Old 04-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #1

Ultra Lite TT Suggestions

Hello,

My wife and I are in the market for an ultra lite TT that we can tow with a 2015 Ford F-150 Supercrew with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine in Colorado.

We are looking at the Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S and the Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BHS.

These appear to be the same floor plan and I'm wondering if either one is better than the other for any reason? I'm assuming the construction is the same on both.

We have a family of two adults and two teenage girls. Are there any other similar TT's that we should consider? We're trying to stay under 8000 lbs GVWR.

Thanks!

Alan

Old 04-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #2

They roll off the same production line with Different decals. There is no difference

Old 04-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are in the market for an ultra lite TT that we can tow with a 2015 Ford F-150 Supercrew with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine in Colorado.

We are looking at the Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S and the Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BHS.

These appear to be the same floor plan and I'm wondering if either one is better than the other for any reason? I'm assuming the construction is the same on both.

We have a family of two adults and two teenage girls. Are there any other similar TT's that we should consider? We're trying to stay under 8000 lbs GVWR.

Thanks!

Alan
What other options do you have on your Truck? Several forum members who have a Ecoboost with the Max Trailer towing package and a 3.73 Axel have had NO problems towing ultralight 5th wheels in the Rockies.

This rig might fit your needs IF your truck is properly equipped:
Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite Fifth Wheels / Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

I am pushing you toward a fifth wheel because they tow SO much better than a TT - especially in the mountains and hills
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

Up to 8000 lbs opens up a lot of options in the ultra/x-lite lines, it just depends on what your needs are. Take the family and sit in many different models. I started with the FR web site to get model numbers that looked like they would fit my needs and then searched for dealers that had them. We also went to some RV shows, a lot of RV's in one place.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
What other options do you have on your Truck?
We haven't actually bought the truck yet.

We're looking at a 2015 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 5.5' with the 3.5 Ecoboost and with 3.55 gears and the regular towing package.

Ford won't put 3.73s in the particular trim combination we want, so I'm thinking I might do some aftermarket 4.10s.

If I want the Max Towing Package I would likely have to order it.

From Ford's towing guide, it looks like the main difference between the Max Tow (53C) and the regular towing package (53A) is:
  • Upgraded rear axle
  • Upgraded rear bumper
  • Trailer brake controller
The truck we're looking at has the integrated brake controller.

I'm certainly open to the idea of a 5th wheel, but the ones I'm seeing on the Forest River web site are all over 9000 lbs GVWR. I was thinking of trying to stay under 8000 since that would give me roughly 20% safety margin. I think the tow rating on the truck we are looking at is either 10700 or 11500.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Canadian Member

Does the standard towing package include the big towing mirrors? Now that I have them I wouldn't want to be without them - towing or not. For me, hands down, they are the nicest feature on my F-150.

As with any 1/2 ton pickup, the tow rating is not going to be your biggest limitation - payload is. If you want a 20% safety margin, you won't be able to get that with a 5th wheel unless you find something like a 24 footer. Personally, anything I would want would require a 3/4 ton partly because of pin weight and partly because I have a family of 5 including 3 teenage sons in the back seat of the truck.

The F-150 you're looking at wil be more than capable of towing the Mini Lite and Micro Lite models through the mountains but I'd go with the max. towing package in case you want to upgrade to a larger TT later on. Just know that the Eco Boost won't get any better MPG than a 5.0L engine when towing.
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Does the standard towing package include the big towing mirrors? Now that I have them I wouldn't want to be without them - towing or not. For me, hands down, they are the nicest feature on my F-150.
They are a $165 option regardless of the towing package.

I've located several trucks in Denver that have the max tow and the mirrors.

Thanks for all of the replies and advice!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
They are a $165 option regardless of the towing package.

I've located several trucks in Denver that have the max tow and the mirrors.

Thanks for all of the replies and advice!
In previous years the towing mirrors were included in the max. tow package. Are you sure the $165 isn't to upgrade to the new power folding mirrors that used to be exclusive to the 3/4 ton and heavier duty models?
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
In previous years the towing mirrors were included in the max. tow package. Are you sure the $165 isn't to upgrade to the new power folding mirrors that used to be exclusive to the 3/4 ton and heavier duty models?
Using the Build and Price tool on the Ford web site, the two mirror options are:

Body-Color Power-Folding/Power Glass Mirrors
Heated PowerFold/Power Glass Mirrors are body-coloured and come with a turn signal, memory and Auto-Dimming feature (Driver's Side). Standard on LARIAT & King Ranch®.

Power Trailer Tow Mirrors $165
Heated Power Telescoping/Power Glass/Power-Folding Trailer Tow Mirrors* come with a turn signal, memory, auto-dimming feature (driver's side), high-intensity LED puddle lamps and left-right side LED spot lights.

*Standard on LARIAT with Black Skull caps; body-colored skull caps with the Mid 501A Equipment Group and Chrome skull caps with the Luxury 502A Equipment Group.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #10

If you're set on an F-150, go to the trouble to get the tow max package. My '11 F-150 didn't have it and I always wished it did. I was towing between 6200 and 7000 most of the time. I would never buy another F-150 without it. However with my current rig... that's a different subject. I have some clip-op mirrors for towing with my F-150. They were worth the money but the factory ones are much better. Camping is a great way to keep in touch with your kids. I wish you the very best with it.

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote