Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
"Maryland

The Department of State Police maintains 7 vehicle weighing and measuring stations, with 1 station on Interstate 95.The following vehicles must stop: (1) agricultural vehicles over 10,000 lbs.; (2) all commercial vehicles over 10,000 lbs.; (3) commercial buses carrying over 16 passengers; (4) any hazardous material haulers requiring placards"
I read that, but I don't trust it. Here's a MD page that addresses it:
8. What vehicles must go through weigh stations in Maryland?

Quote:
All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at open weigh stations. Only vehicles that are operating in commerce will be subject to a safety inspection.
I do have to correct a previous statement. I looked back through my emails and can't see where I asked this directly of Maryland before. I can't find it and must be going off of a memory of this page.

I've sent an email in, but it usually takes them 2-3 days to respond.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
Always Learning

And again- I'm simply stating that the *letter* of the law is that you have to stop.

I don't stop nor have I ever seen RVs in them. Heck, my dually alone is over 5T GVWR and I should stop even when I am not towing.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #23
Phat Phrog Phlunky

That does make it clear as mud.........
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
Old 08-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
That does make it clear as mud.........
I do think it's pretty clear. If your GVWR is over 10,000 pounds, you're supposed to stop.

The catch comes in, I can't imagine them batting an eye at anyone in a dually or pulling a camper unless it has DOT #s or tags on the side.

i.e. The "letter" of the law vs. the "spirit" of the law.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
daydreaming about camping

Everyone needs to keep in mind that "weigh stations" are administered by the specific state Department of Transportation, and whatever state law enforcement agency is correct for that state. They enforce both Federal Motor Carrier Rules as well as state law.

In other words: they are unique for each state, and each driver is required to know and understand the laws for the state they are travelling in.

In another thread a few months back we were discussing towing doubles and I posted the information for a specific state on length. People wanted to debate what those laws meant, or if they would be enforced against an RV.

Please do not confuse a lack of enforcement with permission under the law. I can tell you plenty of stories of people who have, and the sad repercussions they have paid.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #26
Always Learning

Matthew (Jeeplj8) is 100% right - each state IS different. I got an email response already back from the MD State Highway Administration.

My email to them:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad
I'm just a private individual/non-commercial. I have bought a Ram 3500 dually that has a GVWR of 12,300 pounds. I also bought a fifth wheel camper with a GVWR of 12,000 pounds.

As I drive down the highway, I pass the weigh stations and see the signs that say- "All vehicles over 5T GVWR must stop". Rightly or wrongly, to date- I haven't stopped at any of them.

By my figuring, even in my truck alone with the 12,300 GVWR, I'm supposed to stop at these. And, when towing the camper, I'm supposed to stop.
And here is their response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland State Highway Administration
You are correct, you would be required to enter. Although you are driving a RV for non-business use and are exempted from the commercial regulations, you must still enter the scale house with your vehicle as required by the signs “All vehicles over 5T GVWR/GCWR must enter” The reason being, if you use an RV for business (such as transporting a musical band that receives compensation ) all regulations would apply at that point, but the only way an inspector would know, is if you would make yourself available for interaction with the facility staff.

More than likely you will be flagged on through when you enter without ever having to stop, however the signs require you enter.

If signs on the approach to a scale house in other states indicate “ALL COMMERCIAL VEHICLES MUST ENTER” then you could confidently go by without entering. In Maryland however the signs do indicate “ALL VEHICLES…”
There you have it. In MD, you are required to stop and likely will be just waved through. You decide if you're going to adhere to the law or not.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #27
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Matthew (Jeeplj8) is 100% right - each state IS different. I got an email response already back from the MD State Highway Administration.

My email to them:

There you have it. In MD, you are required to stop and likely will be just waved through. You decide if you're going to adhere to the law or not.

That makes it perfectly clear for me. I had often wondered being a Maryland resident. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post

That makes it perfectly clear for me. I had often wondered being a Maryland resident. Thanks!
Just bear in mind what Matthew said above- when you drive into PA, DE, VA and NJ that each state has its own rules.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #29
daydreaming about camping

It occurs to me that Indiana is another that states all vehicles over 10K GCVWR...and a few FROGS are there right now...

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #30
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Originally Posted by Maryland State Highway Administration
You are correct, you would be required to enter. Although you are driving a RV for non-business use and are exempted from the commercial regulations, you must still enter the scale house with your vehicle as required by the signs “All vehicles over 5T GVWR/GCWR must enter” The reason being, if you use an RV for business (such as transporting a musical band that receives compensation ) all regulations would apply at that point, but the only way an inspector would know, is if you would make yourself available for interaction with the facility staff.

More than likely you will be flagged on through when you enter without ever having to stop, however the signs require you enter.

If signs on the approach to a scale house in other states indicate “ALL COMMERCIAL VEHICLES MUST ENTER” then you could confidently go by without entering. In Maryland however the signs do indicate “ALL VEHICLES…”

Now if everyone obeyed the law this they would quickly change as the system would come to a grinding halt, this shows the need to stop electing lawyers who can't make it in the real world, just my humble opinion.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #31
phat phrog stunt crew

my advice would be to drive on past and enjoy your vacation. that was also the opinion of the illinois state dot officer i had the privelege of working with today for about 5 hours. he says some people pull thru when unsure, but always get the bypass light.

as far as maryland is concerned, i would just drive past and be done with it. they dont know if your rv is for business or pleasure according to the statement and probably wouldnt know unless you make that info available. sounds to me like they dont really care, but are throwing it out there as a blanket statement. kinda hard to get all that info on a sign that says scales open/closed.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #32
Steve & Phyllis

If you are going up I75 in Ohio and take the Hopple St exit and go west about a mile you come to a viaduct(large bridge). The sign says "no trucks". Don't know how they feel about weigh stations but woe to you if you are caught on there in an F150. Registration says "light truck". $175 please.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBingham52 View Post
If you are going up I75 in Ohio and take the Hopple St exit and go west about a mile you come to a viaduct(large bridge). The sign says "no trucks". Don't know how they feel about weigh stations but woe to you if you are caught on there in an F150. Registration says "light truck". $175 please.
Yep, gotta love that! No on the F150, but my Excursion that weighs 3k lbs more is OK!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #34
Newbie.

[QUOTE="Dodge Guy;440163"]

Here in Canada (New Brunswick) the scales have a sensor on the highway 1/8th mile before that takes your pic and weighs you as you pass over it. in the scale house your image and weights come up on their screen and they simply press a button that illuminates a sign just before the scale entrance to say "vehicle to bypass scale" or "vehicle to enter scale"
Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #35

We snowbird down I95 to FL every year in Dec for the past 6 years & to TX a couple times.
Have never stopped & don't plan on ever stopping.
I drove OTR for several years.
Real truckers are on a schedule & don't need to have RVs tying up the scales.
I do everything I can to help keep those guys rolling.
Been towing an RV since the early 90s.
There are plenty of stories of the guy in the next campsite who' brother's, girlfriend's father got pulled over but I have never heard of a first hand instance of an RVer being pulled over & or cited for not stopping.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
Old 08-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #36

indirectly related, I guess. We were coming home from the Finger Lakes region of NY. Driving pretty fast, 15 over the speed limit. We crested a hill in a line of autos and there sat a Trooper with a speed gun. We watched him time the first two vehicles, skip us, then continue with the vehicle behind me. I guess he though there's no way I was speeding or he did not want to bother with truck & camper. I dunno.

I did pull into a weigh station once, as the sign said, "all trucks must pull over" no specified weight. My truck tag says "truck" The officers waved me thru.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #37
semi-senior member

Truck drivers just laugh or other various remarks at the RVer that pulls into a scale. Thats what I always did!!!!

Happy Camping
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
Old 08-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #38

To the OP. Read post #2 and that is the correct answer for RVers. I can't believe how muddled threads can get by people who read state regulations and think they know what they mean. Take a look at my states map. I've been traveling for a long time and have yet to stop at a highway weigh scale.

How about someone responding to this post who has stopped at a state weigh station. In some states the troopers can get real snarky with RVers who pull in.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Old 08-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
It occurs to me that Indiana is another that states all vehicles over 10K GCVWR...and a few FROGS are there right now...
I blew right through.
If they gave chase evidently they couldn't catch the blue duramax cause I never seen no weight cop!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by denandra2 View Post
Truck drivers just laugh or other various remarks at the RVer that pulls into a scale. Thats what I always did!!!!

Happy Camping
What he said!!
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
Closed Thread