Old 10-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednkim09 View Post
Thanks for the responses.

Again, we already understood the fact that we CANNOT pull the Grey Wolf with the Aspen, I was just looking for further layman's explanation of the WHY.

We have purchased enough vehicles and such that we will not be "talked into" buying anything by desperate salesman, but thanks for the concern.

NWJeeper....don't really appreciate the "soccer Mom" reference. This is touted to be a "friendly, educational website'...let's keep it at that and not get personal,,,ehh?
Kim I was not referencing you directly but rather the "norm" of people who buy these types of rigs. Don't take it personally it wasn't meant that way. I was making the point that SUVs have suspensions not set up or meant for heavy duty towing.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #12

gotcha NWJeeper, no problem.

You are probably right. I think they (the auto industry, dealers at the most basic level) build up these mid level SUVs with a sort of false picture painted.

We did not get this vehicle knowing we were getting an RV, that kind of happened after the fact.

My husband enjoys scouting out exactly the 'right' vehicle for us...so now he has that project. Thanks

Old 10-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednkim09 View Post
gotcha NWJeeper, no problem.

You are probably right. I think they (the auto industry, dealers at the most basic level) build up these mid level SUVs with a sort of false picture painted.

We did not get this vehicle knowing we were getting an RV, that kind of happened after the fact.

My husband enjoys scouting out exactly the 'right' vehicle for us...so now he has that project. Thanks
I hear ya Kim. I went through it just a few month ago myself. Bought a bass boat and started panicking about what to tow it with. Seemed all we owned that would do it was our 37' motohome which is not ideal at a boat ramp. Turned out our Liberty was capable if not the ideal rig to do it, wheww! And you are correct in your assesment, the auto makers don't sit down at the drawing board and design SUVs for towing first and foremost. I really hope you guys buy the rig of your dreams and enjoy it as we do ours. Buy a good truck to tow that rig and keep yourselves safe.

Happy camping..
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 10-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #14

Guess I will throw this in this thread. After reading some of my posts, I might have came across as an a$$hole, sorry for that as I am not trying to be.
Personally, I learned the hard way about not enough truck with my last 1/2 ton. It had plenty of power to pull the loads, braking was marginal but perfectly fine for rural areas. WHere it lacked was stability and it showed up in a big way when I (stupidly) decide to pull a trailer loaded with another truck backwards causing 0 to ngative tongue weight in the rain. Yes, I wrecked the entire rig and had a very bad day and did a lot of damage.
Should I have been towing thr improperly loaded trailer? no
Would it have happened with either of my 3/4 ton trucks? no

What I am trying to say is in some cases the 1/2 ton is more than capable and well within its ratings to to a given trailer, but if somthing gets out of wack, the bigger truck can make up for it. Examples could be adding some goodies in the bed of the truck you found while out of town. Maybe a tire blowing. Maybe someone pulls out in front of you and you have to swerve hard. Or maybe you just do somthing stupid like I did. I knew better as I have dealt with trailers since a young age.
It is always better to have more than you need than to be marginal and just squeek by.
If you like your aspen and it is only 6 months old, why not look at a used 3/4 ton? The 01-05 gm gas burners seem to be going cheap for what you get right now, especially if it is 2wd.
Either way, good luck in the search.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #15

Kim,

I emailed you also, but in case you are still watching this thread.....

We have an Aspen we safely tow a 294 Surveyor with, although we do have the 5.7 liter engine and the tow package. I am not sure which model you are looking at but Surveyor has many models in there line-up of Super-Lites. As I mentioned in the email I did purchase a Hensley Arrow which helps with the whole wheel-base concerns. I was just like you prior to pruchasing our trailer.

Once you read the email response feel free to write back with any more questions you may have!
Hensley TruControl Gold Brake Controller
scweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #16
Grape Escape

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Funny you should mention the Jeep Liberty. We pull our 20' bass boat with our Liberty. The boat on the trailer is listed at about 3700# and I have to say that I wouldn't want to go great distances with it. In contrast the old Jeep Cherokee's were rated at around 5000# towing capacity but the Jeep Wranglers with the exact same size engine, transmission and gearing were only rated for less than 2000# The reason???? The wheelbase!

Kim I have to agree with Edman here, I don't understand why you are asking the question again when you were provided with ample data and reasoning from many knowledgeable people on this group the first time you posted.

That said I don't believe SUVs are suitable tow rigs as they come from the factory with flimsy wishy washy suspensions set up for soccer moms who want a nice cushy ride to the grocery store. Just because the manufacturer gives a vehicle a rating doesn't mean it should be used as a full time tow rig. Likewise just because a quad cab, long bed pickup says 4x4 on the side doesn't mean it's an off-road rig.

Kim take the advice that was already given to you here before.
Since when did you decide an SUV has a flimsy wishy washy suspension etc.
These vehicles are more than capable of truck like duties as they are basically a pickup built on the same framework only with an enclosed body. They may have a shorter wheelbase but the rest is the same.
Have pulled a 29'Rockwood all over the country with a Chevy Tahoe with zero issues and believe a Suburban could easily tow something longer.
Friends tow a 28' Rockwood with an Olds Bravada and have no issues either.
Perhaps the only "safe" tow vehicle has a Kenworth or Peterbuilt badge on it.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Since when did you decide an SUV has a flimsy wishy washy suspension etc.
These vehicles are more than capable of truck like duties as they are basically a pickup built on the same framework only with an enclosed body. They may have a shorter wheelbase but the rest is the same.
Have pulled a 29'Rockwood all over the country with a Chevy Tahoe with zero issues and believe a Suburban could easily tow something longer.
Friends tow a 28' Rockwood with an Olds Bravada and have no issues either.
Perhaps the only "safe" tow vehicle has a Kenworth or Peterbuilt badge on it.
Dezolen, Calm down.. No offence intended to those that have or do use SUVs to tow but I beg to differ that they are set up with the same suspensions as trucks. The American buying public demands soft "car like" rides in their SUVs and a majority of those that buy them do not use them as long haul tow rigs but rather a family car to take the kids to school and run errands. Step out of a Yukon and into a 3/4 ton truck and you will notice a big difference in the ride. That is because the do NOT share the same suspension set up or spring rates that a truck does. The engineers intentions when they go to the drawing board on an SUV is not as a tow vehicle, that is secondary to a soft ride and they are NOT the same as a pickup truck. They usually do not come with the same tires as the trucks (just look at the POS Ford Explorer which is a portly overweight SUV on car tires). You said it yourself they are capable of "truck like" duties but I would never substitue one for a truck when a truck is what is required. It's not just a matter of how much horsepower but handling in emergencies, breaking, etc that counts in a SAFE tow vehicle. Add to this the propensity of many owners to overload the rigs even before the trailer is added and it's a recipie for disaster. I humbly disagree with your assesment. Nuf said...

www.nwjeepn.com
Old 11-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
Grape Escape

I am calm
Old 11-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #19

Hello guys, I am the owner of an 04 Dodge Durango 5.7 hemi,(same vehicle as the Aspen)3.54 rear, towing package, HD radiator, tranny cooler, P.S. cooler, etc. I ALSO am the owner of an 06 Ram 1500, Quad cab, 5.7 hemi, 3.54 rear, towing package as well. Notice the Durango has the SAME drive train as the RAM, the only difference that I can see is the Durango is built on a Dakota frame, which is Dodge's mid sized truck. Therefore, the whole shebang is narrower than the Ram, making the stability somewhat wabbly. I had a Fleetwood/Coleman pop up that I traded in,on this V lite, and it would wag the dog swaying if you didn't have the sway bar brake on there to prevent it. Same camper pulled with the Ram- no swaying- could be pulled without the sway bar brake. Now I do realize that I am in need of a 3.92 rear, or at the very least a 3.73 on the Ram, but I had the vehicles before buying the camper, so I gotta fix the situation myself. The springs under both of these are virtually the same. While I haven't ever tried to tow my V lite with the Durango, I don't doubt that it could be done, I just personally feel it is too short and narrow. I have added helper springs to the ram for stability. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #20
Grape Escape

Sometimes we do not have the funds to continually upgrade our vehicles and make due with what we have. I personnally tow the trailer perhaps 12x per year and use vehicle as a daily driver for the other 320 days a year Sure it is nice to be able to tow with a 3/4 or 1 ton hd pickup but some cannot jutify one.
I had no fears for safety or ability to tow when we had an SUV and it was more than capable of doing the job as long as I used proper hitch assembly and had it set up properly. Never once did I feel sway from an 18 wheeler staying wiithin the speed limits (perhaps that is the secret)