Old 07-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
Trailer vs 5th wheel stability

We gave a rockwood 2608 which seems to rock quite a bite. Since we're going to move up to a 5th wheel soon we've decided not to install strong arm stabilizers. Question. Will the 5th wheel be more stabile in general or will I probably have to install some system on this as well?

robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #2
Anything on wheels will rock while parked. Strongarms will definitely help but nothing is 100℅. Our latest 5ver has the 6 point level up and it's the most stable we have had but I will be adding the Steadyfast system this fall. I picked Steadyfast as it has less mount points and no t-handle tightener to lose. Good luck in your quest for stability!!!

Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
I've had JT's on all my fivers as depending on how extended the landing gear is and what kind of rear stabilizers you have ... they wiggle as well. With my new Silverback and the level up system ... it too depends on how extended the cylinders are, but wobble is much less. I went ahead and put JT's on it because hauling around a pile of wood to stack under the landing gear legs to make the extension shorter kinda defeats part of what level up is supposed to eliminate. Yes ... I know some have been told that you cannot put JT's on hydraulic level up legs ... but you can. As for loosing the T's on JT's ... just buy the velcro straps with holes on one end and wrap them around the T's ... works.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
Nope, no more stable. If you haven't bought yet, I'm partial to SteadyFast stabilizers.

And then there are other things you can try:
Learn To RV: Shake, shake, shake - RV Stabilization
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
My brother had a Rockwood TT with rear bunks (don't know model but it was ~ 34' long or so and I think a 2006). He tried JT's, reinforcing the stock cheap stab jacks plus a couple of other complicated gadgets things to get rid of the rocking and never succeeded. I know that the RV's that you're talking about are very different units but my point is that I think it's in the design of the particular rig. Where are the axles located, what kind and/or type of tires (heavy duty or light duty), what kind of stab jacks and where are they located and how are they mounted, what kind of wheel chocks - he used the plain old wedge style (we use Roto-Chock which "locks" the tires together and sadly are no longer made), etc.
John M
2013 GMC Sierra 2500DH CC, 4x4, D/A
2016 Forest River Vengeance 25V TT/TH
johnm1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
We over the years have had 3 travel trailers and 1 5th wheel.

All 3 travel trailers had the electric stabilizer jacks and moved quite a bit.

The 5th wheel is a CC 36CKTS and came with the 6 point hydraulic leveling system and is very stable, we like this much better and don't feel it needs to be modified.
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW LB 4X4
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (My Last FR Product)
20,000 LB Reese GooseBox Hitch
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
We are on our first 5th wheel (Cardinal 3250) after several TT's. We have the six-point hydraulic leveling system, which we love, but we also use chocks on each wheel and wheel locks that lock both wheels on each side together. In addition, we place 2-3 leveling blocks under each of the six hydraulic jacks in order to limit their downward travel while leveling. This limits the amount of extension for each hydraulic rod and helps to stabilize the trailer.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
Keep in mind that rigs that can have the 6 (or 4) point leveling systems installed are in a different category. The frames are stronger, the whole rig is heavier and usually of much better build quality.
John M
2013 GMC Sierra 2500DH CC, 4x4, D/A
2016 Forest River Vengeance 25V TT/TH
johnm1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #9
You need to install the SteadyFast system on your new 5th wheel, well worth the effort and great support from the owner/maker of this product.
1999 F250 w/7.3L Diesel
2014 Silhouette 299RKDS
Nights Camped 2016 - 21

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #10
Site Team
I have the jt strongarms on my fiver to help. Also use the x chocks. Eliminates most of the wiggle. In answer to your question, no you will still have shake. I hear a kingpin tripod can help but haven't tried it yet.

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, trailer, wheel