Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #1

Vent Cushion Thickness

Hi All! I'm new to the forums and looks like ya'll really have an interesting and informative site here. Just bought a 2011 Rockwood 8285WS and planning on trying it out this weekend if I can get everything setup okay. Have a question about the vent cushions (furry lookin things to cover the vents from the inside). The vents on this camper are not as deep as the older styles and when I put my cushions in there, a lot sticks out and doesn't look good. Do anyone know if they are making these less than 3" thick? I checked on Camping World and couldn't find anything thinner. Thanks for your input.
reloader-51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #2

I used the on my previous trailer. They were a bit thick.

If you're trying to keep the light out, on my present trailer, I sprayed the vent cover with a couple coats of automotive under coating.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Site Team

You can trim down the thick ones with an electric knife. Just slice off a slab of it. Possibly slicing it in half would make two for you.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #4

May try that. Thanks.
reloader-51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #5

To keep the Vent Light out I installed a Vent Shade Cover. Our vent is directly above our bed and does help keep the light out. Lights Out Vent Shade - Item - Camping World
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #6

Other than painting the upper vent cover, I forgot to mention I also installed the Camco Dual Vent Cover on the inside. The cover comes with foil insulation. Once installed, there is no light coming through. It's supplied with clips that are installed using the existing screw holes.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
Jan Goldfield

Goodness, all I did to keep the light/heat out was cut some of that car windshield screen to size and put it in place. I think the stuff was 4 bucks at Walmart.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
Goodness, all I did to keep the light/heat out was cut some of that car windshield screen to size and put it in place. I think the stuff was 4 bucks at Walmart.
found this one on one of the threads abt drips from vents. it looks like it would work in the shorter space. the aluminum will reflect infa red (saw a demo on this recently and it works. wouldn't have believed it).
RV Roof Vent Insulator/Covers on Sale
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel