Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Give me an example of Tire Traker going beyond their 3 yr warranty.
Guess I can't since I've not had mine for a year yet.
I'll get back to you in 4 years.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #22
Just Love to Camp

DH got his for Christmas this year it is a TEST

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #23

Let the contest begin . After my adventure with the tire over Thanksgiving I definitely want to get a monitor but, after looking at prices for the sensors I am thinking maybe I will start with 4 for the 5ver and add them for the Dually later. After perusing the threads on TPMS's I noticed that some people had add a repeater with the TST's what kind of range do they have? This has me leaning towards the Tire Minder.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #24

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Give me an example of Tire Traker going beyond their 3 yr warranty.
67 days beyond original warranty.
They overnighted a replacement sensor as we were traveling. I have only looked at 3-4 different brands but they all look alike, set up is almost identical and some now offer "through the stem" airing. An advantage for some but my tires don't loose air so removing them to check the tire independently is not a feature I need. This leads me to believe there is only one possibly 2 manufacturers, I think it is easy to get a bad set or sensor from any of them.

I originally had a set of TST but they would continually drop off line and replacement were not much better. I sent them back and got a refund.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #25

Hey Turbs you are running just 4 on your 5ver right none on your Tow Vehicle correct? I am looking at Tire Traker's website they have a package deal with 4 sensors for $219. Is this unit expandable like in the future if I want to add more sensors?
https://www.tiretraker.com/proddetail.php?prod=TT400C-4
Old 12-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #26

I'm also in the process of investing in a TPMS for my TT. However, I'm a little confused as I haven't seen anybody going with the internal sensors (ex. TST 507 Internal). Seems, at least to me, that they are the way to go, - nothing mounted externally. My logic here is that to go with the external ones I need to change my rubber valve stems to metal ones, hence taking the tires off the rims to do so. Therefore, if I have to do this, may as well go with the internal sensors(?) Am I missing something here? Any advice/suggestions would be most welcome.
mkillora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #27

I have the TST system and run it with rubber valve stems. No problems. When I eventually get new tires I will switch to metal valve stems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Hey Turbs you are running just 4 on your 5ver right none on your Tow Vehicle correct? I am looking at Tire Traker's website they have a package deal with 4 sensors for $219. Is this unit expandable like in the future if I want to add more sensors?
https://www.tiretraker.com/proddetail.php?prod=TT400C-4
My truck already has tpms so no need too add them.

Tire traker has the ability to monitor from 4 to 22 sensors .

Start with 4 and add sensors as needed.

Yesterday I took the sensors off my 5th wheel and installed them on my snowmobile trailer for the season.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkillora View Post
I'm also in the process of investing in a TPMS for my TT. However, I'm a little confused as I haven't seen anybody going with the internal sensors (ex. TST 507 Internal). Seems, at least to me, that they are the way to go, - nothing mounted externally. My logic here is that to go with the external ones I need to change my rubber valve stems to metal ones, hence taking the tires off the rims to do so. Therefore, if I have to do this, may as well go with the internal sensors(?) Am I missing something here? Any advice/suggestions would be most welcome.
I believe the sensor is part of the tpms sensor.

Automotive ones are mostly that way.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #30

X2 I agree their customer is excellent
Old 12-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
My truck already has tpms so no need too add them.

Tire traker has the ability to monitor from 4 to 22 sensors .

Start with 4 and add sensors as needed.

Yesterday I took the sensors off my 5th wheel and installed them on my snowmobile trailer for the season.
Thanks I actually went to their website and read about the expandability tried to edit my post but I guess since I edited once it wouldn't let me do it edit it again. Do you have any problems with communication or did you have to add a repeater?
Old 12-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Thanks I actually went to their website and read about the expandability tried to edit my post but I guess since I edited once it wouldn't let me do it edit it again. Do you have any problems with communication or did you have to add a repeater?
I've not had any communication issues.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
From what I understand, the internal sensors have to be replaced when the batteries go dead and the 507 flow thru batteries can be replaced. All 4 for less than $15. Metal valve stems are less than $10 for 4.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #34

I have been running TST 507, 4 sensor system on two fiver's and on my motorcycle trailer, two years old, still going strong. I take them off when not in use, thus preserving the replaceable batteries. Easy on, easy off.
When making my purchase decision, I contacted the factory in Cumming GA, they answered all my questions and price matched the price from one of their authorized dealers.
Here is a good video that may answer questions on the unit as well as their website. They are what many long haulers use.
http://tsttruck.com/

Addendum: No extender needed. In my discussion with the company, it is rare that you will need one with this unit.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Seems to me that the external sensors have the advantage that when the batteries go dead, you can pop them off and replace them. If you get the internal sensors (which seems like a good idea if you have to dismount the tire anyway to replace the rubber stems with metal ones--but which you apparently don't really have to do anyway,) then you have to also dismount the tire every time you need to replace a battery. That could get real old real quick.

DW ordered the TST 507 from Amazon today!!!! Can't wait...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #36

We have been camping at Hillsborough River State Park since Monday going to start closing things up in a few hours and head back to the Ranch. I will call Tire Traker tomorrow and order a kit.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Seems to me that the external sensors have the advantage that when the batteries go dead, you can pop them off and replace them. If you get the internal sensors (which seems like a good idea if you have to dismount the tire anyway to replace the rubber stems with metal ones--but which you apparently don't really have to do anyway,) then you have to also dismount the tire every time you need to replace a battery. That could get real old real quick.

DW ordered the TST 507 from Amazon today!!!! Can't wait...

IMO, you made the best choice. The batteries on the 507 are easy to replace but the bottom line is that if you remove them when not in use, you should get years from them. The security lock is just an allen wrench type making them very easy to remove. There is also a lot of hype about metal valve stems...yes, but only on the early models. The 507's are light weight. I run them on my cycle trailer which has rubber stems...no problems. Keeping an eye on the monitor from time to time also keeps your alert while driving...not really needed as you set the alarms for pressure and temperatureut, but still cool.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #38

I just purchased the TST system with the non pass thru caps and I plan on using them with the rubber valve stems until I change the tires, then I will go with steel stems.

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #39

What's the difference between the flo- thru vs. the non flo-thru? I'm presuming ease of checking pressure as well as adding air?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forest River Forums
mkillora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #40

Quote:
What's the difference between the flo- thru vs. the non flo-thru? I'm presuming ease of checking pressure as well as adding air?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forest River Forums
That is correct