Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2014, 03:37 AM   #61

If you can prove that FR did that, and I don't doubt you at all. I would get a attorney involved and Write a letter to FR show them the pics and keep every part, It would be worth it to me, that's just unacceptable. From your dealer and them. The worst is over now, so good luck. But that is just pure HS.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #62
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rhino View Post
Before everyone gets scared about the wiring on their Tracers, I read through some of the OP's posts, and it looks like he has done heavy modifications to his wiring around the TV area on the Tracer, the same area the fire started...

IMO due to the DIY mods in the same area as the fire [12V cigarette plug & inverter are not stock], Forest River and/or dealers are not going to honor a warranty let-alone do free post-warranty work... Also, IMO, when the OP installed the 110V inverter he should have checked the Stop Short circuits and/or added a fuse just after the battery.
I missed that. You are correct, with these mods, there is no way I would honor a warranty request (if I was the warranty service manager).

There is just too high a risk that this was a mistake made by the owner who is using this forum to "make his case" that this was an FR error (now that it is a very expensive repair).

The modifications made all involve removing and replacing wires very close to the battery where the shortstop is located. Not saying it DID happen, just saying the burden of proof is now on the owner.

Pre-work photos might have shown the original configuration prior to the DIY modifications.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Makes more sense and I agree.

The OP would probably never have had a problem with the way it was wired incorrectly IF the switch had not malfunctioned.

IMO, there is no reason for FR to allow a major safety item like that to go out the door. More folks at fault than the tech that made the mistake.
Exactly! Which is why it wasn't a problem in the year under warranty of course! When I talked with the trailer supply store yesterday, they guy said he sells half a dozen of those slide switches each week. They pop and go out. My problem was exaggerated by the shortstop also of course.
Thanks OC for seeing the issue/cause and not passing criticism like some others on this thread!
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #64

Herk if the dealer put your hitch on wrong and you yourself put on incorrect tires and had an accident on your first trip out when your TT came unhitched and flipped would you blame your tires or the dealers hitch???
Same thing here. My inverter is a VERY minor addition to the TT and is in NO ABSOLUTE WAY involved with the slides or any of the shortstops in the unit. Unless you have a Tracer 3150 and understand the wiring setup or have been underneath mine with me for the last 3 days, suggest you reserve judgement.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Sliding deck doors, longer, atrium style windows.
So, stuff that, by design, could not survive frequent road travel?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #66
DDC

I still wished you had reported it to NHTSA, they would have launched an investigation, we really don't need poorly assembled units on the road.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I still wished you had reported it to NHTSA, they would have launched an investigation, we really don't need poorly assembled units on the road.
My opinion too.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #68
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
So, stuff that, by design, could not survive frequent road travel?
I suppose that would be correct.

As I stated some are 12' wide!
You'd have to have a permit to move it.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
X eleventy and to quote Uncle Si; that's a fact Jack!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
With one aside; one should also be prepared to do regular checks and maintenance. That's required of sticks and bricks, and they never move....unless ya live in CA.
Agreed - like the warning label sez above your tires "must be checked with appropriate torque wrench at 100Ft-Lbs BEFORE each trip and after any heavy braking." (whatever that means )

That said, and as the token rocket scientist <G> of the group, I would be thunderstruck if FR designers did not take into account vibration, harmonics, pitch and yaw stresses and temperature when designing a RV. These are just the basics and no engineer worth his/her salt would ever design something without taking these basic facts into account.

As it turns out, building a RV is similar to building a satellite

A prime contractor (FR) subs out components that will be installed in the prime contractor’s framework (insert your RV model number here.)

This is precisely how we design satellites and other space systems!
The single point of failure it seems (and this issue is case in point) is the Product integration process.

QC in the Space Industry is Bat***** Crazy Anal Retentive! We often QC the QC Superviser who QC's the QC'er No, economics would not permit that in the RV industry but a good QC program and a Lean-Six-Sigma champion would do wonders!

Space Trivia: We call the designed “framework” for a space system a "BUS!"…coincidence? Perhaps not.

Quote:
As me old mammy use to say, "I'd raise Hell and put a chunk under it"

Hmmm...we will be really REALLY close to the Mother Ship at Goshen...wonder if FROG Bob would be willing to set up a roundtable forum with FR management...
Old 06-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I suppose that would be correct.

As I stated some are 12' wide!
You'd have to have a permit to move it.
True, true...12' wide could never travel - my tongue-in-cheek comment is more fully explained in my last post
Old 06-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #71
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...A prime contractor (FR) subs out components that will be installed in the prime contractor’s framework (insert your RV model number here.)...
Regardless of how good the components are, if they are not installed correctly (as in the OP's case) they are totally useless and could (as in OP's case) cause substantial damage and possible loss of life.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #72
NELA

Quote:
Agreed - like the warning label sez above your tires "must be checked with appropriate torque wrench at 100Ft-Lbs BEFORE each trip and after any heavy braking." (whatever that means )
We carry a torque wrench in the Biff at *all* times, and yes he checks torque before and during trips. On our first long trip with the V-Lite (Pigeon Forge) he had to tighten the lug nuts and the bolts on the hitch more than once.

"heavy braking"? BTDT! We were taking the V-Lite in for warranty once, topped a low hill and traffic was at a dead stop, both lanes on west bound side, as far as the eye could see.

I'm inclined to think THAT's heavy braking. Internet speed...he tows around 65 MPH.....to a dead stop inside mere yards.

Needless to say Weezer soon dismounted Biff and entered Buffy to avail herself of the "facilities" shortly thereafter.

The only warning we had that something was amiss was a LEO's car parked on the shoulder of the road a couple miles back, facing the wrong way with his headache lights on. *THAT* was supposed to tell us there was an 18 wheeler wreck ahead shutting down all west bound traffic?

I was very proud of DH's reaction time and handling of such a severe shut down situation.

SO, if you're in Louisiana and see a LEO car facing the wrong way on the shoulder of the interstate, start reducing speed right then and there.

Never encountered *that* type warning signal before or since.

Edit to correct: Actually we were taking the V-Lite in for the trade-in for the 5er. We said later that would have been a real mess if we'd totaled the V-Lite on the way to trade it in.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Gotcha DDC and I agree. Just delivered my "bag o' fun" to the dealer now and they are chasing it with Forest River, and assure me that they are checking the other units on the lot.
All in all it cost me bout $75 to fix the whole mess, and I don't expect to see anyone cutting me a sorry check, so my trip to the dealer is in hopes that it will possibly save someone else the same issue.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #74
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
Herk if the dealer put your hitch on wrong and you yourself put on incorrect tires and had an accident on your first trip out when your TT came unhitched and flipped would you blame your tires or the dealers hitch???
Same thing here. My inverter is a VERY minor addition to the TT and is in NO ABSOLUTE WAY involved with the slides or any of the shortstops in the unit. Unless you have a Tracer 3150 and understand the wiring setup or have been underneath mine with me for the last 3 days, suggest you reserve judgement.
Point taken.

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #75

Quote:
Regardless of how good the components are, if they are not installed correctly (as in the OP's case) they are totally useless and could (as in OP's case) cause substantial damage and possible loss of life.
*Exactly* and that is why the QC process is so very important. The components *should* have been QCed by the subs but it is the responsibility of the Prime to double-check the Sub QC AND ensure that the integrated system functions.

Not apologizing for FR in my post...in fact I was sorta indicting them

Tags
forest river