Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #1

Trailer weight

Ok I've read enough great info here to know I needed to check my GCVW. My TV is a 2016 Ram eco diesel 4x4 and TT is a Freedom express 246 Rks. So as we left for a trip I stopped at the scales. Truck from factory is #5400, GAWR 3900 front and rear, truck payload #6900,GCVW is 14500. I can see my back Axel is over loaded. My problem is trailer weight. From the factory the trailer supposedly weighed 5200 delivered. How can it be 5400 now. And no I don't have tongue weight yet. Is that where magic will happen? ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190518_143342319.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	204877
cardp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #2

Dry weight means nothing (that is the shipping weight). Now add battery, propane tank, water, food , clothes and all the other needed equipment you need to camp. That could easily add several hundred pounds. Much better to figure weight by the gross weight and adjust from there. Also the WD hitch adds tongue weight.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #3

5200 lbs "dry weight" or "unloaded vehicle weight" doesn't include battery and other "options." It's a bare bones weight. No TT ever left the factory actually weighing that number.

From your Freedom Express Ultra Lite brochure (small print on back page):

UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)* - is the typical weight of the unit as manufactured at the factory.
It includes all weight at the unit’s axle(s) and tongue or pin and LP Gas. The UVW does not include
cargo, fresh potable water, additional optional equipment or dealer installed accessories.
*Estimated Average based on standard build optional equipment.

This is standard wording in most brochures.

Also, their website says the UVW of your unit is 4700 lbs, with a GVWR of 7000 lbs. Where did you get 5200 lbs from?

Freedom Express Ultra Lite 246RKS Coachmen RV | Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheels, Motorhomes & Tent Campers

And when you say you "left for a trip," I would assume that means you've loaded it with pots,pans, dishes, bedding, etc., etc. So I'm not sure why you were expecting it to weigh anything close to the UVW.

You also don't say how you weighed the TT. Did you have it on a single scale with no truck involved? Typically you weigh 3 times on a 3-section scale.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Dry weight means nothing (that is the shipping weight). Now add battery, propane tank, water, food , clothes and all the other needed equipment you need to camp. That could easily add several hundred pounds. Much better to figure weight by the gross weight and adjust from there. Also the WD hitch adds tongue weight.
Realize that that's why the 5400 figure doesn't compute
Old 05-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
5200 lbs "dry weight" or "unloaded vehicle weight" doesn't include battery and other "options." It's a bare bones weight. No TT ever left the factory actually weighing that number.

UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)* - is the typical weight of the unit as manufactured at the factory.
It includes all weight at the unit’s axle(s) and tongue or pin and LP Gas. The UVW does not include
cargo, fresh potable water, additional optional equipment or dealer installed accessories.

Also, their website says the UVW of your unit is 4700 lbs, with a GVWR of 7000 lbs. Where did you get 5200 lbs from?

Freedom Express Ultra Lite 246RKS Coachmen RV | Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheels, Motorhomes & Tent Campers

And when you say you "left for a trip," I would assume that means you've loaded it with pots,pans, dishes, bedding, etc., etc. So I'm not sure why you were expecting it to weigh anything close to the UVW.

You also don't say how you weighed the TT. Did you have it on a single scale with no truck involved? Typically you weigh 3 times on a 3-section scale.
I was on a cat truck scale.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

I am loaded that's why I never expected a 5400 pd trailer axle
Old 05-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #7

I also weighed my setup and discovered I am over my GVWR and rear axle weight limits after fuel, passengers and camping gear are loaded into my Frontier.
But I am well under my tow and GCVWR limits, that's how I got sucked into thinking I could manage to pull the Surveyor. Novices like me (returning to TT's after a long hiatus) only think tow rating and not weight ratings.
I am leaning towards another TV purchase.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Agree, so I expected trailer axle weight of 6000-7000
Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #9

Are you using a WD hitch? I am reading this as there is only 5400lbs on the trailer axles, but the trailer weighs more. It is just that the roughly 15% of the trailer weight (tongue weight) is sitting on the trucks rear axle and not being added to the trailer axle. That would put your trailer around 6300lbs with 900lbs tongue weight=5400lbs on the trailer axles. I had an ecodiesel and pulled a travel trailer. You need to have a WD hitch or tighten the bars on the hitch to transfer more weight to your front axle. Unloaded that axle is probably around 3500-3600lbs, you need to get it at least back to there which will pull weight off your rear axle as well. Should be within all numbers once that is done.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamakee1 View Post
Are you using a WD hitch? I am reading this as there is only 5400lbs on the trailer axles, but the trailer weighs more. It is just that the roughly 15% of the trailer weight (tongue weight) is sitting on the trucks rear axle and not being added to the trailer axle. That would put your trailer around 6300lbs with 900lbs tongue weight=5400lbs on the trailer axles. I had an ecodiesel and pulled a travel trailer. You need to have a WD hitch or tighten the bars on the hitch to transfer more weight to your front axle. Unloaded that axle is probably around 3500-3600lbs, you need to get it at least back to there which will pull weight off your rear axle as well. Should be within all numbers once that is done.
Yes I have Husky WD hitch. But the trailer was unloaded when it was setup. I have a feeling I need to readjust the hitch. I am getting the truck weighed this week to have a reference. Thanks for the input
Old 05-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardp1 View Post
Yes I have Husky WD hitch. But the trailer was unloaded when it was setup. I have a feeling I need to readjust the hitch. I am getting the truck weighed this week to have a reference. Thanks for the input
Oh and yes your reading right. The trailer dry is 5200 pds so I knew 5400 loaded can't be right
Old 05-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #12

Not only are you over RAWR you have exceeded the truck's GVWR by 440LB; 3260(frt axle)+4080(rear axle)-6900(gvwr) = 440LB over GVWR.

Keep in mind the trailer axle weight is not the complete trailer weight as the scale has no idea how much weight is on the tongue unless you measure the tongue weight separately or do the proper 3-weight weighs (Truck + trailer hitched without WDH bars on, Truck + trailer hitched with WDH on, truck weighed by itself with WDH bars in the bed).

Using these 3 weights you can tell a lot about your setup and where adjustments should be made.

With trailer axle weights of 5,400LB and expecting 10%-15% on the tongue that puts your approximate tongue weight around 600-950LB and your total trailer weight at 6,000-6,350LB. That puts your total trailer weight in the range where you expected it to be.

So 180LB over RAWR and 440LB over GVWR. That's not horrible and with proper WDH adjustment and a "weight loss plan" (Remove anything from the truck and trailer that you don't need) or redistribution of weight depending on what your actual tongue weight is (Shoot for 12%, IMO), I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get back within the truck's limits. If your trailer is tongue heavy and closer to 15% then move the heavier items rear of the trailer's axles to bring that weight down closer to 12%. Also don't travel with water in your fresh water tank if it is mounted in front of the trailer's axles as that will increase tongue weight as well.

Unfortunately, max tow ratings for non-HD trucks and even some 3/4-ton HD pickups aren't real due to payload limits. The max tow rating listed by the mfr for a truck model is for the base model 2WD truck with no options. The actual max tow rating for each truck depends on factory payload capacity (listed on the tire placard on the B-pillar) minus driver and any additional people/gear put in/on the truck. Like dry weight, "max tow rating" is a fantasy for just about everyone.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardp1 View Post
Ok I've read enough great info here to know I needed to check my GCVW. My TV is a 2016 Ram eco diesel 4x4 and TT is a Freedom express 246 Rks. So as we left for a trip I stopped at the scales. Truck from factory is #5400, GAWR 3900 front and rear, truck payload #6900,GCVW is 14500. I can see my back Axel is over loaded. My problem is trailer weight. From the factory the trailer supposedly weighed 5200 delivered. How can it be 5400 now. And no I don't have tongue weight yet. Is that where magic will happen? ThanksAttachment 204877
You need a second weigh, to weigh the truck separate then subtract it from the total 12,760 for the trailer weight.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
You need a second weigh, to weigh the truck separate then subtract it from the total 12,760 for the trailer weight.

Thankyou
Old 05-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #15

Thank you very informative I'll be working it this weekend
Old 05-21-2019, 01:18 PM   #16
REL

Fill the he truck with fuel, DEF, and extras you may have in the truck when towing..fill the camper as if you were leaving, gear, food ,water, generator fuel, what ever you will be hauling to the campsite....adjust your hitch if necessary.... Now to the scales... don't forget to include the family you need them in the vehicle to get a true weight....first weigh the truck only, then hitch the trailer with the WD, NOT hooked up..the difference between these two weighs is the tounge weight..... tounge weight plus trailer axle weight gives you trailer weight...finally hook up the WD and weigh again...that will give you axle weights.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, weight