Old 09-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #1771

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I ordered mine directly from Home - Discount Tire Direct. Shipped free to my door. I then took 2 tires at a time to a local tire shop to have them mounted and balanced before reinstalling them on the camper.

Just remember to check torque every 25-50 miles or so the first trip out until they stop loosening up.
How is the tire torque going to loosen up after the rims have been set already? Are you saying that if you have a flat after I torque it to mine at 110 lbs the lugs nut will loosen again? That is just crazy. When you change a tire on a car do you stop every 25 miles to check the lugs? I don't they are set by now. Even better do you think that the person who transported the trailer ever checked the torque, when they where brand new, I don't think so...... Is it wise to check once before a trip Yes, that's it.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #1772
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
I'm envious of you guys who can wash your trailers. With the drought here in Texas, we can only wash our vehicles at a car wash...and no one has a car wash big enough for my 5th wheel!
Oh but they do!

http://squeekycarwash.com/

TURBS

How can I annoy OC today?

Old 09-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #1773

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Love your new signature, just don't hold it back, say what's on your mind......I guess you do..
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #1774
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
How is the tire torque going to loosen up after the rims have been set already? Are you saying that if you have a flat after I torque it to mine at 110 lbs the lugs nut will loosen again? That is just crazy. When you change a tire on a car do you stop every 25 miles to check the lugs? I don't they are set by now. Even better do you think that the person who transported the trailer ever checked the torque, when they where brand new, I don't think so...... Is it wise to check once before a trip Yes, that's it.
Not checking tire torque, checking the torque on the lug nuts and they do not seat completely on the initial tightening. What the transporters do is of no concern once the trailer is mine. Steel wheels on your car/truck are a completely different animal. They are not aluminum. But, you do what you want. Me, I'll check mine after they've been off as will others that are concerned and have checked them as I have and found them in need of tweaking.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #1775

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Then lord help all of us ignorant industry pros that don't know anything.

It's a precaution, yes they can and have loosened up, you're probably ready to get out and stretch after a couple of hours driving. Take the minute it takes to put the wrench on the lugs.

The airline industry torques every bolt/nut in pattern, then loosens one bolt/nut at a time and torques it back down to spec. The wrench will turn further than before, that's because the part settles in.

The same thing happens while towing. Everything gets to a settled point and will then take another 1/8-1/4 turn to reach torque.

Even your buddy OC says it takes a few whacks with the torque wrench to reach final torque.

Were they checked during delivery? We don't know. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #1776
NELA

With our V-Lite, we took OC's advice and checked torque about every 200 miles on our way to Pigeon Forge last year. Yep, found them in need of a tweak a couple of times.

Doing the same with our 5er. Sneak checks them before we leave, and if it's a long trip he re-checks, especially with the new tires, occasionally during the run.

I repeat: being OCD is a *good thing* when you're an RVer.

Sneak keeps his torque wrench in the truck door pocket. It only takes a few minutes to be "better safe than sorry".

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #1777

took some clothes out and going to get ready to winterize it
2013 25 nites
2014 14 nites
2015 16 nites
BillyBass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #1778

X2 F1100Turbo, OldCoot, SKnight and Weezer
Old 09-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #1779
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Then lord help all of us ignorant industry pros that don't know anything.

It's a precaution, yes they can and have loosened up, you're probably ready to get out and stretch after a couple of hours driving. Take the minute it takes to put the wrench on the lugs.

The airline industry torques every bolt/nut in pattern, then loosens one bolt/nut at a time and torques it back down to spec. The wrench will turn further than before, that's because the part settles in.

The same thing happens while towing. Everything gets to a settled point and will then take another 1/8-1/4 turn to reach torque.

Even your buddy OC says it takes a few whacks with the torque wrench to reach final torque.

Were they checked during delivery? We don't know. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.
Well said SKnight, but for a few folks, it is all for naught! They don't do it, so why would anyone else do it regardless of the logic?
Old 09-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #1780

There is a sticker on every camper I have owned about checking lug nuts in 50 miles after having the tire off. I lost one on a pop up in side the 50 miles.

Tags
camper