Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #1

Thumbs down Vibe 6504 Cargo Carrying Capacity - Is this right?

I am new here, my first post.

I have been looking to replace our Shadow Cruiser (poor seal design on slide-out) and am intrequed with the Vibe 6504 and the layout.

But I am finding the weight specifications confusing.

Per the spec sheet the trailer only has a 511lb cargo capacity.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...ec&choice=vibe

(example) GVWR of 3795 minus (-) Unloaded weight of 3284 = 511 lbs left for cargo.

Here is where I am confused:

The trailer has a 38gal fresh water tank, so If I fill the water tank (@ 8lbs per gal) that takes 304lbs of the 511lbs leaving the trailer with 207? or even 187lbs if I fill the propane tank.

Am I right? the trailer's true cargo limit is 187lbs?

Someone please straighten this out for me. The closet dealer (with stock) is 3 hours away and they don't seam to want to deal with questions over the phone.
Woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Anyone interested in doing the math on this one? Is there really as little cargo capacity left as it seems? What are we missing from this puzzle?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It's a single axle camper. For all the Vibe 20'4" campers, if you subtract the dry hitch weight from the camper's GVWR, you get 3500 lbs...which would be the weight rating of the single axle. The 6504 looks to have the largest slide...it also has the highest dry weight, and therefore, the lowest CCC.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
It's a single axle camper. For all the Vibe 20'4" campers, if you subtract the dry hitch weight from the camper's GVWR, you get 3500 lbs...which would be the weight rating of the single axle. The 6504 looks to have the largest slide...it also has the highest dry weight, and therefore, the lowest CCC.

Dave
Thanks for explaining. This unit requires careful planning for sure. I can't say I have seen this small of CCC before and it was throwing me off.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Site Team

it's pretty normal for all trailers that have GVWR's around 3500lbs.
that's so manufacturers can claim that they are "minivan-towable", since most minivans and CUVs have a tow rating around 3500lbs.

look at any brand's trailers with that GVWR amount and you find the same thing, very poor CCCs.

the Jayco 17Z and 17C both have very low CCCs, for example.

i see it all the time from people with minivans and CUVs that want to tow a full-height trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Woodgrain,

To add to the above, realistically expect your trailer to come to you weighing more than the brochure states. This will lower your CCC. Even before you load it and put in batteries and propane, any factory options and dealers options will all change the weight. Good news is that the yellow sticker for your trailer will show the weight with factory options (but not anything added after it leaves the factory). The sticker will also show your true CCC.

One thing to add is don't travel with a full tank of water and instead fill up at the park. We carry a little for on-the-road bathroom breaks (and a few gallons in the BW tank) but I don't think I've ever traveled with a full FW tank.

I believe its critical that one never tows with a trailer that exceeds its GVWR, but that CCC is not as important once you are stationary and camping so, although 511lbs is miserly, it is doable for the minimalist camper.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for confirming.
The CCC is not going to cut it for us. Seams like short-sided design on FR's part. The trailer we are wanting to replace is the same length but with a double axle. Its Dry weight on it is 2929, Gross 5854 and CCC 2925 (per specs). It works ok because we take bikes and tones of gear. Yet, the design for the seals on the slide out is a joke and the slideout leaks. I've had shops look at it and, wall, they laugh. I guess I'll keep searching. Any suggestions for a well made light-weight trailer under 22' (total) ?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If you need a sizable CCC, you have to look at dual axle campers in that length range.

Dave

Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodgrain View Post
Thanks everyone for confirming.
The CCC is not going to cut it for us. Seams like short-sided design on FR's part. The trailer we are wanting to replace is the same length but with a double axle. Its Dry weight on it is 2929, Gross 5854 and CCC 2925 (per specs). It
doesn't matter what the length is, it's the GVWR that matters.
can't compare the Vibe, which only has a GVWR of 3794lbs.and single axle, vs. the one with a GVWR of 5854lbs. and tandem axles.
length has little to do with CCC, it's trailer/axle weight capacities.

like i said, this Vibe model is aimed at the minivan/CUV market, that's why its CCC is so low.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
doesn't matter what the length is, it's the GVWR that matters.
can't compare the Vibe, which only has a GVWR of 3794lbs.and single axle, vs. the one with a GVWR of 5854lbs. and tandem axles.
length has little to do with CCC, it's trailer/axle weight capacities.

like i said, this Vibe model is aimed at the minivan/CUV market, that's why its CCC is so low.

If any manufacture builds a trailer, it it should have the capasity to accomidate the occupensy. The (above mentined) model can sleep 5 people.

Do you really think you can pack for 5 people with this CCC?

It's just short sided design, and unfortunaty, someone is going to get hurt because they are enevitable going to overload the thing.

It is really to bad, because asside from the CCC issue, it's everything we want and we really like it.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #11

Vibe 6504

My wife and I purchased our 6504 a few months ago back in September 12.
We live in the Tempe, Arizona. We are new to the TT culture as of this year. We are towing the trailer with a 2011 Toyota V-6 Highlander with a 5000lb tow package.
We have towed it about 700 miles in the Southern Arizona/ Mexico area. We have found its not too tough to keep our CCC to a minimum since it's just my wife and I and our 2 30lb pups. I too was concerned about the Axle limit being 3500lbs but our Forest River Rep (in conversation) assured me I shouldn't be worried about the axle as long as we arent excessive with our cargo.
Maybe I'm too trusting but I feel inclined to believe the rep.
We don't plan to spend extra $$ on upgrading the axle or tires at this point but we really do appreciate everyone's advise.
We'll keep you posted if we notice any unusual wear on the hubs ect..

Otherwise, we really love our Vibe and look forward to escaping the daily rif raff as often as possible. Our vibe has just enough room and comforts to make us not miss the resorts. The pups love their new guest casa as well.
It's a great first time Travel trailer!!

Happy Holidays Fellow Travel Enthusiast's!!
Kevin1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1969 View Post
We'll keep you posted if we notice any unusual wear on the hubs ect..
Watch for rub marking on the top of the wheel well. Extra weight will take some of the arch out of the spring and you may get the tire rubbing over the bumps.

Dave

Old 11-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #13

Thanks D & M!

Thanks Dave and Monica.
I actually have a axle mod kit coming from FR that will extend the width of the axle to help eliminate that rubbing.
I'm also working with a FR Rep to get my tires replaced too.
It seems they put tires on the trailer that maxed out at 3400lbs (1700lbs max each) on our trailer that has a dry weight of 3397lbs. That's some pretty scary stuff since we have towed it several hundred miles already.
Hopefully they will do the right thing and take care of us.
Kevin1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #14

Kevin
I don't understand how you can adjust the width of the axel without putting a new axel on? You would also have to but on wider fenders to cover the tires. I know on my trailer 6501, there is a lot of room between the top of the tire and the fender.
Can you let me know what tires they send you. most of the tires that are 250/75-14 are rated 1760 lbs, I to would like to get a higher rated tire to give me more margin.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
If you need a sizable CCC, you have to look at dual axle campers in that length range.

Dave
Or you pursue the option I did. I love the 6504 layout, I was disappointed in the CCC so I upgraded the axle/hubs & tires to 6000 lb axle/hub/tire combo. Cost a little bit of money but it was well worth the investment. I now have a CCC of 2000 lbs (although I would never expect to load that much)

On another note..still having problems posting to forum..so I have to resort to evening posts only from my home computer.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #16

Vibe 6504

We just purchase a new Vibe 6501 and are ready for camping. We are new to it and looked around a lot before deciding on the Vibe. I have been reading comments on this and other sites to get some ideas of what to expect. There was a comment from Kevin1969 on here about an axle mod kit that will extend the width of the axle and was wandering how that worked out. We have noticed that there is not much room between the tires and wheel well and do not want to have a problem. Can anyone help?
Thanks
newvibeowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cargo, vibe, weight