Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #1

Towing with Honda Ridgeline

I have a 2008 Honda Ridgeline V6 with a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. Anyone know what type of Lite trailer will work for my Ridgeline...or do you recommend towing with a bigger truck and perhaps diesel???
huggiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #2

I tow my Rockwood Mini-Lite 2304 with a 4.3L Chevy V6 Silverado, Works well but I beefed up the suspension and added a transmission cooler. I stay between 60 and 65 mph. I camp about two hours away from home and have had 0 problems so far. I do wish I had a V8 for passing power and I am running close to the max towing capacity. I am planning a longer trip this fall. But so far so good. Really wish I had a V8 but can't afford a new truck right now. Happy Camping :-)
Old 08-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #3

The weight adds up fast!

You need some specs on your ridgeline - tow capacity is one - make sure what you read is applicable to your truck - some ratings you find have an * next to them regarding 'properly equipped' - meaning a tow package (gearing changes, trans cooler, sometimes other things too).

Next you'll want from your owners manual the GCWR - gross combined weight rating - that total weight of the truck, trailer and cargo (people, etc) that is allowed. Tow ratings assume only a driver in the tow vehicle - add in a wife, kids, dog, luggage, bikes, firewood, cooler, etc and you can up the load by 500-700 lbs, plus the weight of the hitch itself....this weight will come right off the tow rating - so that 5000 is more like 4300lbs.

OK, now you can look at trailers and you'll find 'dry weight' - that's usually the empty, dry, factory weight with no options and no cargo (food, bedding, chairs, mats, soap and dishes, etc) and no battery or propane or water (clean or dirty). Figure 1200 lbs for 'cargo' of all this stuff - you may have less, but probably not a lot. Now add on the weight of any options on your trailer and throw in a few pounds for water (a full tank can run 400 lbs or more, but figure 75 # just because you're hot water tank and hoses and traps will always have some water in them and it's not likely your tanks will be bone dry)

So take that 1200 off the 4300 and you're looking for a trailer with a listed weight of 3000 give or take - restricting you to popups I'd imagine, or maybe some tear drops or A style trailers.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #4

I own a Rockwood etc mini lite 185 which has a weight of 2700 lbs . It has a queen Murphy bed and two bunks. Small but very towable and perfect for 2 to 3 people.
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #5

My Mitsubishi endeavor has a 3500 lbs towing capacity which I'm at the limit of. However it tows fine and handles well so I'm sure the Honda could handle my type of trailer without problems. If I upgrade my vehicle which I plan to within 1year I will be looking at some sort of suv with the a 5000 lbs capacity.
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #6

My Frontier has a towing capacity of 6500 lbs, so when I was looking for a trailer I tried to find the lightest one I could and have decent tank capacities. In the end, I got the Wolf Pup with a base weight of 2683 lbs. When I loaded it up, I was just over 3700 lbs. No trouble pulling it, but my mpg were around 10-11 doing 60-65 mph.

I think your Honda will pull fine, just find something small and light weight.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #7

thanks for all your replys...I know what I need now...and feel confident of the pulling power of this Ridgeline
huggiecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Site Team

one issue with the Ridgeline, is that Honda states that you can't use a weight distributing hitch.
this was a big reason we chose not to buy a Ridgeline. for a company to say it's o.k. to tow but you can't use a WDH, is just wrong.
i have seen Ridgeline owners say they use one anyway. but i wasn't comfortable with the Ridgeline as a serious tow vehicle if you can't use a WDH.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #9

Funny that only a couple of years ago Honda was promoting it's Ridgeline towing a large boat, then had to feed his prize fish to the bear to get it out of the road..... I haven't seen much in promotions from them recently.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
Site Team

the Ridgeline is basically a Pilot with lower gearing. we loved it but when we got serious about towing a trailer through the Sierras, Cascades and Siskiyous, we decided we needed a bigger TV.
so we got the Avalanche which has 2200lbs. more towing capacity, seats 6 and gets basically the same gas mileage.

the Ridgeline is a great vehicle but any company that expects you to tow a travel trailer without a WDH, just doesn't care about their customers' safety and our safety.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote