Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Slightly OT, but we are planning on a trip from Texas to LA starting this week and we know it is going to be hot. I know you were out west recently and I followed your reports. I have the same unit as you and am wondering what brand of tire you have and did you have any tire problems on the way?

Thanks
Our Silverback came with Mastertrack tires. They are ST trailer tires and came nitrogen filled from the factory. We haven't had any issues at all with the tires (knocking wood) and I haven't had to add any air yet either.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Our Silverback came with Mastertrack tires. They are ST trailer tires and came nitrogen filled from the factory. We haven't had any issues at all with the tires (knocking wood) and I haven't had to add any air yet either.
Thanks - mine came with the infamous Trail Express ST235/80R16 tires. They also were nitrogen filled at the factory, but after much discussion about the pros and cons of nitrogen filled tires on this forum, I decided the extra hassle of keeping up with the nitrogen servicing wasn't worth it.

Mine now have a total of 5672 miles on them and have needed very little air added to any of them. If I can make the round trip from Texas to California with them, I will consider myself lucky and will replace them.

I hope I have the same luck as you did..

I wonder why all Silverbacks don't come with the same brand tire?

Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I wonder why all Silverbacks don't come with the same brand tire?
That is the 64,000 dollar question.

I hope I don't jinx myself but, I've never had issues with tires on the previous two fifth wheel either. I don't know if it is luck or if it has anything with the way I drive. I rarely exceed 65 MPH and normally try to hold the speedometer at 62 or 63 MPH. I don't drive long distances every day either. On trips across the country I limit myself to a 300 mile day (+/- 25 miles) maximum. During that 300 miles I will usually have 1 fuel stop, 1 stop for lunch, and being an old man with a small bladder 2 rest stops to....you know. I think all the stops I make allow the tires to cool down a bit. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #24

I was not even considering new units without two A/C's when we were looking this past winter. The bedroom unit is a little loud, but we normally turn it off when we are ready to go to bed. By then the 15k in the living room can keep up.

We have the dreaded Trail Express tires on our Silverback, but like Oakman, we stop frequently and do not travel at high rates of speed on the Interstate. Actually we opt for highways when practical. We just enjoy the process of getting there.

One of our running buddies had the Trail Express tires and all appeared great, but one day when he stopped to make his bladder gladder he noticed several bulges on his tires where they were leaking through the belts. Next stop was to have new tires installed before he had a costly blow-out. Just watch them for the bulges.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #25
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
I was not even considering new units without two A/C's when we were looking this past winter. The bedroom unit is a little loud, but we normally turn it off when we are ready to go to bed. By then the 15k in the living room can keep up.

We have the dreaded Trail Express tires on our Silverback, but like Oakman, we stop frequently and do not travel at high rates of speed on the Interstate. Actually we opt for highways when practical. We just enjoy the process of getting there.

One of our running buddies had the Trail Express tires and all appeared great, but one day when he stopped to make his bladder gladder he noticed several bulges on his tires where they were leaking through the belts. Next stop was to have new tires installed before he had a costly blow-out. Just watch them for the bulges.

Good advice.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #26

If you Rv in the south in the summer and have a 29' or longer 5er, without lots of shade, you need the 2nd AC for sure. Which means 50 amp service and you lose the vent in the bedroom and they are loud in the bedroom. That is what I have and I consider it a must have. I spent three days in Livingston, Texas at the Excapee's RV park, last month, it was only about 95, would not have been fun without the second AC in the bedroom. Good Luck and Happy Trails
Old 08-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #27
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
We had a 34' Sandpiper previously that had only one A/C and we actually quit taking summer trips because of the heat. Now with our Columbus and second A/C the heat is just fine. We can keep it in the mid-70's even if the temperature outside breaks 100.

Like others...we turn the bedroom A/C off at night because both of our A/C units are ducted together.

My advice...don't even consider a fiver without a second A/C unit.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #28
Camper Less Camping

Thanks for all the replies!

We ordered our 32' Sabre early August and yes, with two AC's!
Looking forward to our summer camp trips with less worries on staying cool