Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #41

My favorite expirence was when I stopped at Chevy dealer. (It was at a friends request.) The guy tried to sell me a new Silverado. (I couldnt stand the cabin, just awful.). But I let him make his pitch.

Now the first sentence out of my mouth following I'm in the market for a pickup was...."I tow a 6800lb trailer."

"Oh this will tow anything you've got."

"Okay sounds good... What's the tow rating?"

"Oh its up there... It'll pull what you've got."

"What's the Axel ratio? How about the payload?"

"I don't know off hand but donr worry your gonna love it!"

After he figured out I wasn't moving that truck one inch without seeing some specs and that I didn't give a load of horse crap about his talk of best in class fuel economy.

We walked inside with the specs (I'd found on the door sticker and window paperwork.). The tow rating was a laughable 4500-wish lbs. And after hearing all of this the guy was still trying to sell it...

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #42

Yea just like the salesman (must have went to the same school ) when we were looking at a mini van years ago he said ya the van is rated to tow 3800 lbs ( left out the part when properly equipped & it wasn't)....... to say the least we moved on..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
My favorite expirence was when I stopped at Chevy dealer. (It was at a friends request.) The guy tried to sell me a new Silverado. (I couldnt stand the cabin, just awful.). But I let him make his pitch.

Now the first sentence out of my mouth following I'm in the market for a pickup was...."I tow a 6800lb trailer."

"Oh this will tow anything you've got."

"Okay sounds good... What's the tow rating?"

"Oh its up there... It'll pull what you've got."

"What's the Axel ratio? How about the payload?"

"I don't know off hand but donr worry your gonna love it!"

After he figured out I wasn't moving that truck one inch without seeing some specs and that I didn't give a load of horse crap about his talk of best in class fuel economy.

We walked inside with the specs (I'd found on the door sticker and window paperwork.). The tow rating was a laughable 4500-wish lbs. And after hearing all of this the guy was still trying to sell it...
Never heard of any chevy half ton that low. My 98 k1500 was 6600 lbs.
Be nice when they all start using same test for ratings instead of writing what ever they feel it is to boost sales

Stalemate: J2807 Truck Towing Standard - Truck Trend News

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #44

Hang in there

Intimidating at first - YES. We went from a small SUV with a utility trailer to a F250 diesel and a 40 ft. 5th wheel. I think the finger indentations are still in the steering wheel from the first few months of use. My best advise be excessively aware of your surroundings and you will become a happy and relaxed driver with time.
wheelmangg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #45
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Be nice when they all start using same test for ratings instead of writing what ever they feel it is to boost sales

What does it matter? People will continue to pick and choose what they believe. Most predict that the new standards will actually lower towing capabilities, yet many people are exceeding the current capabilities.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

What does it matter? People will continue to pick and choose what they believe. Most predict that the new standards will actually lower towing capabilities, yet many people are exceeding the current capabilities.

true...but at least there will be a bar to compare manufacturers wild numbers with some sort of standard..... of course everyone will say "oh but thats sae numbers and they are real conservative"..lol

as for me, i have come to the realization that im gonna have to get a dually f450...my 250 even with the 350 spring pack, axle and rear blocks just is never gonna be enough truck for the way these toy haulers are growing in size and weight...im looking at a 42' fuzion and the loaded weights are astronomical even compared to my insanely heavy for a TT lacrosse at 9855lbs last outing.....

now to keep the 250 or not....that is the question!!! sure doooo love my setup now....its a chic magnet...LOL...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #47

and by chic magnet i mean my daughter loves it....and the rear tvs i put in for her....LOL
Old 09-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #48
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
and by chic magnet i mean my daughter loves it....and the rear tvs i put in for her....LOL
LOL. Well, I can say- the wife driving our dually is definitely a sausage magnet. She gets waves and compliments quite often when she drives it without me.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #49
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:

LOL. Well, I can say- the wife driving our dually is definitely a sausage magnet. She gets waves and compliments quite often when she drives it without me.
Sorry, but that makes me laugh!! Ive never heard something put like that !!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #50

Quote:

My wife hates driving my truck...it sits about a foot higher than a dually and with the 10" wide rims is almost as wide...lol...but she gets a lotta 'is THAT yours! !!?? ' when she drives it...then again my wife would prob get honks waves and phone # 's driving a festiva...lol...definant bean n Frank bonanza for her too. ...me....not so much..lol
Old 09-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #51
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Never heard of any chevy half ton that low. My 98 k1500 was 6600 lbs.

I just found a 2013 Chevy 1500 Ext, 4.3Lt V6/3.23 rear end and all it can pull is 4400 Lb. All trucks are not created equal, even in the same class.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
I just found a 2013 Chevy 1500 Ext, 4.3Lt V6/3.23 rear end and all it can pull is 4400 Lb. All trucks are not created equal, even in the same class.
Not gonna pull much with a sixbanger Forgot about that 4.3.. I had the motor in my 1985 c10 (1st truck)with a 4 barrel holly carb and it was a real dog

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #53

I finally did it. Been worried about towing a long distance but made a 432 one way trip to Ohio last week. Everything went great. I'm now ready to really enjoy the TT without losing sleep the week before heading out. Drove up in two days but returned in one for nine hour drive. Longest would want to tow. Next time I'll make it two five hour days.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb4srn View Post
I finally did it. Been worried about towing a long distance but made a 432 one way trip to Ohio last week. Everything went great. I'm now ready to really enjoy the TT without losing sleep the week before heading out. Drove up in two days but returned in one for nine hour drive. Longest would want to tow. Next time I'll make it two five hour days.
You Da Man!!!

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcarbona View Post
Well I'm going to be upgrading to a 3/4 ton TV and getting a travel trailer as well in the near future. Currently I tow a popup with a 1/2 ton TV. The popup is a rockwood HW276 which is about 19ft long counting the hitch. I have to admit that while I was looking at some of the 30 ft long and 11ft high TTs, I was a bit intimidated if not down right scared. I've never pulled such a monstrosity before!

Has anyone ever been in my shoes? How did you overcome your fears? I welcome any advice. I'm starting to tell myself that I can probably only do 30 ft. Not sure if I can handle 35 footers! Would I now need to be very selective of the campsites I pick?

Thanks in advance!
Has anybody been in your shoes? Just everyone. You will be fine after some 'practice'......
Been 'pulling' since I was 16 years, I have always had a CDL. I am a seasoned citizen (old age is only in the mind).....

1) Get the right equipment for the job. 1/2 ton will handle a 30 footer alright, but you will know you have a load. 35 footer.... you will almost abuse a 1/2 ton. Diesels are better than gassers for pullin'.

2) Getting that big boy going is the easy part.... stoppen'..... sometimes not so easy. 2 second distance.... I don't think so...... It will not stop when you think it should. Speed and Distance..... Learn how to use the trailer brakes... not too tight, but not to loose.

3) going straight, that big boy will follow you any where. Going around a corner and he (the unit) wants to cut to your inside. And take out the curb and power pole or drop off in that close ditch. Turning 'right', hug the left side of the road and watch your mirrors (40% of the time look in your mirrors) as you go around the corners. 'Go long', do not 'cut short'...... If you are on the 'wrong track', hit the flashers and stop..... don't drive yourself into a worse condition. Five minutes of holding up traffic and a short back up is better than ripping off part of you units side or dropping off in a 3 foot ditch.

4) backing up is more hazardous than going forward..... Do not.... Do not 'guess'.... do not 'trust' anyone. When backing into a spot... get out of the tv and do a walk around..... go slow backing.... get out and do another walk around.... go slow.

5) Speed kills.... especially if you have not practiced (and you practice by doing) for years..... I have always found that if I get in a hurry.... bad things happens..... if I 'slow down' I will get there a lot faster.....

6) enjoy the toys for the big boys.....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Well you might be right. But it would matter to me in buying / shopping a truck knowing they all had to pass the same test to get there numbers

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
That was what was killing this truck too... The rear end was somewhere in the low 3's... No amount of displacement will overcome that kind of handicap. Though I suppose diesels would have enough torque.

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 09-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #58
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
That was what was killing this truck too... The rear end was somewhere in the low 3's... No amount of displacement will overcome that kind of handicap. Though I suppose diesels would have enough torque.
I have 2013 Silverado Crewcab 1500 with 5.3L/ 6 speed/ 3.42 rearend. It's tow rating is 9,500 lb and I pull a 34'8"TT/ 7013 dry weight. We went to Goshen this summer (1900 miles) and it felt good all the way. My only problem? DW saw and wants a Wildcat 327 she found at the Rally and my Silverado can't pull it! (Just made the first payment).
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Has anybody been in your shoes? Just everyone. You will be fine after some 'practice'......
Been 'pulling' since I was 16 years, I have always had a CDL. I am a seasoned citizen (old age is only in the mind).....

1) Get the right equipment for the job. 1/2 ton will handle a 30 footer alright, but you will know you have a load. 35 footer.... you will almost abuse a 1/2 ton. Diesels are better than gassers for pullin'.

2) Getting that big boy going is the easy part.... stoppen'..... sometimes not so easy. 2 second distance.... I don't think so...... It will not stop when you think it should. Speed and Distance..... Learn how to use the trailer brakes... not too tight, but not to loose.

3) going straight, that big boy will follow you any where. Going around a corner and he (the unit) wants to cut to your inside. And take out the curb and power pole or drop off in that close ditch. Turning 'right', hug the left side of the road and watch your mirrors (40% of the time look in your mirrors) as you go around the corners. 'Go long', do not 'cut short'...... If you are on the 'wrong track', hit the flashers and stop..... don't drive yourself into a worse condition. Five minutes of holding up traffic and a short back up is better than ripping off part of you units side or dropping off in a 3 foot ditch.

4) backing up is more hazardous than going forward..... Do not.... Do not 'guess'.... do not 'trust' anyone. When backing into a spot... get out of the tv and do a walk around..... go slow backing.... get out and do another walk around.... go slow.

5) Speed kills.... especially if you have not practiced (and you practice by doing) for years..... I have always found that if I get in a hurry.... bad things happens..... if I 'slow down' I will get there a lot faster.....

6) enjoy the toys for the big boys.....
Wisdom of experience... Everyone should read this and practice the advice. Thanks Brother Les.

2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Old 09-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #60

Lots of really great advice in this thread. I would just add to adjust the mirrors and know your blind spots so you can avoid expensive problems. Pick your first few outings carefully until you get more experience and feel more comfortable. Buy some radios to avoid the yelling when backing into a site. A lot less stress that way! Have fun!!
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote