Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I would have been just as happy with your version. In fact Flagstaff has better colors, I think. The newest ones, built a few weeks after mine, will have truely ugly colors, IMHO. Flagstaffs may be some better, don't know.

We got the table/chairs cause our knees touch when we sat in a booth! And we don't need the bed. We do have the air hide a bed and it is neat but no one has slept on it yet.

It tows pretty good with a half ton. Got to watch the tranny temps. May get a bigger tranny cooler (or put fans on this one) before next summer. Was pleased overall with the set up.

I haven't figgered out too much about antennas. I don't want to spend much money so will use what's laying around the house or what I can make for a while.

We are really happy with the trailer!!
We originally were going to buy a Rockwood because there is a dealer in our county and we thought it would be nice to keep the business local. After a few conversations with them we decided to drive an hour and get the Flagstaff. About all I can see different is the sticker.

As far as the air-bed is concerned, there is a slight flaw in it's design that I fixed myself. When you are folding out the bed, the first set of stops are just a couple of bolts sticking out of the frame. They carry the entire load until you fold down the legs and unfold the final piece of the frame. This is where the bed is the weakest. If you open up the bed quickly and let it's dead weight pull it towards you, the pins (bolts) will bend. This causes the bed to sag in the middle. If you remove the storage drawer you can see very clearly what I am refering to. I tried to unscrew the bent pins. Unfortunatly these pins are just bolts screwed into a nut that is tack welded to the back of the frame. When I tried to remove them the welds broke loose.

I was going to take it back and have it fixed but it just would have done it again so I came up with a fix of my own. I cut some 3/4" plywood to replace the wimpy stops(pins) and screwed them into the wooden sides of the couch and now she works great. The mechanism now rests on the edge of the plywood block and has much better support. We slept on it one night just for kicks. It was very comfortable. No leaks! :-)

Bill
N6OVZ
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #22

very nice tt, enjoy . thank you for your pics.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #23

Radio,
Saw your post at rv.net, again, cangratulations!
If you are concerned about trans temperature, when you install the new cooler, switch out the ATF with synthetic. It makes a world of difference.
I used Amsoil ATF in my previous TV and had good luck with it. I plan on doing the same on my CTD around 10K miles.
BTW, I hope you didn't make your DW load the rest of the 5'er while you were running around taking pics!
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel