Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Mister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
WOW! I thought I was brave pulling my 34'8" Lacrosse with a 2008 GMC 1500. My hat is off to you. I since move to a 2013 Silverdo 1500 TV.
Certainly much closer to the limits than I want to be. And I have to be mindful of what I bring along in the way of gear. I'd like to think my next TV will be a 3/4 ton. I'll say this, the Traceris supposed to be a "lite model" but at nearly 37' nothing is lite!
__________________

__________________


2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #32
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,428
Recommend a trip to the scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
Certainly much closer to the limits than I want to be. And I have to be mindful of what I bring along in the way of gear. I'd like to think my next TV will be a 3/4 ton. I'll say this, the Traceris supposed to be a "lite model" but at nearly 37' nothing is lite!
Ahh a trip to the scales would shed a lot of "not so lite" on things.

Just my 2 cents

Carl
__________________

__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #33
American Dreamer
 
NeoSys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 20
As one that pulls a 35' and had never towed anything before I can relate but after a month on the road I was way more relaxed even though you never get over when a large trailer blows by pushing you or when you are traveling in long plain road and out of nowhere you get a gust of wind starts playing with the whole rig.

After a year on the road and having to back up in to terrible sites under horrible weather you also start getting enough experience where everything becomes second nature.

My biggest advice to anyone is when starting always remember when you turn you will have a 6-8 foot extension at the back after the axles that will swing wide so always give yourself space to the opposite side when turning.

And it sure is amazing how big 35 feet are.
__________________
2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4
2012 Prime Time Lacrosse 318BHS Touring
NeoSys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Mister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Ahh a trip to the scales would shed a lot of "not so lite" on things.

Just my 2 cents

Carl
Oh I don't need a scale to tell me I'm at the limit of my truck. That's why I try to travel light... That doesn't always happen either.
__________________


2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #35
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
Oh I don't need a scale to tell me I'm at the limit of my truck. That's why I try to travel light... That doesn't always happen either.
I was shocked the first time I went to the scales with my lacrosse
The info said tongue weight 875Lbs. But on the scales a whopping 1200 lbs.
With nothing more then 8 plastic wheel chocks and 10 plastic bricks in the storage area. The unit itself was well over 300 lbs heaver then the yellow sticker.
Even with my 3/4 ton Im pushing the limits of the gross wt.
These suckers are heavy no lite about it. The more I take out...the more she puts in
Happy campin
Carl
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Mister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 159
Ain't that the truth... For every item that goes out three go in.... God help me, in a year I'll need a ton and a half to get into my favorite campground.

But I agree with you. Sadly I have a feeling most people towing a large TT are at of above their tow rating. Doublly true if their pulling with a half ton. My rear suspension and rear axel are noticably stressed when the truck is fully loaded and the trailer connected. I think I posted already, my next truck will hopefully be a 3/4 ton.
__________________


2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #37
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
Ain't that the truth... For every item that goes out three go in.... God help me, in a year I'll need a ton and a half to get into my favorite campground.

But I agree with you. Sadly I have a feeling most people towing a large TT are at of above their tow rating. Doublly true if their pulling with a half ton. My rear suspension and rear axel are noticably stressed when the truck is fully loaded and the trailer connected. I think I posted already, my next truck will hopefully be a 3/4 ton.
Most rigs and units i see at the cc I know are over weight.
When we unloaded our Tracer before trading it in on the Lacrosse it took me a long long time to get all the stuff out we dont use that was in there. Set all the stuff in a corner in the garage. Well she saw it and 1/2 of that is back in the lacrosse and the other half is not. I threw a tarp over it to hide it.
She tell me most of the stuff we take with is my stuff. She right , blocks ,chocks, jack , tools and stuff you need for towing. Hers is luxuries stuff. She said we have all that cabinet space to fill, thats what its there for...
Its all good were happy
Carl
__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
nights of camping
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Twisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,138
"...my next truck will hopefully be a 3/4 ton."
Hopefully??
The price of a high payload F350 is negligible compared to the pitiful payload of an F250 which has a max gross weight of 10,0000 lbs.

Quote from an Email from my local dealer;
"Hi Thomas, Got your email. Looks like you have done your research.
"3. Payload will be 3970"

Why would you not get a capable truck?
__________________
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:36 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Mister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Most rigs and units i see at the cc I know are over weight.
When we unloaded our Tracer before trading it in on the Lacrosse it took me a long long time to get all the stuff out we dont use that was in there. Set all the stuff in a corner in the garage. Well she saw it and 1/2 of that is back in the lacrosse and the other half is not. I threw a tarp over it to hide it.
LOL. The same thing happened to be when I moved out of my Spingdale. After four years it too two trips with my pickup to unload it all. That was a lot of crap!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
"...my next truck will hopefully be a 3/4 ton."
Hopefully??
The price of a high payload F350 is negligible compared to the pitiful payload of an F250 which has a max gross weight of 10,0000 lbs.

Quote from an Email from my local dealer;
"Hi Thomas, Got your email. Looks like you have done your research.
"3. Payload will be 3970"

Why would you not get a capable truck?
That's all well and good, but there are a couple of reasons. First) I will be buying used in all likelihood. Since 1-tons carry a higher resale value that difference may not be so "negligible" Second) It's easier to find gas 3/4-tons than it is 1-tons. Third) I don't need the additional payload. One extra leaf in my spring pack and E-range tires and my current truck would tow exactly where I want it.

And I love dealers, I get tired of telling them more about their trucks ratings than they tell me...
__________________


2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Twisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,138
Have fun!
__________________

__________________
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.