Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #1

Location: Close to North / South Carolina border and Blue Ridge Mountains
TT line-up confusion

I am new to this forum and to the Forest River line of TT. We would like to know which of their TT is considered to be the top of the line and which are entry level as related to price, quality and amenities. Is there a clear distinction; is the Wildwood the top of the line or is it the Cherokee? When looking at the photos on the Forrest River web site, it appears that FR directly completes with other models within their own product lineup, confusing. Our goal is when we retire to purchase a ˝ truck towable TT and the Forrest River line up and one other manufacture are the two top choices for quality in a TT. My DW thinks the Forrest River models have more appealing interior fabrics, less faux leather and dreary dark fabric patterns. Any help, please chime in.

Rustymax

Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

If you are thinking of a 1/2 ton TV you should be looking at the light weight travel trailers like the Salem, Flagstaff and Rockwood units. Even some of these advertised light weight units will tax a 1/2 ton TV.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #3

I'll add to your confusion. Check out Prime Time, Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels. Their web site is full of info and worth taking the time to read, especially the Eternabond Construction.

They are a new division of Forest River that has been around about 2 years. Don't worry about the short time period though. The people running this division are very experienced and know what they're doing. Their customer support is the best I've ever seen.

If you going to tow with a ˝ ton I would look at the Tracer line. There may be some LaCrosse's a ˝ ton could handle, but I think it would need to be one with a high tow rating, like a HD ˝ ton.

You can check out the Prime Time catagory (under the Forums tab) on this site to see how owners feel about their trailers. Also Prime Time is represented on this forum (RV Guy) and you can read some of his post and how he has helped us.

Good luck and happy camping!

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustymax View Post
I am new to this forum and to the Forest River line of TT. We would like to know which of their TT is considered to be the top of the line and which are entry level as related to price, quality and amenities. Is there a clear distinction; is the Wildwood the top of the line or is it the Cherokee? When looking at the photos on the Forrest River web site, it appears that FR directly completes with other models within their own product lineup, confusing. Our goal is when we retire to purchase a ˝ truck towable TT and the Forrest River line up and one other manufacture are the two top choices for quality in a TT. My DW thinks the Forrest River models have more appealing interior fabrics, less faux leather and dreary dark fabric patterns. Any help, please chime in.

Rustymax
I think that you will find a lot of overlap in product that is from the forest river family. What you won't find is two dealers side by side selling the same lines (i.e. flagstaff and surveyor). The products are essentially the same thing but one will offer this over that between the two differently named trailer models. This allows the dealers to sell essentially the same thing but not . (At least in Southern Ontario)

Pick a model you like, look at it and ask all the questions you want on great forums such as this one!

You do seem to hear from people that are dissatisfied more often than happy people but you will be able to decide if some of these "issues" are or could be a problem for you before you buy!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #5

If you are looking for "high end" it seems on the FR website that the further you scroll down the more luxuries you get. Many of their brands are the "same" take Wildwood and Salem, samr floorplans. Only difference is i can give dealer A an exclusive on Salem and dealer B Wildwood.

Salem: has the LA
Wildwood: heritage Glenn (which I have)
Rockwood: signature

Again the further u scroll down, the "nicer" they get.

2011 Heritage Glenn 312QBUD
Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leencharlotte View Post
If you are looking for "high end" it seems on the FR website that the further you scroll down the more luxuries you get. Many of their brands are the "same" take Wildwood and Salem, samr floorplans. Only difference is i can give dealer A an exclusive on Salem and dealer B Wildwood.

Salem: has the LA
Wildwood: heritage Glenn (which I have)
Rockwood: signature

Again the further u scroll down, the "nicer" they get.

Not necessarily.......Prime Time has their own website. You will be hard pressed to find a better equipped trailer for the price. I would recommend that you look at the Lacrosse or Tracer...although I am biased as you can tell from my signature.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padave65

Not necessarily.......Prime Time has their own website. You will be hard pressed to find a better equipped trailer for the price. I would recommend that you look at the Lacrosse or Tracer...although I am biased as you can tell from my signature.
True PT has not consolidated websites yet

Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by padave65 View Post
we're not biased

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant

you have to realize that FR has acquired different brands and added them to their own linup.
an example would be Palomino. used to be owned by Vanguard Industries, who sold out to FR.
there are other brands that used to be their own company and were bought out by FR.

Thor Industries has done the same thing.

so, the brands are difficult to rank in levels of enty-level to top of the line.

if you plan on a 1/2 ton truck to tow with, you'll want to keep the TT at 26' or smaller and be sure to NOT use "dry" weights.
find the floorplan you love and then get the truck that can tow it.

and don't believe the salespeople who'll tell you anything to get the sale.