Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #1

Red face We lost weight

Finally finsihed up my WELCOME back home to Texas stuff yesterday.
Had to go weigh the fiver before they would let my get a tag
I am at a loss where the pounds went but we are still a bit overweight

fiver alone on scales 14600 ( 13870 GVWR as per FR) (15500 as per Lippert)
fiver axles 11825 2700 pin
and truck and fiver hitched up 22765

we are still planning on gutting the fold out couch, that shoudl be good for a 100 pounds off the axles and pulling out one side of the dinette and putting in some free standing chairs
for the life of me i cant understand why the pin wt is still up there? its down from 3300-3500 but still over the 1870 that FR recommends ??
Old 10-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #2

looks like you could use some airbags on that 1ton.
rr-kr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #3

when that picture was taken we were a bit heavy on the pin and the bed was full of HEAVY beverages

we sit pretty level now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Natchez trace22.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	424  
Old 10-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Newbie shopping for FR

With a gross weight of 14600 and a pin weight of 2700 you appear to have a weight distribution issue. Too much of your heavy stuff is forward of the axles. Maybe you can move some of the heavier items from your front pass though to the back of the trailer. If you are storing those heavy beverages that you mentioned up front things should even out for you once you have knocked a few back.
NorthernAvLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernAvLover View Post
With a gross weight of 14600 and a pin weight of 2700 you appear to have a weight distribution issue. Too much of your heavy stuff is forward of the axles. Maybe you can move some of the heavier items from your front pass though to the back of the trailer. If you are storing those heavy beverages that you mentioned up front things should even out for you once you have knocked a few back.

ok let me splain...
back in apr of 06 we took our first big trip in the fiver after sitting stationary for 9 months.
for grins i stopped and weighed us
OMG i about had a coronary at loves.
F/A R/A RV Axle Total
4620 7040 12,200 23860

i have a GAWR of 12k (2 axles at 6k each), i was carrying 12200 on the axles, this i did for about 1200 or so miles.
so i lightened up, dumped all fresh water, that got us to close to 12k and home safe

so i contacted forest river about adding a pair of 7k axles to bring our gawr to 14k.
they inturn forwarded my request to lippert
lippert told me they would do the swap at a minumual charge but the warranty would get voided by FR. and the ride would get harsh and culd cause subsequent issues later, and thats why the pair of 6k where chsen by engineering based on expected loads.
and a suggestion was made to carry more weight up front to get it off the axles and more on the pin since the frame is the same as the fiver thats rated at 15500 gvwr and we are tagged at 13870 gvwr. I was also told i could i run as high as 3500 on the pin as long as i didnt exceed the pin box rating of 15500.

so we offloaded stupid stuff like dead batteries, old magazines ( i am amazed at how fast they pile up) , cd cases and dvd cases lots of extra dishes, cleaned out the basement of extra tools and junk and put them in the truck tool boxes. three water hoses tow sewer hoses and an extr power cord.

so we lost some weight aft on the axles and some how gained some up front
F/A R/A RV Axle Total
4680 7420 11940 24040 that weight was when we left bama nd headed to texas on a perm basis.

so i asked my dear wife if we could loose a few more pounds to let us carry some fresh water
fiver axles 11825 2700 pin
and truck and fiver hitched up 22765

so we now are at a crossroads to move a bit more off the axles by gutting the sofa bed and loosing some shoes up front.
a side note the genny i think weighs considerably more than its listed.

i used to nt worry about weight until i had a bad blowout and found out i was nearly 2k over weight on a previous fiver
Old 10-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
Newbie shopping for FR

Wow.. now that's a story. Thanks for the update. I guess that I have not been around long enough to have all the details. I am just curious, did you ever get an empty weight for the unit?
NorthernAvLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #7

yep 11200 empty and 10000 on the axles
11400 was on the delivery lable ????
it bothered me we only had 2k to play with right off on the axles, i think it should be a pair of 7k axles right from the factory
i have asked many 36rlts owners about their weights and none so far seem very concerned for a coach thats listed as a full timer.

Tags
5th wheel