Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #1

Travel trailer or fifth wheel?

I have a 2010 F150 145 wheelbase 4x4 super cab with 5.4l engine and 3.55 rear gears. I am looking at a rockwood 2703ws or flagstaff 27rlws. Is this a good combination? What length should I try to stay at on a travel trailer? The dealer mentioned we could tow a fifth wheel. If so, what king pin weight would be my limit? Does anyone have any recommendations on a model for either version? We want something that we can retire in full time, so we need some space. Thank you for all your helpful advice.
birdnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

If it were me, I would limit a 5er pin wt to 1100# maximum (advertised). It pretty well limits you to a rear kitchen floor plan.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #3

First piece if advice....don't listen to the salesman. The majority of them are only looking to make a sale. Plenty of stories about them overselling what your tv can safely pull.
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumba View Post
First piece if advice....don't listen to the salesman. The majority of them are only looking to make a sale. Plenty of stories about them overselling what your tv can safely pull.
X2!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #5

Do your homework. These boards are a wealth of knowledge. Know your weight limitations and your ability to pull what you get. Power is knowlege. Go in there armed with knowing exactly what YOU want. Not what the salesman wants you to have.
Wumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #6

You need to check and understand what the specs of your truck will allow you to pull. This will put you in the ballpark to determine your upper limit when looking at the fifth wheel and travel trailer specs. There are so many floor plans to choose from you must determine where you want the maximum space in your unit and what features are important to you. I can not stress enough to visit as many dealers and RV makes as possible, especially if you plan on spending considerable time in the unit.

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #7

You're options will be limited with a 5th wheel due to the payload capacity of the F150. Not too many 5th's out there with hitch weights under the payload of most F150's without the HD payload option and Max Tow options on them.
But I have seen quite a few 5ths out there being towed by an F150, but I wouldn't do it.
2013 Nights Booked: 38
2013 Nights Camped: 40
pwrplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
Always Learning

If you're of the camp that says you should stay within all of your truck's ratings, then you can read my blog page on "What can I tow?". It'll give you an idea of how to calculate the size (well weight- be weight usually dictates size) of camper you can tow and stay within specs.

That said, many people choose to exceed their truck's maximum carrying capacity as long as they're within the rear axle ratings as well as their tire loading capacities. The same idea applies with this for getting weighed and doing the math.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Newbie.

As far as travel trailer goes, I hauled a 7800lb 32 foot spree bunkhouse with a f150 with zero issues. You're better off going with the larger travel trailer than the tiny 5er in my opinion. Your options are greater that way as far as living space goes.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #10

Before you do ANYTHING else, pull out your owners manual and read it. It should tell you somewhere in there what the towing capacity of your truck is. And not all F150's are the same, so don't let anyone tell you "Oh, an F-150 can pull XXXX lbs." My 2009 Silverado manual lists 99 (NINTEY NINE!!) different towing capacities ranging from 4,400 lbs to 13,000 lbs, depending on cab, engine, rear end gearing, transmission, cooling packages, towing packages, etc.

Looking here http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../10f12og3e.pdf I looked at your owners manual and it lists 62 permutations ranging from 5100 lbs to 11,300 lbs.
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Before you do ANYTHING else, pull out your owners manual and read it. It should tell you somewhere in there what the towing capacity of your truck is. And not all F150's are the same, so don't let anyone tell you "Oh, an F-150 can pull XXXX lbs." My 2009 Silverado manual lists 99 (NINTEY NINE!!) different towing capacities ranging from 4,400 lbs to 13,000 lbs, depending on cab, engine, rear end gearing, transmission, cooling packages, towing packages, etc.

Looking here www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOAF12/~MUS~LEN/36/10f12og3e.pdf I looked at your owners manual and it lists 62 permutations ranging from 5100 lbs to 11,300 lbs.
All the info he needs is on the sticker inside the drivers door on the B pillar. Payload, axle ratings etc for his specific truck not a generic spec.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #12

With the truck you have, I'd have to say the travel trailer is going to be the way to go due to the lack of payload on the truck. Regardless of the pin weight a fifth wheel is going to take up a LOT of air space. Air space means more resistance meaning harder to pull as well as catches a lot more side wind! With the half ton pickup you don't have much weight, nor can the 5er weigh too much but it still takes up a lot of air space... A lot of air space taken up and lightly loaded in a cross wind is a BAD thing!

Another fear I am seeing for you is regardless of what you buy, I feel you will not like the 3.55 gears... Those are a mileage based gear set and tend to be a bit shallow for towing. Not saying they wont do the job as they will and they will do it all day long for you without any trouble! Just be aware that you will have to spin the motor just that much faster to maintain speed. As well as your transmission will probably be shifting more often than not... again, not saying it wont do it nor am I suggesting not to, just wanting to forewarn you...

I'm certain the majority of us have gone through at least a couple of trucks and trailers till they found what they wanted... I went from tenting, to pop up to entry level travel trailer to the one I have now within 2 years... In the two years I also went through 4 trucks! Lets just say the court house knows me by name now!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wumba View Post
Yup. Been there; done that!!!
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Defies logic, but we have not noticed any change in gas mileage going from a Flagstaff 831RLSS tt to the Flagstaff8528RKWS 5er. Was getting 9.5 to 11.5 before depending on head wind and speed and it's still in that range. Speed is the big gas mileage killer.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
With the truck you have, I'd have to say the travel trailer is going to be the way to go due to the lack of payload on the truck. Regardless of the pin weight a fifth wheel is going to take up a LOT of air space. Air space means more resistance meaning harder to pull as well as catches a lot more side wind! With the half ton pickup you don't have much weight, nor can the 5er weigh too much but it still takes up a lot of air space... A lot of air space taken up and lightly loaded in a cross wind is a BAD thing!

A fifth wheel is no doubt harder to pull with a headwind, but I am not so sure about a side wind. Don't forget that a truck and fifth wheel act like a single unit, whereas a bumper hitch camper will get hit full force by any side wind.
But, in the long run, that wouldn't be the major determining factor.

If the OP would be satisfied with a fifth wheel his truck could handle, then I still think that would be the better choice.
A fifthwheel/truck combo is always much shorter that a truck and bumper-hitch camper of the same floor space. That means a unit that is easier to maneuver and park.
A fifth wheel eliminates the need for a sway-control hitch, and usually pulls better with less tendency to move around.
A fifth wheel just about always has much more storage space, as they have the "basement" under the bedroom/bath area.

The only real negative to a fifth wheel is that it is higher, and so one has to watch for over-hanging trees and such. But some of the new bumper-hitch campers are not all that much shorter, as the floors ride about 3 feet off the ground, which has always left me scratching my head what the factory is thinking.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:38 AM   #16

I traded my Travel trailer for a fifth wheel trailer and my wife and I couldn't be any happier.
rambilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambilt View Post
I traded my Travel trailer for a fifth wheel trailer and my wife and I couldn't be any happier.
Congratulations, now for some pictures.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Congratulations, now for some pictures.
rambilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #19
Steve Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambilt View Post
Nice rig! I want that truck too!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #20

I too went from a 29 foot travel trailer to a 5w and the experience has been great!!!!
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote