Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Towing intimidation

Well I'm going to be upgrading to a 3/4 ton TV and getting a travel trailer as well in the near future. Currently I tow a popup with a 1/2 ton TV. The popup is a rockwood HW276 which is about 19ft long counting the hitch. I have to admit that while I was looking at some of the 30 ft long and 11ft high TTs, I was a bit intimidated if not down right scared. I've never pulled such a monstrosity before!

Has anyone ever been in my shoes? How did you overcome your fears? I welcome any advice. I'm starting to tell myself that I can probably only do 30 ft. Not sure if I can handle 35 footers! Would I now need to be very selective of the campsites I pick?

Thanks in advance!
vcarbona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

Been there vcarbona. I hadn't towed anything for many years and then we bought a used 1 ton with a 26' 5er so we jumped right in. It was a little intimidating at first but the principles of towing are the same, wider turns, anticipating traffic and taking your time. The only way to get used to it is to jump in and head down the road. Take some short drives close to home to build your confidence before hitting a major highway. After a few miles I sometimes would almost forget the trailer was there...almost...:-).

Yes, from my experience if you go too big you will limit yourself on campgrounds. I was at a place this year with a narrow road and the sites were perpendicular to it and it was really tight backing into it. Another place had a 90 degree right turn up a pretty steep hill with loose gravel which made for an interesting moment.

Make sure your setup (TV, hitch, WDH etc) are suitable for the TT and not overloading your TV and you will be fine.

Tim & Jenn
2009 Forest River Grey Wolf 235 5er
2003 F-350 Superduty 6.0 l Diesel
DSP 17K
aiscpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

With my TT, it wasn't so bad. Especially once I got the right vehicle (a 3/4 ton F-250). My little Montero Sport was just no match for my trailer. Now the first time I got my 5th wheel...wow. Looking out that rear window and seeing that huge thing that looked like it was right on top of me, that was a scary sight. It still is a little disconcerting now and then, but I've gotten used to it for the most part. You will too.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I started out with a car and a pop up years ago. l left camping for a while, but I got back into it with a Mercury Mountineer and a 26ft travel trailer. The next step was a 1/2 ton GMC and a 35ft travel trailer. Just take it at your own pace.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #5

I started towing a 13' TT about 10 years ago. Traded that in on an 18' bass boat which on the trailer and with the motor in towing position was 23 or 24'. Traded that for a 33' (tongue to bumper) TT that I had until recently. Now I'm in a 37'.

My experience has taught me the following...

-It's actually easier to back up a trailer with a longer hitch to axel "wheel base" than one shorter. Backing a short trailer in particular can be a pain because of how hast it wants to articulate. Longer trailers turn more gradually and are honestly more forgiving with steering wheel corrections.

-Longer trailers don't "feel" as long as they are when they are towing. Since your vision of the trailer is mostly skewed the trailer doesn't seem very long behind you. Another plus is that TTs and 5Ws axels are slightly rear of center on the length so they don't track as wide as you think. But sharp turns still require plenty of lane to swing wide. And I find on winding roads I'm driving from my side views. This is the biggest caution I preach...don't hug the outer line. Your trailer tracks well over a foot inside of you tucks tire line.

-The most unnerving thing is not being able to see the blind side of your trailer when backing into a space. Make sure you have a spotter if it's got trees or a drop off.

-DO NOT back into a space with trees near the road and your pad. Once I camped at a spot with a near 90 to the road pad and trees about 5' on either side of the pad and 5' from the road. The trailer wanted to drift to one side or another as I pulled forward. I backed in fine but it took me two and half hours of moving the truck and trailer, unhitching, repositioning the truck, and rehitching to start again to get out. Backing into a spot is always easier and the trailer tracks better than pulling out. (See sharp turns comment above.)

Bottom line, towing a "larger" trailer isn't a big deal. The biggest concern is making sure it will stop for you when you need it to. Having the proper truck is the best confidence builder you will have. The only time you feel the extra length is tight turns and squeezing between two things. Otherwise you'll build enough confidence to be fine. I can say with confidence once your used to it, 35' would feel "too long" at all.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Good advice already. Its all about taking YOUR time.

The bottom line is that you need to become comfortable and the ONLY way is through practice with the TV and trailer on the roads and highways, parking lots and campgrounds.

You'll get the hang of it soon enough! You really will

Just take it slow and easy and choose low traffic areas to get used to it. Then, once comfortable, expect that some campgrounds and highways will challenge you. By then, you'll be comfortable with taking your time in those situations, too.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcarbona View Post
Has anyone ever been in my shoes? How did you overcome your fears? I welcome any advice. I'm starting to tell myself that I can probably only do 30 ft. Not sure if I can handle 35 footers!
Oh heck yes- been there, done that, and got the t-shirt! My towing experience before getting the pop-up was pulling a kayak trailer when I worked for LL Bean. We towed it from the parking lot, down a lake side path and did a big loop to get it lakeside. At the end of the day, you drove it back up and then backed it into a designated double-wide parking spot. If you couldn't hit the parking spot, no big deal- it was on a hill and the kayak trailer was light- just push it into place and all's good. Heck, we moved it by hand more times than not when hitching up.

Then I got a 3,000 pound 19' popup. I remembering looking at it thinking, "what in the beejeebuss did I get myself into?" That pop-up lasted for a season before the wife wanted something a little bigger. Started looking at fifth wheels and I had a hard "no longer than 35 feet" rule stuck firmly in my head. Wife dug at me a for a while and I agreed to, "up to 40 feet". And then we promptly bought a 42' bunkhouse!

Truth be told, the mechanics are all the same. Those who say a longer trailer is easier than a short one are lying. They're both difficult in their own ways. The short ones, you need a whole lot less room for parking and obstacles aren't nearly as much of a challenge but they DO jackknife a lot easier. It's just different.

How did I get over my nervousness? I'm still nervous when I'm out doing it. But, like Nike - "just do it". You just have to get out and go. If you have the time and inclination, hitting an empty parking lot for practice would be a great thing to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcarbona View Post
Would I now need to be very selective of the campsites I pick?
It does make a difference, obviously. I think it all comes down to the type of "camping" experience that you want. Be it a rustic "in the woods" kind of experience at state and national parks- sure the smaller trailer will open up more opportunities. If you're OK with a little more of a modern-day adventure, RV parker or aren't real picky- the bigger trailer isn't bad. We like our space, but really haven't found that our 42' fifth wheel makes a huge amount of difference in the sites that we "want" at parks. Sure, it happens- but we can usually find somewhere that we're happy with.

That said, it'll be quite a while until I'm ready to take camper into the state park that made my childhood's camping memories. I know people do it, but dang it can be tight!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I towed mostly 2 horse trailers and little uhauls before buying my 30 ft TT. I had myself psyched out before I started. The white knuckle experience of not having enough TV for the TT did not help. My past experience towing was enough to tell me something wasn't right with my set up. Problem was, we never did get it to handle well with the old TV. After being pushed down a mountain I traded the SUV on the f250 diesel. Towing with the right vehicle my setup handled well and my confidence was back within the first two trips. I was no longer intimidated and towing was a happy experience. Now we are talking about a larger 5er and I'm intimidated again. Difference is now I'm intimidated by the height and having to worry about something even higher than I have now. Not intimidated by the length just wary of backing into spots with a longer 5er knowing that my 30 ft TT and 22 ft truck had a tight fit getting in. I know that the bigger I go, the more limited my camping spots and the more aware I need to be of height and of the ability to get in and out of places like gas stations and restaurants. I have to really look before pulling in and plan ahead enough to be Able to bypass a gas station that is too tight. Definitely practice backing and a neutering in an empty parking lot. Understand that while backing is easier with a longer TT, it does take a lot longer to respond to straightening or turning when backing. It also cuts narrower on turns when towing so sing wide but be aware of the whip where the back End kicks out at the end of a turn. my best advice to you is to skip the 3/4 ton and go 1 ton. pay attention to the payload on either truck and get enough payload to handle the loaded tongue weight (13-15% of loaded TT weight, you can calculate this using gvwr of TT as well). I have noticed several 3/4 ton and even some one tons with wimpy capacities if you don't pay attention to certain engine options etc. buy a truck big enough for the TT after the one you are currently looking at.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #9

I towed a Utah popup with a Ranger for a couple years. I think that the excitement about going on a trip gave me some anxiety - more so than the towing itself. Backing very slowly made it easy to get into spots.
I tow a 29' 8" TT with an F150 now. I think that the excitement about going on a trip gives me some anxiety - more so than the towing itself. Backing very slowly makes it easy to get into spots.
I am going to order an F350 to tow our future 34 foot TT. I think that the excitement about going on a trip will give me some anxiety...
Well...
You get the point.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
phat phrog stunt crew

Those who say a longer trailer is easier than a short one are lying.

sorry ependy .... i have to call bs on that. true they are both difficult in their own ways, but i prefer backing a long trailer over a short one. much easier to maneuver.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:53 PM   #11

I have pulled a lot of different trailers from highway tractor trailers to 12' atv trailers over the years so when we got our 39' FW I wasn't too nervous about getting around with it. What I wasn't prepared for was getting comfortable with the back end swing that this trailer has. While the wheelbase is relatively short making it quite maneuverable there is a lot of trailer past the rear wheels and getting comfortable where that back end is going to swing out to has been a challenge. My previous experience with trailers this length has had the wheels almost at the back of the unit.

As ependy said, if you want camp in the middle of the bush, then the 35'+ units probably aren't for you. Having said that, we camped 38 nights this summer at 14 different sites across the Prairies and we managed to fit into every one of them, some required more marriage counselling than others. At some CG the road getting to the site is more of a challenge than actually backing into the site.

My advice is to always take your time, park the truck and take a walk into your site so you can visualize what you need to do. As for getting down the road with any trailer of any size, look far ahead, signal early, and realize that you have less braking power than everyone else around you so give yourself lots of space.
CBergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 AM   #12

These were all excellent recommendation and different schools of thought.

Mine is simple and to the point.

Drive it like you stole it!

NHFire 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post

sorry ependy .... i have to call bs on that. true they are both difficult in their own ways, but i prefer backing a long trailer over a short one. much easier to maneuver.

X2 I have owned trailers of some sort for over 30 years

Shorter trailers are harder to back to a point (Depends on the trailer & the TV)

I have a 5 x 8 Fruehauf Box trailer that is a bear to back up if you are not familiar with it.... My 22 ft box trailer is much easier to back up but my flat car trailer is a pain.... since I upgraded to a duelly (actually I hate to pull the car hauler empty as I can't see it & don't feel it behind me ) Backing it turns alot before you can see it.

Now my 5th wheel is another story...... just personally it is harder to back the 36 ft than it was the 26 ft but most of that is my personal learning curve.....

Having said all that just takes practice, patience, & don't get in a rush...... & the biggest thing I can pass along is it takes longer to stop..... don't get in a position where you don't have enough room.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #14

All good advice. The only thing I would add is perhaps taking the truck and trailer to large parking lot, set out traffic cones and practice backing up.

Time and practice will overcome any uneasiness.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #15

Yes. All good advice for sure. I think to some degree we have all been there. From my experience I can say that you will get used to it and the camper will get 'smaller' with every trip so to speak. Next thing you'll be looking to upgrade to bigger once that happens! I tow a 42' 5er. This came after 3 yrs with a popup and 3 yrs with a 25' TT. It is a little daunting at first, yes, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised and also with how much better your new tow vehicle with handle it.
Selecting campgrounds and campsites blindly with a bigger unit can be hit and miss. We've all looked at the campground map online and the place looks huge and spacious only to find a different story when you get there. Seems that when you fill in the info for some campground bookings and specify your length and slides sometimes it gets overlooked. If CG staff had ever parked one of these they may think a little better about where to put you. I'm not one to shy away from back in sites and so far have not had a problem even with the big 5th wheel. If you are unsure or not 100% confident with your abilities just yet I'd suggest a pull thru site on CG's you have not been to before at least until you can get a look around and make note of some suitable sites.
I'm sure you will get used to it in good time like us all. As already said, just take your time, think ahead and enjoy!
5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post

I can mostly agree with that- but the challenge with a long trailer (35'+) is the amount of room in front of the site that you need to make it into the site. A smaller trailer wins every time which was the point that I was trying to make. You're trading one problem for a different one. That's all.

On edit- this is especially true for newbies (like me). Those of you with 20 years of experience have a whole different outlook than those of us with 3 years of experience. I still stand by my original statement that each is a challenge - for me I guess I can add.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBergstrom View Post
My advice is to always take your time, park the truck and take a walk into your site so you can visualize what you need to do.
With camping at Thousand Trails parks- they are almost all first come first served. Which means, you get to drive around and around the campground until you find a site the suits your fancy. On a couple of occasions now, we've dropped the camper in a parking lot and went and drove in just the truck to find our site. It's an extra hitching and unhitching, but isn't too bad.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #18

Yeah, I was scared for the first 5-6 hundred miles. Then I relaxed, and my white knuckles turned normal. Biggest problem I had was getting use to the semis when they would pass me. We are never in a hurry when towing our rig, which also helps. That, and we usually don't travel more than 3-5 hours a day. We get off the road early, and get back on the road early to avoid a lot of city traffic. This scenario also means we get plenty of R&R between our daily runs. If we know we are going to travel through a big city, we adjust our travel schedule to miss the traffic. One time we traveled through twin cities area at 2 am. So much easier traveling on empty freeways..
Old 09-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #19

I was petrified first time towing a TT. Picked it up on my way out camping. It was only about an hour of back roads driving but a front moving in provided us with 30 MPH winds and gusts up to 40. The wind was also at a 90 degree angle to us most of the way. I was not sure about my TT/TV combination at the time (some people on here would say I was headed for certain death and insurance problems) and I did not pay close enough attention to how the brake adjustment worked and drove most of the way with no TT brakes. I made it fine and I think the rough conditions the first time out conditioned me quicker to relax and enjoy myself. (Which I do by the way. I enjoy towing now and really look forward to it.)
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #20

For me, just learning something new is when I am safest. I recall learning to ski, and being fine until I got cocky, then looking like a pin wheel shedding skis, poles, hat, gloves, and dignity. A flight safety class I took said that 300 hour and 800 hour pilots are more prone to mistakes than students; not a lack of experience, but complacency can be the big risk.

Also, remember checklists - the less you have to think remember, the less you have to worry about on the road. I recall stopping to make double sure I inserted the ball safety pin just because I had winged it and didn't double check before departing.

Finally,