Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #11

No, unless you have DOT numbers on the side of your truck, if not keep her rolling

Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #12

I don't think so, but I'll add my story. In my personal vehicle a few years back, a full size two door blazer, pulling a 16' flatbed trailer, I motored on by a weigh station here in Nebraska. A trooper came flying out and I ended up getting a $300 ticket for not stopping, no trailer registration(my fault borrowed trailer but forgot paperwork). I had passenger plates, and the only thing on the trailer was two prebuilt fence panels and one push mower. All was strapped securely. I was actually going camping with my buddies. The fence panels were for our"fort" we were building on my buddies land for paintball. Not sure if I could have got out of it by contesting it, but paid the fine.

I'm always nervous passing open weigh stations now. Hopefully, the RV's exempt rule is true !

Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
phat phrog stunt crew

rv are exempt unless you are delivering them commercially. but then you would know to stop. in 15 yrs of driving otr, i have only seen rv's pulled over for inspection 1 time, and that was wyoming and that checkpoint was run by the fish and game dept. they were looking for deer tags and quotas on deer taken.

the cb was alive with very po'd campers.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #14

The scale people will look at you as if you do not know what you are doing if you pull into their station. This will raise red flags in their mind and they may want to check more than your 'weight'.

(I have had a Commercial License for over 30 years)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Old 08-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Ok, everyone who said it is for commercial only is WRONG IN MARYLAND according to the letter of the regulation. I've swapped emails with one of the SHA guys and asked. The signs and rule say- ANY truck over 5T GVWR must stop. There are no caveats, provisions or special exemptions for non-commercial or more specifically RV drivers. Technically, driving my dually with a 12,300 GVWR means that I should stop.

However, the *spirit* of the law is that it's only for commercial. I just drive on by, but if I ever get a cop who need to hit quota or is having a bad day or just wants to be a jerk - he's technically in the right and I'm technically in the wrong.

In Virginia, to get to one of truck rest stops on I95, you have to drive up to a scale. They directed me to go around when I came up to the split for the scale vs. bypass. I don't know their law and normally don't stop- it was just because I had to make the pees.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #16

Thanks everyone. Didn't think so.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
Site Team

This is a great topic, and one I never even considered:

Here are some more reading links, the first being from AAA which tells more of what must weigh, more than what is exempt:

Weigh Stations | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

California DOT:

Who Must Stop at Scales?

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
Old 08-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
This is a great topic, and one I never even considered:

Here are some more reading links, the first being from AAA:

Weigh Stations | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

California DOT:

Who Must Stop at Scales?
For the AAA one, Maryland doesn't reflect the actual law. The problem comes in when you talk about this- are you talking about the "letter of the law" or are you talking about the "spirit of the law"?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For the AAA one, Maryland doesn't reflect the actual law. The problem comes in when you talk about this- are you talking about the "letter of the law" or are you talking about the "spirit of the law"?
"Maryland

The Department of State Police maintains 7 vehicle weighing and measuring stations, with 1 station on Interstate 95.The following vehicles must stop: (1) agricultural vehicles over 10,000 lbs.; (2) all commercial vehicles over 10,000 lbs.; (3) commercial buses carrying over 16 passengers; (4) any hazardous material haulers requiring placards"
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

WMtire's AAA link has the basic info correct for Wisconsin:

Wisconsin
Trucks over 8,000 pounds gross vehicle weight must stop.

But, trucks under 8K can be ordered to be weighed by an officer.

As I recall, WI defines trucks as a Motor Truck (no idea there was another type) and certain farm trailers. No mention that RVs or travel trailers are exempt.

I've never stopped.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Closed Thread