Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #1

Trying to learn about 5th wheels

We recently bought a used 2008 5th wheel trailer. The hitch (I think that is what you would call it) came with it. I am having a horrible time finding someone to install it in the back of our pick-up. The one person that actually called me back said, "they would only install brand new hitches because of the liability". Is that what I need to do? Get a brand new hitch? Or should I keep looking for a installer? Plus, I truly don't even know if I am asking the right question when I call. What terminology should I be using so they understand what I am trying to accomplish. I have learned much about my trailer but this and finding the right product for resealing the seams of your fiberglass 5th wheel has been about as much fun as sitting on a tack.
Maggie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #2

Have you considered installing it yourself? Find instructions for your truck, get the proper hardware, drill the needed holes and set the bolts to proper torque. And you also need trailer electrical connector and brake controller.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

Simply "5th wheel hitch" should be a proper and understandable name for it. The part on the trailer side is called kingpin.
BTW, is the truck long bed or short bed? If it is short bed you would need a sliding hitch, instead of the standard 5th wheel hitch.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #4

You need a shop to add the device to your truck to mount the hitch to. A ball or rails etc.

Many do it themselves. Not real easy.

A picture would help. Plus what truck. Need a hd truck.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsisu View Post
Simply "5th wheel hitch" should be a proper and understandable name for it. If it is short bed you would need a sliding hitch, instead of the standard 5th wheel hitch.
He doesn't necessarily need a slider. Fifth wheels have been pulled millions of miles without sliding hitches. I had an excellent one (SuperGlide) in a short bed truck and it was no advantage whatever.

All he has to do is get a set of universal rails (depending on the hitch). I like Curt hitches myself. It's only putting about six or eight bolts through the bed to bolt the rails down. Super easy.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Give us more info about the hitch (a few pics may do) and about the tow vehicle and we may be able to give you some ideas about doing it yourself or where you may find someone to do it.

You're in Oregon, y'all kinda live by different rules out there, so auto places may not be allowed to install used hitches. Or it may just be that they thought they'd make some bucks by telling you that.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #7

Try RV Dealerships with service departments first. If you can't find any that will install it, you might try auto frame and body shops. Many of them do custom goose neck hitches and would likely be very comfortable installing a hitch in a truck bed.

Lastly, you could try truck dealerships but obviously those are likely to be the most expensive option.

As far as resealing the seams on your fiberglass, there are a couple types of DICOR. One is for use on horizontal surfaces such as roofs. It's called self leveling.
https://smile.amazon.com/Dicor-501LS...gateway&sr=8-6

The other is non-sag sealant and it is used for area's gravity would make the self leveling run such as side walls and corners of the trailer, around windows and cutouts in the side or end of the camper, etc.

https://smile.amazon.com/Dicor-551LS...gateway&sr=8-8

Hope this helps!
Old 08-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #8

Around here, they will require a new rail kit (the hardware that actually bolts onto your truck), as they won't use previously used bolts and brackets. But after that, you can use any hitch you want on those rails. Any RV service or trailer sales (flatbed/utility/horse) should do it.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie G View Post
We recently bought a used 2008 5th wheel trailer. The hitch (I think that is what you would call it) came with it. I am having a horrible time finding someone to install it in the back of our pick-up. The one person that actually called me back said, "they would only install brand new hitches because of the liability". Is that what I need to do? Get a brand new hitch? Or should I keep looking for a installer? Plus, I truly don't even know if I am asking the right question when I call. What terminology should I be using so they understand what I am trying to accomplish. I have learned much about my trailer but this and finding the right product for resealing the seams of your fiberglass 5th wheel has been about as much fun as sitting on a tack.
What model of truck? What year and size of bed? This will help in answering your problem.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #10

Most likely you’ll be able to buy brackets for your truck that use existing holes in the frame. Just have to drill through the floor of the box. E-trailer for one has them along with others. I’ve had five fifth-wheels and never needed a slider hitch.
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:47 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
What model of truck? What year and size of bed? This will help in answering your problem.
Her profile says 2017 Ram 2500 full bed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #12

NMWildcat & Nascon are giving good advice.

Generally speaking, in most cases, the HITCH fits into a RAIL KIT mounting device. The HITCH itself requires no installation. The HITCH fits into a RAIL KIT, which is the part that requires a "bolt-on" installation to your truck frame and drilling through the bed. The rail kit is a permanent installation, and the hitch fits in a quickly detachable manner. It's reasonable for the installer to insist on a new rail kit, but any suggestion that the HITCH must be new is ridiculous. The rail kit works the same with a brand-new or a used hitch. A rail kit can be "universal" or "custom." Custom means it is specifically designed to fit your specific truck and hitch exactly. I would only use a custom rail kit.

I installed a custom rail kit for my used Reece hitch and found it extremely simple but not necessarily easy for a DIYer. The Reese instructions were complex, but mostly correct.

I'd bet that https://www.etrailer.com/ has the exact rail kit that you need at a reasonable price. They more than likely have a video that shows how to do it. If you call them, you will likely learn in a short time everything you need to know to help you find an installer. I would ask them how much the installation price should be and ask if they had advice to help you find an installer. Anyone that installs frame mounted hitches should be able to do it, because the custom rail kits are truly simple for any shop that does hitch work.

You may have a long bed, but even with a short bed, I'd avoid a slider if possible. There are different opinions on this, but I think sliders add unnecessary weight and complexity.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #13

I have read all the post on here about installing the rails for the 5th wheel hitch. I may have misunderstood some of the comments, but I believe some of the comments are suggesting that you simply drill holes through the truck bed and install the hardware that holds the hitch rails. This to me is misleading, yes you drill holes in the truck bed, but those holes must also go through the truck frame. If you only attach the rails to the truck bed and not the frame, you going to lose your trailer and have a torn up bed because that thin sheet metal that is your bed surface will not withstand the force being put on it.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
I have read all the post on here about installing the rails for the 5th wheel hitch. I may have misunderstood some of the comments, but I believe some of the comments are suggesting that you simply drill holes through the truck bed and install the hardware that holds the hitch rails. This to me is misleading, yes you drill holes in the truck bed, but those holes must also go through the truck frame. If you only attach the rails to the truck bed and not the frame, you going to lose your trailer and have a torn up bed because that thin sheet metal that is your bed surface will not withstand the force being put on it.
Yes you misunderstood, most of the rail bracket kits only require you to drill holes in the bed. The brackets under the bed bolt to the frame of the truck using existing holes and the rails then bolt to the brackets through the holes you drilled in the bed.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
If you read all the posts you missed the part about frame brackets.
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #16

Trying to learn about fifth wheels

My 20K Hijacker Hitch is currently mounted in my third truck. New hardware (nuts and bolts and washers) were installed each time, but the rail kit was moved over. And the Hitch has been used for about 14 years ( with no complaints). However, I did not attempt this install myself. We went to a Hitch speciality shop to have it installed. The trucks were all c/w tow package. The last two with factory brake controller.
The trucks were all short box and the Highjacker is definitely not a slider. You need to be aware of your trailer front corner with respect to the edges of the truck cab when backing - especially if you need to crank a hard 90

And,as mentioned, the rails need to be secured to the truck frame and not just the truck bed.

Enjoy your new rig and have fun
2007 Corsair. 246 RKS. 5th
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:04 PM   #17

CW may install. They will not require new rails but will a new bolt kit. Never reuse those bolts.

My B&W Patriot slider is now in the 4th truck. The new Ford dually lb means it will never slide again. With previous short beds it was only needed 4 times. When needed it was really needed to prevent damage to truck and/or 5er. No need to spend a ton on a super heavy auto slider but I’d suggest the B&W makes the best hitches right in the USA.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #18

Yes

Don’t reuse the bolts, when they are torqued to the specs required they stretch. That stretch, specified by the manufacturer, is within the grade of the bolt that doesn’t exceed the bolts elasticity. Elasticity of the bolt allows a self clamping effect that keeps the fastener in place.

Bottom line is, after inspection, the bolts may be used again,
In the same exact application. Assuming the bolts are good. Moving them to a different critical application is a serious safety problem.

I don’t know why I wrote this, think I was bored! Sorry hope it helps a bit.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #19

Try calling Equipment Rental Places. I installed my 1st 5 wheel hitch, and the others i paid to have done (too much what if's, and work). The "old hitch" has a value of $50 to $150, depending on Zip Code So don't let buying and having one installed hold you back, because of the price. good Luck.
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Around here, they will require a new rail kit (the hardware that actually bolts onto your truck), as they won't use previously used bolts and brackets. But after that, you can use any hitch you want on those rails. Any RV service or trailer sales (flatbed/utility/horse) should do it.
^^X2........DO NOT re-use hardware, it is too inexpensive to take a chance on!

The rest is no problem! Just do or , or have it, installed correctly!

Tags
5th wheel, wheel