Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #1

Unhappy Used RV advice needed

Need to get another rv but can't do a new one. We want to go with fiberglass . I gave no idea who makes them or models. We really need a minimum of 36 ft bumper pull. I welcome any and all advice.
Thanks
tcsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #2

Look through ebay and rv trader to get an idea on the type of floorplan you want. Then you can search for the best price. Whatever you do, make sure you get it checked out before purchasing. A little money spent up front may save you a lot later on down the line.
RugRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

Try "RV Trader Online.com" Tons to pick from your specs.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #4

Very hard lesson learned on this one. We will certainly get the next one checked out.
Do park models come fiberglass ?
tcsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #5

Not a used one, but fiberglass and forest river - New 2014 Forest River Sandpiper 385 FKBH Bunkhouse Park Model | eBay
Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #6

Stay away from the NADA valuations. Most used RVs sell for substantially less than the NADA value (although there are a few that sell for more than NADA). Check a variety of dealers and services like RV trader to get an idea of the range in "asking" prices. Often the "asking" price is a wish for the right sucker to come along. I recently got 48k for an RV which the dealer then listed for 80+k (The NADA value was close to 90k). Its reasonable price was probably around 62/63. Regardless of what they tell you, you can figure dealer has added a very hefty mark up to the RV. Having bought about 6 of these things, I'd offer 20% less than their asking price and see where it goes. Your best strategy is to be prepared to walk away.

Also, don't assume that everything will be in working order. In my experience, and from what I've read, dealers merely wash and sell these things - and they don't wash them very well. They'll try to push you through with a 1 hour walk through after you pay for the RV. Insist on ample time for a real inspection and don't pay a dime until everything is fixed. Once the sale is made, you're on your own to deal with the service department (wow! That's some problem YOU'VE got there Ms. TCSMOM.) Moreover the sales department and the service might as well be separate businesses. If you expect the service department to keep the promises made by the sales people, you will be disappointed. If I seem a little cynical, it's just my experience showing through :-).

While all the stories and jokes you've heard about used car sales people may not be true, they are indeed true when it comes to most RV sales people.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #7

We always buy used. It helps to have owned one or two ~ go thru it with a fine toothed comb, try out EVERYTHING, Take a DVD and a CD with you to try out the entertainment systems. Ask them to have the fridge and freezer on, take a thermometer for the fridge and one for the oven. take a long necked lighter so you can check any pilot lights, etc. Look in, under and around everything. Step on just about every square inch of floor ~ you want it solid, if it's not solid, assume there's a water issue and RUN. Look for any signs of discoloration on the ceiling walls and especially on the flooring. Any sign of mold or mildew? Again, not a good sign.

If you locate a decent looking and clean model, do your homework. Look at NADA, Kelly Blue Book and the RV Trader for what they are going for in your area. Once you make your deal, be sure to buy the best warranty you can to cover things like AC units, fridge, etc. which have a way of working then stopping at the most inopportune times.

I always suggest you buy the best quality you can for the money you have to spend. Good luck and happy hunting