Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #1

Wants and needs in a new trailer

OK, I’m bored with winter so I thought I’d write down my list of what I’m looking for in my next fifth wheel. Sorry this is a long post.

I would love to stay at 30 feet in length on our next fifth wheel but I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I will probably have to go to at least to a 32 footer to meet my desires. If I had to buy a unit that was larger than 32 feet it would have to have 50 amp service and two air conditioners.

I would like a floorplan that allows access to the refrigerator when the slides are closed.
When my wife and I are traveling long distances it’s nice to be able to hop into the trailer at a rest stop to get some food without having to open a slideout. Our current trailer isn’t configured like this so we pack lunches in a small cooler. Our first fifth wheel had this fridge accessibility and I really miss it.

Location and number of electrical outlets in the kitchen.
I am amazed at the number of brands that offer kitchens with just one outlet. I want to be able to leave my coffee pot and toaster plugged in and still have counter space and an outlet available to plug in an electric grill or crockpot. Our current Wildcat 28RKBS has plenty of available outlets in the kitchen area.

Not quite as important is location of outlets in the bedroom.
With all the electronic devices we use, it’s nice to be able to charge them up in the bedroom and not clutter up the living area during the day. This is a real plus with our current Wildcat.

Water heater bypass and its location.
Most RV now have water heater bypasses installed at the factory but some are really buried in the unit. I have experienced salesman that when I asked the location of the bypass they didn’t have a clue where it was and couldn’t find it either.

Room for full sized clothes hangers in the closet.
Some RV’s have closets so narrow that a full sized hanger doesn’t work well. I always have a hanger in my truck when we go looking at RV’s.

Size of propane access door/doors.
I recently looked at a fifth wheel that had access doors that were only slightly taller than the propane bottle. I could foresee scraping knuckles and hands while trying getting a full (heavy) propane bottle back into that space.

Kitchen panty and pot and pan drawer.
I love the pantry in our current Wildcat but not the location. The slideout has to be opened to load it up before a long trip. I am also surprised at the lack of kitchen storage in many fifth wheels for bulky items like pot and pans, crockpot, toaster, electric grill, etc.

Separate controls for the slide out.
Not a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to open just one slide independently of the other(s). To load up our pantry for a long trip we have to open the living area slide out. Unfortunately before the living room slideout opens we have to wait for the bedroom slide out to extend. Not a deal breaker but it would be nice to have.

Linen closet.
Not a deal breaker but it’s nice to have a dedicated linen closet.

Bedroom TV location.
Some of the manufacturers put the bedroom TV in such a location that only one person would be able to watch TV in bed, the other person would have to be a contortionist.

Battery cutoff switch.
My next trailer will have to be equipped with a switch to cutoff battery power to the trailer. This is a deal breaker if the trailer doesn’t have one.

Black Tank Flusher.
Fortunately most manufacturers now have black tank flushed installed on their fifth wheels. Not having one is a deal breaker for me.

Outside electrical outlet.
I have to have at least one electrical outlet on the outside of the trailer and it would be really nice if there were two outlets…one on each side. Our current fifth wheel has two outlets but they are both on the same side.

Location of dump valves.
I like the new docking stations that many trailers now have but not all have gone to this. Last year I was looking at a fifth wheel that I really liked until I saw the location of the dump valves. They were not only under the trailer, they were set back far enough that I would have been cursing everytime I had to use the valves.

I think I have a few more items on the list that I take to RV shows but at the moment I can’t find it. I already know I won’t find that perfect trailer that fits all of our wants and needs.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #2

This may seem long winded to some but it is great info for people that are new to RVing or considering an upgrade. Peoples' experiences are invaluable, especially when backed up with the "why".

Thanks for your thoughts,

Shineysideup

Shineysideup
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I would like a floorplan that allows access to the refrigerator when the slides are closed.
When my wife and I are traveling long distances it’s nice to be able to hop into the trailer at a rest stop to get some food without having to open a slideout.
That is very important to us also. Everything in our trailer is usable with the exception of 2 small overhead cabinets when the slide is closed. We could camp with the slide closed if need be.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #4

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Nice wish list and write-up Oakman.

This winter I was tempted by another camper, not a F/R product and not a 5'er 'cause that format does not meet our need.

I would like a camper that has four season capabilities - dual pane windows, sealed underbelly and flexible ability to power the unit (solar, capabilities for larger battery bank, space for on-board genny).

As a rule, I do not like campers with carpet anywhere but the master bedroom (if that).

Don't forget - ample room in the bathroom.

teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:12 AM   #5

Most RV now have water heater bypasses installed at the factory but some are really buried in the unit. I have experienced salesman that when I asked the location of the bypass they didn’t have a clue where it was and couldn’t find it either.

Same goes for the water filter and pump. My TT filter & pump is under the wardrobe closet. Would have been nice if they put an outside access door to get to the filter and the pump bypass.

Like your list.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #6

Nice morning cup of coffee read. DW and I are off to the Deland RV show today (weather pending) and will be looking at allot of those same things. We're good with out TT, it meets most of those listed wants.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel702 View Post

Same goes for the water filter and pump. My TT filter & pump is under the wardrobe closet. Would have been nice if they put an outside access door to get to the filter and the pump bypass.

Like your list.
That's a good addition to my list. A lot of fifth wheel brands are now very concerned about having a clean front storage area and some have started putting the water pump in an out of the way location. Having good access to the water pump is important for winterizing the plumbing.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #8

Boy the forest River people should be reading this. They could corner the market if these suggestion were put into a TT
kjoh75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #9

I should add that the Jammer does have an outside connection for winterizing or sanitizing the water system. The dealer provided a tube w/ a hose fitting for this connection. You still need to access the pump inside the cabinet to turn the by-pass. Maybe I need a mod to put a by-pass control on the outside.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #10

What I would like to see (and maybe this might just be a limitation of my trailer) is a hose connection directly outside the washroom. That way when you pull up to a dump station you can easily add a bunch of water to allow you black tank to dump better.

I've only dumped a handful of times, and each time I have used my water pump to fill the toilet. Which means holding the toilet flush for about 5 minutes to get enough water into the tank. Having a direct hose connection would save wear on the water pump; and also decrease the amount of time spent dumping. (Helpful if there is a lineup.)

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote