Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #21

Funny, I saw your post & was reminded how identical it was to mine almost a year ago. While I had towed before, everything from a 30' class C pulling a car to most recently, a 20' TT, I was feeling extremely anxious about the 36' Windjammer purchased & taken up to Door County, WI for the shakedown in Oct. Our real shakedown was 8k + up to Alaska this July & with all the maneuvering needed to get some 54'+ft into fuel stops, sites, small town streets, as well as the belly of a Ferry, I really wonder what all my worry was about. Ok, I'm still cautious as one should be, but as described by others, practice will build that confidence.
Best thing to remember is to watch your sides when turning (especially right). Give yourself enough room, swing out if needed & don't assume anything. Once you get the handle on how the rig follows, it will become second nature. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #22

also pay the little extra $$ on a decent brake controlle, that extra 30 bucks will make a world of difference...

2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #23

We have ALL had to learn how to drive, and tow at some point. You've gotten really good advice. I'll just add one thing (OK, I guess it's two):

There are 2 things I've personally done that have made me an overall much better driver:

1. Ride a motorcycle. This has made me super aware of EVERYTHING going on.
2. Tow a TT. Again, this has made me watch more carefully, like traffic flows, upcomming lane changes, high curbs, etc. It makes you learn how to use your mirrors properly. It has also allowed me to relax. Seriously, when you're towing, it doesn't matter that everyone else is zipping past you. You're going camping, and doing it at YOUR pace, not others. I love it.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #24

I was driving M 47 tanks in the army before I drove a car and racing cross country motorcycles for many years including world championship participation helped my driving skills with motorhomes and trailers I guess. No accident or damage in 40+ years. :-)
Old 09-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #25

Thanks folks for the replies. Lots of great responses! Hope this helps the next guy with cold feet on towing big rigs.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #26

I guess my language was quite vague. When I said longer trailers were easier I was referring to something in the high teens to mid 20s in length as compared to something with a short tongue to axel length like a 6 or 8 flat bed trailer. And only in terms of backing up.

Trust me... My 36'9" of TT presents the largest challenges I've had when trailering. It wants to drift more inside around winding bends. Getting onto pads with any angle (but especially) an acute one is particularly challenging. And although its not even a full 4' than my previous TT its characterists are quite dissimilar and it presents a unique "feel" when pulling down the highway, through a twist or turn, and when parking.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #27
Site Team

vcarbona
you can do it!!
Yep I was little nervous driving first few times with my 36 foot 8 inch Bertha. But its a good feeling at the cc when other campers are watching and you back that bad boy in the first or second try
When in doubt get out an look!
If I dont feel some adrenaline flowing when towing Big Bertha around there is something wrong!
Watch out for trees above you an have your A game on!!
Lots of good advice here from all as well!
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
I guess my language was quite vague. When I said longer trailers were easier I was referring to something in the high teens to mid 20s in length as compared to something with a short tongue to axel length like a 6 or 8 flat bed trailer. And only in terms of backing up.

Trust me... My 36'9" of TT presents the largest challenges I've had when trailering. It wants to drift more inside around winding bends. Getting onto pads with any angle (but especially) an acute one is particularly challenging. And although its not even a full 4' than my previous TT its characterists are quite dissimilar and it presents a unique "feel" when pulling down the highway, through a twist or turn, and when parking.
X2 on the challenges of long units!
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #29
Site Team

forgot to add, get Walkie talkies for backing up as you won't be able to see behind you as easily. have your spotter talk in short easy to understand commands and use passenger side/drivers side to avoid confusion.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post

WOW! I thought I was brave pulling my 34'8" Lacrosse with a 2008 GMC 1500. My hat is off to you. I since move to a 2013 Silverado 1500 TV.

2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote