Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
I have had two claims with farmers and I must say for me they are the best

first claim they cut me a check on the spot and the 2nd claim I had direct deposit the next day
I agree although haven't had to use a different company yet. They offered to cut me the check but 1 of 3 guaranteed shops were 1.5hrs away from me and I didn't want to make that trip more than 2 times due to work. The only thing, is on the auto policies side (which seems like an industry deal) is that the premiums seem to creep up every year. To the OP, If I remember correctly without looking at my policy, I believe I pay $10 extra on top of my truck.
Cidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #42

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your input.
Twobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #43

Parked our trailer for 2 years and when we returned, we found the front of the roof rubber was peeled back and we had major roof damage. I filed a claim with State Farm with zero details other than we had roof damage and didn't know how or when it occurred. The trailer was 15 years old and probably worth $7-8K but they approved an $8K roof replacement. It had a non-walkable soft roof with wooden bows and it was replaced with a plywood walk on roof.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #44

Military? USAA the only way to go.

Two cars, two houses, TT, and umbrella about $400 a month. TT is only $40 every six months. Limb fell through my roof. USAA paid $8k replacement with no muss no fuss. I love their take it here, pay your deductible, life time guarantee on all repairs.

USAA is now available to any one who served in any of the seven uniformed services regardless of rank. Member owned company and I receive about $2k back each year.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:37 PM   #45

We have Safeco car insurance that covered $8,000.00 worth of water damage from leaky roof from tree branches putting tears in the rubberized paint. Same deductible as the car. It took several weeks to repair the damage.
wnew813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #46

Just filed a claim with Geico which was denied. Had dropped off the trailer at the dealer for some warranty work. Picked it up a couple months later and took it out, but found extensive water damage and mold in the front half of the trailer. They sent a field adjuster to look at it and she felt it was a roof leak. They view that as normal wear and tear instead of something with a direct cause, so wouldn’t cover it.

Odd thing is I could never find a real source of the water... we have been in heavy rain before and never had a leak. One of the first things I did was run a hose for 20 minutes on top of the roof, but never saw anything. So either it’s a very slow leak or well hidden.
UsefulDrivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:36 PM   #47

Insurance

I have Shelter Ins. Check them out. They aren't in every state yet. Well satisfied.
1eyeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:42 AM   #48
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
I think there is some confusion. Most auto policies will cover trailers while in tow. Now of course amounts and coverage will vary. But to insure the camper from damage, theft, etc while not being towed, you need a separate policy.
Homeowners covers it while parked on your property, at least mine does.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:00 AM   #49

Travel trailer insurance claims

I have Progressive and my new Creek was hit in a campground by an Allstate insurance owner. Allstate has a bad rep so I just let Progressive handle recovery and it has went very well. Their rep named Amanda has been most gracious to me in this difficult time. My local insurance agents have answered myriad questions as well. [emoji41]Progressive just covers my property my truck insurance covers my liability and I also have an umbrella. Peace
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #50

i may be a bit off on my understanding but there are several comments about the trailer being covered by the auto policy when being towed and by the homeowners when disconnected. it is my understanding that these trailer coverages are only for liability, not for comprehensive and collision for the trailer. if you want these coverages for the trailer that is why you need to buy a separate trailer policy.

my understanding on an auto policy is that liability is associated with the owner or insured named in the policy and is not tied to a specific vehicle. the comprehensive and collision is based upon the specific vehicles included on the policy. similar with homeowners.

again i may be wrong. any insurance agents out there that can clearly state this?
Old 05-24-2019, 07:26 AM   #51

I’m not sure on liability not tied to a the specific vehicle, I think it is (maybe 60%) then the liability umbrella covers all policies provided by the insurance carrier.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:57 AM   #52

All State

We had all state on our travel trailer and now on our fifth wheel which is new so no claims. Had an awning ripped off travel trailer, $2650 to replace less my $25 deductible, sent an adjuster out to our dealer and approved everything.
Capnet64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #53

We went with Progressive. We had specific coverages we were looking for. Compared side-by-side with GEICO exact same coverage. Geico was $150 a year more expensive. Thanks again everyone.
Twobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #54
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i may be a bit off on my understanding but there are several comments about the trailer being covered by the auto policy when being towed and by the homeowners when disconnected. it is my understanding that these trailer coverages are only for liability, not for comprehensive and collision for the trailer. if you want these coverages for the trailer that is why you need to buy a separate trailer policy.
If a tree falls on my trailer while it's parked in my back yard, that's covered by my homeowners. If someone breaks into my trailer at a campground and steals my TV (not that it's worth that much, lol), that is covered under my comprehensive auto policy, same as if the theft was from the car.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #55

I have National General. Actual RV insurance. I had a claim three years ago when my now ex boyfriend got too close to a gas pump and sheered off the side panel of my then brand new Travel trailer . Claim processed with no issues. And extremely reasonably priced. Just over $200 for the year, which of course depends on where you live and what type of unit .
Royalhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:52 AM   #56

Insurance experience.

We have had two incidents with trailers where then ended up in the shop with serious damage.
The first in 1991 the trailer fishtailed off of a dirt road in the snow and ended up hanging over an embankment with a severely bent frame. It was towable so we got it home OK. Our insurance at the time was GICO. They looked at it and had us take it to the factory with was nearby. The factory basically put a whole new frame and axels under the box. No problem.
The second was two years ago, we were rear ended 700 miles from home. The box was shifted 2 inches on the frame. Our insurance was with National General through Good Sam. We thought the rig was totaled. The local Camping World couldn't touch it, so insurance payed for us to rent a U Haul to take all our stuff out of the trailer and haul it home, while they had the trailer towed to the factory in Illinois. Long story short the TT a WRSL 30 from Forest river has been home in FL., and we've put about 12K on it since.

Anyway, that is our experience with insurance.
dlambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #57

We have Progressive. Had to use it once and was very pleased with how responsive they were. I know others have not had such good experiences, but we do like what we have.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #58

Liability insurance is for units with a motor.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #59

I have AAA and have had no issues with them dealing with claims or anything on my '17 Wildwood 27' TTRKSS
bgoldsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #60

Farm Bureau

We have Farm Bureau also and they covered our TT......
postmandug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, trailer, travel, travel trailer