Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
One more thought that I have not verified, but . . . I wonder if there are add on tow mirrors for the 2015 at this point? I know it seemed to take forever to find aftermarket replacement tow mirrors that had all the options for my 2013. I still don't think the power telescope versions can be had in other than actual Ford parts.
Was wondering that myself. I will look into it and post what I find out.
AlanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #42

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
We tow an Signature ultra lite 8280 (2012)(dry 7800 lbs) fifth wheel with a 2013 Ford F150 super crew with the v 8. It is an FX4 model so comes with a trailer tow package including a built in brake controller and it also has a geared "tow Mode" that holds the current gear for a slightly longer time before shifting up or down. The tow mode also acts as a "jake brake" (as in a diesel engine) when you are slowing down (saves some on the truck and trailer brakes). We are currently travelling through the Smokie mountains (National park) and no problems. Lots of steep grades up and down here. We compared our v8's performance with the ecoboost and the performance was the same. The current trip (from Ontario to Florida and now on the way back), 6140 miles so far and our average mileage is 10.7.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillontheroad View Post
We compared our v8's performance with the ecoboost and the performance was the same.

Not even close on anything except fuel mileage, but the 5.0 is a decent engine.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Not even close on anything except fuel mileage, but the 5.0 is a decent engine.
I am not sure what you mean "not even close on anything"?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #45

Well, I wasn't exactly sure what 'performance' you were talking about, but comparing an EB to the 5.0 is no contest.

I cannot speak for the new 2.7, but the 3.5 EB will out accelerate and out tow a 5.0 all day long. And if you add in a little altitude, that is even more true.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
Was wondering that myself. I will look into it and post what I find out.

I ordered and use snap on extend mirrors. They fit right over the existing mirrors and are light and take about 10 seconds to put on or take off. No vibration. Work perfectly. (40.00)
Old 04-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #47

Quote:
I ordered and use snap on extend mirrors. They fit right over the existing mirrors and are light and take about 10 seconds to put on or take off. No vibration. Work perfectly. (40.00)
Yes, I use CIPA add ons on my 2013. My question was if any (or better yet) many aftermarket vendors have them available for the 2015 mirrors?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #48

Quote:
Well, I wasn't exactly sure what 'performance' you were talking about, but comparing an EB to the 5.0 is no contest.

I cannot speak for the new 2.7, but the 3.5 EB will out accelerate and out tow a 5.0 all day long. And if you add in a little altitude, that is even more true.
Interesting. Have you tried both under similar loading conditions?? We have done a direct comparison and the only real difference is that the ecoboost has more instant "jump" when travelling empty.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #49

Quote:
Yes, I use CIPA add ons on my 2013. My question was if any (or better yet) many aftermarket vendors have them available for the 2015 mirrors?
Honestly I am not sure if they are available for the 2015s . By May of 2013 they had them available for the 2013s.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #50

Quote:
Interesting. Have you tried both under similar loading conditions?? We have done a direct comparison and the only real difference is that the ecoboost has more instant "jump" when travelling empty.
Ford certainly has. That is why the EB is now the top engine with the demise of the 6.2L V8. So have about five thousand people on Youtube. I pass 5.0's all the time on the passes here pulling similar loads and/or empty. Look up TFLTruck on youtube for even comparisons of the Boost.

The Eco part is a different story. . . Your mileage literally may vary.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:10 AM   #51

Quote:
Ford certainly has. That is why the EB is now the top engine with the demise of the 6.2L V8. So have about five thousand people on Youtube. I pass 5.0's all the time on the passes here pulling similar loads and/or empty. Look up TFLTruck on youtube for even comparisons of the Boost.

The Eco part is a different story. . . Your mileage literally may vary.
I hear you. It is kinda like Ford says you get 27 mpg too. Until one does a specific side by side comparison themselves can they say emphatically that (at least for them) what the true performance is.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #52

Lots of Info on (Trucks) not so much on (Ultra Lite TT)? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Lots of Info on (Trucks) not so much on (Ultra Lite TT)? Youroo!!

Very true, and besides I'd smoke em both with my HEMI....lol
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
Very true, and besides I'd smoke em both with my HEMI....lol
Not a prayer of that happening.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #55

Quote:
Not a prayer of that happening.
Really, you're a big fan of youtube,,, compare them, better yet, here you go..https://youtu.be/OC2KXxb2dTM

And now back to our regular scheduled program,,, Ultra Lite TT Suggestions..
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
Really, you're a big fan of youtube,,, compare them, better yet, here you go..https://youtu.be/OC2KXxb2dTM

And now back to our regular scheduled program,,, Ultra Lite TT Suggestions..
Next time find a video of an Ecoboost and see the exact opposite occur.

Fiats are for flat land, not mountains.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #57

I think the Hemi is a great engine, but you have to be COMPLETELY delusional to think it can out-tow an Ecoboost. There are other arguments that can be made for choosing a Hemi, but that simply isn't one of them. Even the 6.4 Hemi won't hang with the EB, especially when you get into higher elevations. The 5.0 most definitely does NOT tow as well as the EB, either. You put my 9K+ TT behind a 5.0 and it is going to feel like it is fighting that load every inch you pull it- hills would have it absolutely screaming. The EB just chugs right along with ease.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:51 AM   #58

Quote:
While I agree with almost all what you wrote, I will take the challenge The key (weight bearing) differences in my NON-max tow (535 package) and a similarly equipped max-tow (AKA load leveling) are the front spring code (mine is rated 150lbs less), my hitch is rated 800lb less than a max tow and I have 3.55 ratio vs 3.73 on the older ecoboost max tow equipped trucks. I do agree that the OP (or anyone else looking to tow with a 2015) would need to do some real research on the 2015 as it (and it's packages) isn't the same as previous years.

Some light technical reading on the 2015 . . . https://www.fleet.ford.com/TRUCKBBAs...tes_010815.pdf

The doc and the stickers give the MaxTow a different axle rating, but my non MaxTow (2013) has the exact same spring code as MaxTow's do, UUGG. Not sure how I can have the same springs but a different weight rating???? Sounds like some fishy playing with the numbers to me, but who knows. As far as the axle ratio, I've always contended that with the 6 speed and the torque curve of the EB, the lower gear ratios aren't really needed for towing. It seems as though Ford agrees because the 15's now have 3.55's for the highest ratings. Even if you make the point about the aluminum body, that's only a few hundred pound weight savings (thinking 400-ish on the 4x4 SCrew?) and cannot account for the 2K+ increase in towing capacity for 3.55 trucks.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #59

I wish on my 13 ecoBoost that I could have simply had LT tires as an option. I agree with previous posters that for certain trims (ie. FX4 with 20's) the Max Tow added almost nothing. While I can switch to LT tires it won't change my sticker, but if it came from the factory with those tires and 18 inch wheels I have no doubt they would have bumped the payload substantially.

In the real world I have no doubt my non-max tow would handle the same loads as a max-tow. I think it is a valid point on the shorter trailer length though. I switched for that very reason...my usual stomping grounds have some really cool spots for shorter trailers.
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote