to be out there on the road they flinch,swerve,slam on brakes at every little thing. Sorry my rant is over it's just this calculator makes no sense in my line of work. Have a blessed night to everyone
cajunrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #13

I tried some of the forum listed calculators but just seemed not to be doing it right. I went to the web and found this one. It is easy for me to input correct numbers and I really like the green (for good) and red (means bad) results. No question there are others I just have real good luck with this one

Fifth Wheel St. App Promo

Check it out just to compare
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #14

OOPS forgot I was on my apple. Here is the link for desktop:

RV Weight Calculator | 5th Wheel | Gooseneck | Safety Report
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #15

In addition to the Changin' Gears calculator, here is a similar, but more simplified, mobile friendly pre-purchase calculator that provides realistic towing capacities for 5th Wheel and travel trailers simultaneously.

RV Tow Check 2.0

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel,
B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags,
K&N cold air intake with AEM dry filter
SOB: 09 Cyclone 4012 (GVWR: 20,400#) with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box, My toy in the garage was a 2008 smart fortwo (1.8K#).
DaveGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #16

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442079483.038881.jpg
Views:	1545
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	88433
Got my new tv, love this truck
lynn brownlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #17

For some reason the internet is failing today... I can't get all the figures needed to populate the calculator posted in the first post.
BKBuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunrvr View Post
Im all about safety but am also a truck driver that grosses 100,000 lbs daily with a 15,000lb truck the person who came up with this calculator is the type of drivers that I deal with on a daily basis. If we are talking about safety to go from point a to point b then let's all give up our cars and walk with our family. That would be safest right. Towing capacities are just that in every aspect the manufacturer has deemed this weight safe for this truck (that means stopping and towing) but I agree if someone out there cannot drive a Prius then don't buy a camper. This calculator would have all of us driving a f450 to tow a pop up. My opinion "scared drivers will always be scared drivers no matter what they are in" these are the drivers that make it very dangerous to be out there on the road they flinch,swerve,slam on brakes at every little thing. Sorry my rant is over it's just this calculator makes no sense in my line of work. Have a blessed night to everyone

Cajunrvr
Thank you for your professional opinion on this subject. I have always wondered how people tow anything according to some people on this issue. I have a 8500 gross weight travel trailer I tow with my 1/2 truck (15 Ram) it has a tow rating 10,500 (yes this is the rating after I take the weight of fuel, people, pets, tool box, tools, firewood, and my jumbo cup of coffee). While I do have to use a wdh I feel perfectly safe driving and stoping my tt. Now a dealer did try to steer me to buy a light weight fifth wheel to be towed with same truck, I just said no thank you because of the rear spring set up on Rams this not a good idea with out mods.
Fab 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #19

I'm a little confused and here's why:

I just ordered a Shasta Phoenix 34RD which shows a GVW 14361 and pin wt 2361. I had one dealer tell me when I was looking at a FW with a pin wt of 2400, that I'd have to upgrade my truck. He calculated from GVWR of 9200, subtracted curb wt, pin wt, propane, fuel, passengers ect. He then deducted that I'd be over weight.

If I use the vin decoder attached to the RV tow check 2.0, it clearly shows in the technical specs, 15400 FW towing capacity and 3850 FW pin capacity. The towing calculator from changing gears shows that I'm fine on pin weight and overweight on total trailer weight.

I had planned on upgrading the truck based on what the first dealer told me, but it would be sweet if I could get by without it.

Is this stuff confusing or what?

Rick
Old 03-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #20

Bikeman, hard to find an RV salesman who tells the truth, but you found one. Your payload is probably around 2400 lbs, maybe less. This does not include you, passengers, fiver hitch or anything else you store in the truck. Only way to know for sure is to weigh your truck, subtract that from 9200, then subtract you, passengers, hitch and whatever else. This is the number available for pin weight according to your GVWR.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel