Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 05:49 AM   #1

Used TT Suggestions

My family and I currently have a Flagstaff HW pup camper which we love. However, with two small kids, we are going to look to step up at some point to a TT. We will be wanting something 30-35 ft with bunks. Instead of buying a new TT that comes with a dreaded payment, we plan to pay cash for a used, somewhat older one, in the 2006-2010 range.

With that said, are there any recommendations from anyone with past experience with a particular TT, not limited to FR brands, in that year range? Is the fit and finish on older ones as questionable as new ones? Any common issues to look out for such as delamination? Any particular model year better than another? Any one FR brand in particular to stay the heck away from?

Thanks
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:30 AM   #2

Good news about purchasing used is that any component that was "defective" has been identified and fixed. Additional (obvious) good news is lower price.

Bad news is that the previous owners could have broken/worn out other components. However, many of the things that wear out are easily seen (carpet, window blinds, etc) or need to be checked for safety (i.e. tires, battery). You'll also need to be on the lookout for "DIY" fixes/mods/customizations that may or may not be done well. Addressing those things will increase your out of pocket expense, but you'll still be at a lower price point than new.

As to models, same is true here as buying new. Walk through/look online at units to find a floorplan that you like. From there, it is all about condition and price.

Good luck!!
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
Canadian Member

I personally like the Rockwood line for quality. Flagstaffs are essentially the same just with different decals and fabrics. I bought my current Rockwood used this past Spring and we're very happy with it. You can search on Google for older model year brochures to see the floorplans that were made in those years and then start your search for a good used unit.

Be very diligent in looking for anything that might indicate poor maintenance or leaks. Get up on the roof and see what the sealant looks like and check for soft spots on the roof and the floor. Most everything else you can probably fix yourself.

Finally, make sure you have a tow vehicle that can comfortably tow a TT that size and with sufficient payload capacity. You should consider a 3/4 ton truck if you go bigger than 30 feet.
Good luck with your search!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:37 AM   #4

Spurticus, Have you considered a hybrid?
You have mail.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:43 AM   #5

Used TT Suggestions

There are a lot of variables involved. Sometimes an older trailer may be close in price dependent on where you are buying it from. Private vs dealer and what dealer you used. I bought my first TT a 2000 mallard in 2007 from a local dealer. It was a nice trailer that was well kept. In new condition. Others in same price range and year were rolling pieces of crap.

My brother just bought a 2014 Dutchmen aspen Trail for 14,000 from a local dealer. A new 2016 grey wolf same floor plan with newer bells and whistles from the dealer I bought from was 14,000 basic same price for newer updated model.

Bottom line is research, inspect, compare, and do not rule anything out. I got lucky with my first used TT it is possible to find one that someone has taken great care of and they are selling at fair price. If you buy from dealer check out the dealer well because just because they are a dealer they will not have identified or repaired all issues from previous owner. Lots of times they just do a quick clean and put out on lot. For a use camper check for soft spots in floor and any sign of water penetration. Excessive caulking shows they have tried to resolve water penetration.

If used do a thorough walk thru and ask for issues to be fixed before signing for it. Once it is yours it will be harder for you to get them to fix something without charging you to do so.

Sometimes your older ones are heavier than new so watch GVWR. Don't go by dry weight for tow ability that's the trailer weight without propane tanks batteries and anything inside or in tanks.

Good luck in your search.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #6

I'll put in a plug for the Primetime Lacrosse 318BHS

I realize what meets one family's needs may not meet another one's, but we started out with a smaller 24 foot bunkhouse model and quickly grew out of it. The floorplan of the 318BHS is ideal for us and I love "My" Outdoor Kitchen. We have been very satisfied with the quality and construction of the unit. I realize, like every other make and model, there are people who have had issues with theirs, but apparently we were very blessed to get the one we got.

Much like you guys we searched out a nice used, well maintained unit so we didn't take that hit on the initial "New" purchase price and in hopes all the quirks had already been worked out. It paid off well for us.

Happy Hunting!!!!! I remember well the hours upon hours of searching for just the right floorplan, comparing wants, needs and desires, then trying to find that well maintained, barely used, fairly priced unit for our family to enjoy for years to come.
2012 Primetime Lacrosse 318 BHS
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #7

And I'll put in a plug for a (used) PrimeTime Tracer 3150...

The Tracer 3150's floor plan is about the same as the Lacrosse 318 but it's 1,000 lighter (6,500) w/empty tongue weight of 650 making it a better match for capable 1/2 tons or entry-level 3/4 tons... I especially love the extra room the 2nd bunkhouse slide provides for our 3 kids, the outdoor kitchen (must-have), 2nd door to bath, and better overall fit & finish compared to other choices in the same price-range. IMO I'd rather have a USED PrimeTime Tracer/Lacrosse vs. a NEW Cherokee/Greywolf or Keystone Passport/Bullet...

On a weekend a local dealer was having a big sale on new units, we bought our (gently used) 2011 Tracer 3150 for less than what private sellers wanted on CL, RVTrader, etc. I purposefully inspected it during heavy rains w/bright flashlight to check for leaks & other issues. After 2 hours I only found a couple of cosmetic issues which the dealer promptly fixed. Unlike private sellers, they included a FREE pressurized leak test & re-caulking; adjusted both slide-out cables, awning, etc. to ensure trouble-free operation; replaced the battery & CO2 detector; filled the propane tanks; and tested/demonstrated all equipment during our 2.5 hour PDI (which we videotaped...) They even showed me how to retract the slides with a cordless drill & (provided) adapter, how to winterize, etc. Included in the sale price was an Equalizer 4 WDH w/pro installation & $100 store credit.

Although the dealer did not provide a warranty for used TTs, ours has been trouble-free for 2 camping seasons. Before our first trip we replaced the mattress & early-on we replaced the OEM tires with Maxxis. I also installed 2 Deluxe MaxxAir fans that work in push-pull fashion on mild days.

The Ram was only 2 years old when I bought it for $14K, so it had no OH rust & was still under warranty... The Tracer was 3 years old & around $20K. Combined payments are less than $400/mo., or less than a new truck/suv. We often camp next to folks who paid a lot more for less space/quality. IMO buying used allowed us to maximize bang/for/buck. Plus, I honestly feel that RVs built just after the recession, by the best workers who survived the cutbacks, are better-assembled than those assembled during the recent RV boom... Just sayin'!
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote