Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 07:28 PM   #21

Plus if you delete all the emission stuff your grand kids can enjoy all that polluted air. And no i am not a tree hugger. Drink beer smoke weed (i do)what ever but keep the air clean Looked at China lately?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:52 PM   #22

It's my understanding the DEF is used for cleaning the exhaust filter, it gets injected after a set number of hours of operation and has nothing to do with lowering pollution itself at least that is the case on the F450 and John Deere tractors I have used.
7th day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th day View Post
It's my understanding the DEF is used for cleaning the exhaust filter, it gets injected after a set number of hours of operation and has nothing to do with lowering pollution itself at least that is the case on the F450 and John Deere tractors I have used.
Pollution comes from exhaust on vehicles.Happy motoring
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...xhaust%20fluid
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 PM   #24

We live in the Lake George area, what campground are you going to? There are some pretty nice ones here.
Jack
rapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #25

Diesel thoughts

If you pull a trailer that weights over 5000 lbs and you don't pull it with a diesel then you are missing out. I was very happy with a 5.7 Tundra and thought it did great other than gas milage, had some self imposed issues, bought a Powerstroke and I will never tow a heavy trailer again with a gasser. The power, ride and ease of driving are well worth the extra amount of payment, def fluid, filters.

My wife and I both feel much safer and in control with the weight and size. We pulled the Raton Pass at 70 mph with the cruise set, the rpms did not increase and the speed did not change 1mph in either direction.

Good luck with you new TV......
Lazyboy Recliner replaced Back two chairs.....
J-N-D Wtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Plus if you delete all the emission stuff your grand kids can enjoy all that polluted air. And no i am not a tree hugger. Drink beer smoke weed (i do)what ever but keep the air clean Looked at China lately?

Diesel pollutes less than gas
flighht2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:22 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
This is from DEF Overview - discover Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF):

"Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is an emissions control liquid required by modern diesel engines. It is injected into the exhaust stream. DEF is never added to diesel fuel. It is a non-hazardous solution of 32.5% urea in 67.5% de-ionized water. DEF is clear and colorless, and looks exactly like water. It has a slight smell of ammonia, similar to some home cleaning agents. DEF is used in by Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology to remove harmful NOx emissions from diesel engines.
In January 2010, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) brought in new emissions standards requiring medium- and heavy-duty vehicles to significantly reduce engine emissions, particularly NOx and particulate matter (PM). Vehicle manufacturers use SCR to meet these standards. DEF is sprayed into the exhaust, breaking down NOx gases into nitrogen and water using an advanced catalyst system. As a result most new diesel trucks, pickups, SUVs, and vans are now fitted with SCR technology and have a DEF tank that must be regularly refilled.
EPA set the emissions standards to improve air quality. NOx and PM emissions are associated with a wide range of health problems including respiratory and cardiovascular diseases, aggravation of asthma, acute respiratory symptoms, chronic bronchitis and decreased lung function. The EPA estimates that the emission standards will prevent 8,300 premature deaths, more than 9,500 hospitalizations and 1.5 million work days lost due to illness, saving approximately $70.3 billion by 2030.
SCR is a so-called "aftertreatment" technology, which means that it destroys harmful emissions after combustion. This gives manufacturers greater scope to tune engines to improve fuel efficiency and increase power. Owners of SCR vehicles enjoy greater reliability and longer oil change intervals, which add up to impressive operating cost savings over the life of the vehicle."

If replenishing is the only cost/inconvenience associated with def use, why would anyone want to bypass it? Are there other considerations?
Thank you! The Environment is important for out Grandkids! If people do not maintain the system they deserve to have to pay to fix it. My Warranty is 5 years and 120,000 km so I am covered.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Thank you! The Environment is important for out Grandkids! If people do not maintain the system they deserve to have to pay to fix it. My Warranty is 5 years and 120,000 km so I am covered.
Sorry.... The expensive DPF is considered a consumable and is not covered by warranty.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Congrats! You will be amazed at the difference in towing experience! And when you get tired of the DEF and all the associated BS then install a delete kit. My brother deleted all his farm trucks and was amazed at the difference in power and mileage. Of course we don't have state inspections out here. You can always hang all that crap back on for warranty work or trade-in time.
Hopefully your brother will either keep that truck until it literally dies or he keeps those parts if he sells it. Or has a bank full of cash if the buyer gets caught with it missing and he says it wasn't there when he bought it.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
Hopefully your brother will either keep that truck until it literally dies or he keeps those parts if he sells it. Or has a bank full of cash if the buyer gets caught with it missing and he says it wasn't there when he bought it.
Thank you for your concern. The parts for all 4 trucks are stored in a barn if they need them.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
Traded my 2015 Ram 3500 with the 6.4 liter gas motor for a 2015 Ram 3500 diesel with the Aisin transmission. The 6.4 actually did a good job towing my 5er but I have had diesel envy for too long now! I'm a little worried about all of the DEF bs but I'll just have to deal.
No worries about the DEF. Just be sure it is fresh. Old DEF burns out very quickly. I discovered this when I bought my EcoDiesel that sat on the dealer's lot for about a year. My DEF gauge went from full to 1/4 in 350 miles!! After I filled the tank I found that I have to add a 2 1/2 gallon jug every 5000 miles or so. You can pick up a jug at Walmart for about $8. Just check the date it was manufactured. It should not be over 6 months old.

You'll LOVE your diesel. I know I'll never go back!

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Not true in any tier 4 emissions system! The DEF is injected into the SCR where a chemical reaction takes place to remove NOX. To clean the exhaust filter a small fuel injector in the DPF injects fuel to burn off the accumulated soot. This system is far and away better than the old systems which used to over fuel the motor to get fuel to the DPF for cleaning... as doing this was causing high fuel in the oil levels and washing down cylinders.

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:01 AM   #33

Quote:
You have been told wrong. DEF has nothing to do with the exhaust filter. Injecting extra diesel along with heat cleans the exhaust filter. DEF has everything to do with lowering pollution. It converts NOx into harmless nitrogen and water.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #34

I'm on my 3rd Chev diesel and the def is no bother. I will never go back to gas
Old 08-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapper View Post
We live in the Lake George area, what campground are you going to? There are some pretty nice ones here.
Jack
Going to Moose Hillock. We went last year and the kids love it. There is so much to do there we spent a week last year and ran out of time so it's more like 10 days this year.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:33 AM   #36

Agree with all the comments on DEF vs non-DEF trucks. My '11 is non, and my buddy's '14 has DEF, and what a difference. His has 850 #/ft of torque, mine has 600-- because the DEF trucks can be tuned "hotter" due to the improved emissions control. And he gets better mileage than I do!

+1 for Moose Hillock. Real nice CG, stayed there in June for Americade. Huge sites! Have fun, congrats on the new truck. I may be joining you in "3500 DEF land" soon...��
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:26 AM   #37

Quote:
Sorry.... The expensive DPF is considered a consumable and is not covered by warranty.
DEF cost is less than $3.00/gal when pumped from bulk at any truck stop. I get over 900mi/gal of DEF and pull my 9,000+ lb 5er almost exactly 1/2 of all miles I drive. So...

My DEF cost/mile is right at 1/3rd of one cent. I might have to rejoin the workforce to support my diesel habit!
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:16 AM   #38

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:

So you know all? Well with my service plan the DEF is covered for 7 years. Please be careful what you assume is someone else's plan.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
So you know all? Well with my service plan the DEF is covered for 7 years. Please be careful what you assume is someone else's plan.
I think what NMWildcat was talking about is that the DPF (Diesel Particular Filter) is not covered. Most consider it to be like brakes and they wear out. May or may not be covered under anyone's maintenance plan. Just depends on what you bought. They are expensive to replace and on my Ford it the big torpedo like thing in the exhaust system.

The DEF fluid is usually filled by dealers when you do an oil change and is very little cost.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:04 AM   #40

FWIW, my 2016 Ram 2500 Cummins gobbles the DEF when I'm towing my fiver, and burns pretty much nothing when I'm not towing.
jorn_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, upgrade