Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasrose View Post
2014 Windjammer TT, 3025W
That's a great looking rig. Did you also have the electric fireplace option?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #22

Yes it has the fireplace. Probably fried too...
Texasrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Any idea on what kind of cost we're looking at? I feel sick to my stomach.
Yes, the fireplace could be damaged. I went ahead and sent a private message to another member who had a similar thing happen to him. It may be tomorrow before he reads it. He is the one who can better answer your question on cost and the repair process since he has first hand experience.

There's really nothing that can be done tonight. Just make sure it's unplugged from the generator and/or power sources so nothing can burn.

Please do your best to try to relax and sleep, and hopefully it will be seem better tomorrow..... where you can get better answers. You may luck out and it not be as bad as you think.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #24

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Texasrose,
I'm the member wmtire was referring to. I made the same mistake and plugged my brand new 5thwheel into 240 on its maiden voyage. I understand the feeling in your stomach and sympathize with you.

I lost the TV, microwave, fireplace (its just a circuit board), and the converter. Neither A/C was on, and my refrigerator was not harmed. I used an adapter to plug the 50Amp cord into a 30amp 240 volt receptacle, so I shot 240 down the legs and thus fried those appliances.

Concerning cost, it is going to depend on what you need to replace. The TV will be up to you, I ended up with a better TV than I originally had, the microwave took some time as it needed to be ordered and I had to wait on that for a couple weeks. The fire place circuit board was an easy replacement, less than 10 minutes, and I didn't find out the converter was fried until several weeks later when I was camping and couldn't figure out why the heater wouldn't come on. I wasn't getting 12v to the thermostat. Paying your deductible and filing a claim may be the best route. I'd take Turbs advice and plug into a 110v 50Amp service (if that is what your camper uses, I'm unfamiliar with your specs and unit) and trouble shoot to see what is fired.

On the positive side, I met some nice people on here who helped me through it, and made me realize that I'm not the only person that did this. I'm sorry to hear it happened to you. It is repairable and once you get it taken care of, you will be more the wiser about how it all works. If I can be of any further assistance, PM me and I'll answer what I can.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #26

TV smoking...???

Thanks bombdoc. We are calling the dealer this morning. Did you file a claim with your insurance company or warranty provider? Did you have a mechanic test the entire trailer to see if anything else was damaged? Also, did you do the repairs yourself or have them done?
Old 06-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #27

Now might be a good time to invest in a progressive industries power protection unit, it will prevent this from happening in the future. There are power pedestals at camp sites that are not wired correctly.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #28
Site Team

Thanks for responding and the information BombDoc.

TexasRose, it's really not that bad, and ya will overcome this. It's part of the learning curve....and I promise you one day, this will all just be a tiny blip on the radar of life.

Once it's all repaired, there are a few questions I would like to ask your husband about how it was hooked to the generator, but there's no hurry on it.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Now might be a good time to invest in a progressive industries power protection unit, it will prevent this from happening in the future. There are power pedestals at camp sites that are not wired correctly.
In reality presley is right.

If you had a progressive industries ems http://www.progressiveindustries.net/
This wouldn't have happened.
So looking forward if you invest now in a 50 amp ems from progressive industries you'll not have to worry about whether someone else has wired there pole correctly or there's faulty wiring at a camp ground.
Here's a pic that a member took a few weeks ago.
A progressive industries ems also protects from power surges as well as low and high voltage.
Something to consider.
$300.00 may save you $2000.00 later.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Attached Images

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #30

Thanks everyone. We really do appreciate your input and advice. We are going to look at all of the things y'all have suggested. Taking it back to the dealer this morning for an assessment, and we'll go from there. This is a little setback, but we will get through it and look forward to many enjoyable times in our trailer. So glad we found this forum.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks everyone. We really do appreciate your input and advice. We are going to look at all of the things y'all have suggested. Taking it back to the dealer this morning for an assessment, and we'll go from there. This is a little setback, but we will get through it and look forward to many enjoyable times in our trailer. So glad we found this forum.
Excellent. Please keep us in the loop as to what the dealer says.

We are a community here, and share in our successes and ...... not so successes.

We all will learn from this in order to help the community in the future, and I am really curious as to how it was connected to the generator (the exact configuration) for this to happen......as I'm still going over all the scenarios of the twistlock plug in my head. If an adapter was miswired/broken, I can picture it........ but aren't seeing it otherwise.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Sounds good!
Keep us informed and hang around the forum all you like!
You know you have pre- admittance now to the phat phrog stunt team with your harrowing experience.
BombDoc became a member shortly after his 220v experience.

Sooooo tells us about yourselves!

fyi.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ace-34587.html

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You know you have pre- admittance now to the phat phrog stunt team with your harrowing experience.
BombDoc became a member shortly after his 220v experience.
And they can get a shirt to show off.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
And they can get a shirt to show off.
In fact they can!

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
This is a common mistake because a normal 50 amp household outlet is in fact 240
But your camper is only 110.

Qualified electricians even make this mistake.
Happened to my brother also. The company the electrician works for paid for all repairs.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
Happened to my brother also. The company the electrician works for paid for all repairs.
I fully can understand this, and it being on the (3 wire) 30 amp RV's which have a (L1) hot line, neutral, and ground. They mistakingly wire the neutral with a second hot line (L2). So you then have 120 volts on the L1 and then another 120 volts on what should be the neutral.

A 50 amp RV utilizes a 120/240 split phase service. They utilize each side of the service separate as only 120 volts per L1 and per L2. Thus when a 50 amp RV uses the 50 to 30 amp adapter, it actually shares the L1 and L2 legs (combines them), so both sides get power from the 30 amp plug. but it's still only 120 volts. However, if you use an adapter and plug into a miswired outlet, as in the paragraph above, then you also get 240 volts to each side (which is what happened to BombDoc)

What I'm not following/getting my head clear on....is what happened on the generator 240 volt plug. It has 4 wires...... L1, L2, neutral, and ground....all wired correct (or we assume the manufacturer has them correct, but it could be wrong internally and would explain it, as well as the OP having a claim against them).

Unless the OP made their own miswired adapter (mixed neutral/ground and hot line), I'm not understanding what happened to get 240 volts onto a line. I know I must be missing the simple, and maybe just don't understand the generator setup, which I'm about to educate myself on

Old 06-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks bombdoc. We are calling the dealer this morning. Did you file a claim with your insurance company or warranty provider? Did you have a mechanic test the entire trailer to see if anything else was damaged? Also, did you do the repairs yourself or have them done?
PM Sent.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #38
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Any word on what's happening with this?

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #39

Actually yes. We just heard back from the service shop yesterday. They said they have checked the entire trailer, and the only thing they found that wasn't working was the TV. They are submitting it for a warranty claim. We really feel like we dodged the bullet on this one. Now we're older and wiser. :-)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Actually yes. We just heard back from the service shop yesterday. They said they have checked the entire trailer, and the only thing they found that wasn't working was the TV. They are submitting it for a warranty claim. We really feel like we dodged the bullet on this one. Now we're older and wiser. :-)
AWESOME NEWS!

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"