Got my trailer-aid yesterday so today I took it out to the storage and gave it a try, Wanted to be sure it worked before hitting the road again. It's one of those things like insurance, would rather have it and not need it.
While at it I got out the old grease gun and pumped grease into the wheel off the ground spinning the wheel as the grease went in X 4. One wheel took 2 pumps, two others took 4 or 5 pumps and one took 14 pumps before I could see grease moving. This is a new unit with about 3k miles on it, why such a difference. After finishing the grease job I took the 5r down the highway about 20 miles and back. Temp at all 4 drums was all within 5* and the breaks seemed OK, hope no grease got into the drum area. I am from old school and have always hand packed bearings, this type of a system is new to me and I am getting old and lazy. If all goes well this year the hubs will be pulled, cleaned and a full brake inspection next spring. This is a brand new unit that we picked up 12/30/13. Also inspected the china tires, no bumps, bubbles or cracks yet. All the dust plugs were missing on all the wheels that should be on the back of the brake assembly plates. Two should be on each wheel. After a trip to NAPA they now have dust and moisture covers. I suggest that anyone that has a unit with drum brakes check behind the drum to be sure the moisture / dust covers are in place.
Lifted 2014 8289WS Diamond pkg
2014 Ram 2500 4wd SB DC TCD