Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
swampdonkey772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: California
Posts: 204
Trailer suspension

Ok all you very knowledgable folks. I recently got a 2014 Chaparral 29BHS 5er. The trailer has no shocks only leafs. Are there benefits to adding shocks? Are the run of the mill bolt on one's worth a darn? I can't believe a newer trailer didn't come with them from the factory
__________________

swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 4,875
Very few RV towables come from the factory with shocks. And most don't need them.

We tow ours (around 12k at the most when loaded) on dirt roads frequently and have no problems. Would shocks smooth the ride for the RV? I'm sure, but are they actually necessary? Nope.

But I know several folks that added them. They say they can't really tell the difference when actually towing, but stuff in the RV isn't jostled about as much. Your guess is as good as mine on how they actually know that
__________________

__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
swampdonkey772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: California
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Very few RV towables come from the factory with shocks. And most don't need them.

We tow ours (around 12k at the most when loaded) on dirt roads frequently and have no problems. Would shocks smooth the ride for the RV? I'm sure, but are they actually necessary? Nope.

But I know several folks that added them. They say they can't really tell the difference when actually towing, but stuff in the RV isn't jostled about as much. Your guess is as good as mine on how they actually know that
Awesome. Thanks for the insight. So they are not necessarily improving towability?
swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 4,875
Some folks swear they dramatically improve towability, others claim they have no affect on towability.

I think it depends on whether you have them or not

All I can say is my friends who have towed both ways say they couldn't tell the difference from the tow vehicle. None of my towables have ever had shocks.

But I do know an air-ride fifth wheel hitch does make a difference
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
TheMusikShoppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 207
We have a different system. We had the MoreRyde independent suspension/disk brake combo added to our Vengeance Touring. I can tell you that there is a huge difference in how it tows. I also accidentally left a couple of spice bottles out on the counter when we were on the AlCan heading to Alaska and when we stopped, the bottles hadn't moved.

I have heard that shocks alone don't do much, but if you have the money, this setup is awesome!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180313_160646913.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	189787
__________________
2001 Ford F-350 7.3 dually
2000 Salem T23 (sold)
2015 Vengeance Touring 39R12 (We love it!)
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
swampdonkey772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: California
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusikShoppe View Post
We have a different system. We had the MoreRyde independent suspension/disk brake combo added to our Vengeance Touring. I can tell you that there is a huge difference in how it tows. I also accidentally left a couple of spice bottles out on the counter when we were on the AlCan heading to Alaska and when we stopped, the bottles hadn't moved.

I have heard that shocks alone don't do much, but if you have the money, this setup is awesome!Attachment 189787
Holy Hell. I'd hate to even think what that costs
swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
TheMusikShoppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 207
It wasn't cheap, but our rig is fine after 9000 miles up and down from Alaska.

Hubby wants to ride in the back while I take it on a bumpy road just to see what it's like. I'll post it whenever he decides to do it.
__________________
2001 Ford F-350 7.3 dually
2000 Salem T23 (sold)
2015 Vengeance Touring 39R12 (We love it!)
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
swampdonkey772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: California
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusikShoppe View Post
It wasn't cheap, but our rig is fine after 9000 miles up and down from Alaska.

Hubby wants to ride in the back while I take it on a bumpy road just to see what it's like. I'll post it whenever he decides to do it.
I'm still trying to figure out if this will be our "forever" trailer or if we will give it up in a few years. Don't want to drop that kind of change on suspension
swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
TheMusikShoppe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 207
We've had this rig since 2014 and will probably keep it for many years to come. If you're not sure about keeping it, I wouldn't do it.

I know that several companies have different equalizers that are supposed to help.

http://www.morryde.com/products/89-l...2F4-suspension
__________________
2001 Ford F-350 7.3 dually
2000 Salem T23 (sold)
2015 Vengeance Touring 39R12 (We love it!)
TheMusikShoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
SilhouettePenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 1,419
If you can find the Lippert shock mount kit (stud mount on both ends) without the cheap China shocks, it will make a difference in the way your trailer behaves. Shocks are a necessity on our rear kitchen unit. Use the Monroe shocks from Amazon part # 555025, much better shock than the Lippert stuff. Self threading bolts are included in the kit. Fastenal has additional hardware if you need.
__________________

__________________
2017 F350 Dually 6.7
2019.5 Hathaway

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
suspension, trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.


×