Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #41
NELA

STILL owe a huge debt of gratitude to wmtire for his advice before and during our install of shore power here at home. While we had a licensed electrician do the install, he'd never done an RV before. DH and the electrician had done tons of research, but still....white knuckles galore for me. wmtire spent quite a bit of time on the phone with DH, talking him thru it step by step. he's a really good "aig".

Yeah, I think I had half a dozen small heart attacks on the day it was ready to plug in, since we were 4 days out from leaving for Pigeon Forge. DH left it up to me to make the final decision, plug in or wait til we get back from the trip. PPPPFFFFFTTTT chicken butt

Took the deepest breath my lungs could hold, exhaled for forty forevers and said PLUG 'ER IN! Things clicked and hummed, and she was off and running...AND we did NOT have the MUST HAVE surge protector at that time. Nope, I don't write it up to "beginners' luck", I write it up to research and wmtire's willingness to share his know-how. Looking back, with a year under our belt, there's no way in hades we'll ever plug an RV in, here at home or elsewhere, without our surge guard again.

I stand there and count down those seconds as they tick off on the surge guard read, every time, out even now...holding my breath until it's all systems safe to go, or (which we've never gotten, knock on wood) not safe, access denied. It's *that* function that keeps me sane.

TexasRose....Happy, Happy, Happy that you dodged that bullet with only the TV damaged. I'm bettin' you slept a lot better last night!

Now, get 'er patched up and go

Also happy to see you join us here, in the BEST site throughout the interwebs for support and information for WIITWD.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #42

Thanks. We really do appreciate everyone's advice. The surge guard is the first thing we're going to buy before we plug anything in again.

Does anyone have a specific brand/type that they're recommend?
Texasrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #43

Progressive Industries EMS does a great job for us and many good reviews in the FR forums. We have the HW50C for our 50 amp service, self installed in about 2 hours.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #44
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Progressive Industries EMS does a great job for us and many good reviews in the FR forums. We have the HW50C for our 50 amp service, self installed in about 2 hours.
100% agree with progressive industries hardwired.
As option number 2 a Frank's autoformer.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #45
NELA

Portable Surge Guards With LCD Display - 50 Amp - TRC 34750-001-LCD - Surge Protectors - Camping World

This is the other common choice, and the one we got. Not sure if you're 30 or 50 amp, this company sells both.

We also have one of those rinky dink "plug into an indoor outlet of the RV" needle type volt monitors. Worthless! ...as proven by the difference between our surge guard indications and that thing. But, it was around $5.00 IIRC, not sure it'll even make a good paper weight.

You spent a lot of hard earned money on your new toy. You bought insurance for it, no doubt. So now reinforce that insurance with the PROTECTION of a surge guard. In a camp site space you're at the mercy of whoever it was that wired in that power pedestal. And, on busy weekends with a packed full park (or even a not so packed full park), there can be *low* voltage issues, and ya don't want that either.

Just consider that surge guard your "RV NANNY".

This message has been brought to you....

danged if I didn't sound like a commercial for RV surge guards!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #46

Well folks, after all of the trauma and drama of our TV smoking on the first day we owned our TT, here we are on our first camping trip. Had a great time!! Thanks again for all of your encouragement and advice.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1403995411.697464.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	760.9 KB
ID:	56598

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Texasrose is offline   Reply With Quote