Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #6001
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Ditchdigger...using fresh fuel?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #6002
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
Trying to figure out what is wrong with this piece of $%#@ Onan QE 5500 EVAP GEN. It worked just fine when I bought the RV but about 6 months later it would not start from inside of the RV so I took it to the Onan dealer, they got it so it would start from inside, but now it will not run the AC,( which it did before) and I have to play with it to get it to run the Microwave. They said it needed to be run (that's when it had 150 hrs now it has 482 hrs) and it still runs the same. Sometimes it runs OK when there is no load, but with a load it starts bobbling and popping. Sometimes it starts then runs a minute or two, then shuts down, sometimes it runs a couple of seconds and shuts down, then sometimes it will run for hours. It is driving me up a wall. Saturday I when out to boondock and I could not keep it running for more than 15 seconds and it would shut down, so I had to go back to the RV park, today I started it and it did the something. So I drove to town to get some parts, and when I got back with the parts I tried starting it and it running, like it normally runs. it been running for an hour and a half now. I am think about pulling it out and in stalling solar panels on the roof and installing batteries where the gen. is at now, and install an inverter, for the 120 volt ac.

Fuel pump, fuel filter and or a pinched fuel line.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #6003

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
Checked them all out. First thing changed fuel pump and fuel filter, no change, even replaced the little fuel filter with a bigger fuel filter. I think it is in the electronic. One time I get code 36, next time it is 37, then 13, now 14. The codes 13, and 14 are voltage codes, one is to low, and the other is too high. The 36 code just means that it shut down for some reason, and the 37 say take it to your dealer. Why can't they make them like the Honda gen. You can run the he!! out of them, then let them set for a year and they still start and run good. These Onan's you have to run them at least 2 hrs a month or you have problems with them. I am thinking about replacing it with a Honda and solar power.
Ditchdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:35 AM   #6004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra360PDEK View Post
Started out cleaning out the back flow preventer on the water pump but ended up spending four hours shortening the heat duct and creating more room. I was able to cut off 4' on each of the four flexible and eliminating the duct spaghetti mess. Spray foamed all floor openings and moved three walls 6" back creating more room in what was wasted space.

Today I'm adding a 120 volt outlet in the hallway that I be able to plug into the 120 v 20 amp pedestal given us more power while on a 30 amp circuit.
Same here...shortened heat duct & replaced all 4" ducts with residential dryer product, much thicker/stronger than original. Also used worm clamps after removing staples at connections plus some silver cold weather tape.

Added PVC 1/4 turn valve to water pump and shutoff ball valve to fresh water tank to make winterizing easier. Now I use only one gallon of anti-freeze. Reused black panels to make more storage room behind basement area.

Added hooks to front wall in basement storage for small hanging items. Might as well us it since the mother-in-law won't fit there!

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #6005
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
Trying to figure out what is wrong with this piece of $%#@ Onan QE 5500 EVAP GEN. It worked just fine when I bought the RV but about 6 months later it would not start from inside of the RV so I took it to the Onan dealer, they got it so it would start from inside, but now it will not run the AC,( which it did before) and I have to play with it to get it to run the Microwave. They said it needed to be run (that's when it had 150 hrs now it has 482 hrs) and it still runs the same. Sometimes it runs OK when there is no load, but with a load it starts bobbling and popping. Sometimes it starts then runs a minute or two, then shuts down, sometimes it runs a couple of seconds and shuts down, then sometimes it will run for hours. It is driving me up a wall. Saturday I when out to boondock and I could not keep it running for more than 15 seconds and it would shut down, so I had to go back to the RV park, today I started it and it did the something. So I drove to town to get some parts, and when I got back with the parts I tried starting it and it running, like it normally runs. it been running for an hour and a half now. I am think about pulling it out and in stalling solar panels on the roof and installing batteries where the gen. is at now, and install an inverter, for the 120 volt ac.
With the alcohol in the gas now a days I see the fuel gelling in the carb quite often. Once this occurs it may not start or will only run on full choke or, like in your case, run but not under load because the main jet is partially clogged.
Letting it sit for any length of time with untreated fuel and this can happen, especially if there's a swing in temperature.
Remedy, pull the carb and go through it making sure all the passages and jets are clear. Then I usually drain out all the old gas and put in fresh.
They probably told you it had to be run in hopes that it would work it's way clean, but rarely does.
Of course there's other things it could be such as a bad ignition pickup or coil among other things.
It sounds like you need to take it back to them if you don't do your own work.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #6006

Finally got my Rockwood 2703ws exactly the way I wanted. So what did I do? Traded it on a Motorhome. Go figure, now I have to start over.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #6007
Left Coast

Out of the fry'n pan, into the fire.....good luck!
Old 01-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #6008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
We in the past used Sea Foam for storage then Isopropyl to prevent Fuel line freeze up with our Snowmobiles! Now Most Mfg.suggest Star Tron as it helps with the Crappy Gas Issues as well and covers all the other storage problems also! Youroo!! If it has a Gas engine 2 or 4 Cycle and is stored it has Star Tron in it now!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #6009
Left Coast

Found at auto parts stores?
Old 01-12-2016, 10:05 AM   #6010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Found at auto parts stores?
Yes and it is BLUE! Star Tron! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #6011
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It's not cheap either !

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #6012
Left Coast

In the long run, I just start my stuff up every 2 to 3 weeks..and it's FREE!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #6013

I had all the normal fuel problems with my chain saw, leaf blower, tiller and a few other gas powered things. Every shop told me the problem was with the fuel additives used by the refineries. Based on a couple of shop recommendations about three years ago I started using the Star Tron stuff.

Haven't had a single problem with anything since then.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #6014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
Same here...shortened heat duct & replaced all 4" ducts with residential dryer product, much thicker/stronger than original. Also used worm clamps after removing staples at connections plus some silver cold weather tape.

Added PVC 1/4 turn valve to water pump and shutoff ball valve to fresh water tank to make winterizing easier. Now I use only one gallon of anti-freeze. Reused black panels to make more storage room behind basement area.

Added hooks to front wall in basement storage for small hanging items. Might as well us it since the mother-in-law won't fit there!
I will eventually replace the flex duct with standard metal duct pipe. This just looks like a fire waiting to happen.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #6015
Left Coast

Replace the dryer duct at home?
Old 01-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #6016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwoodjoe View Post
Finally got my Rockwood 2703ws exactly the way I wanted. So what did I do? Traded it on a Motorhome. Go figure, now I have to start over.

Hey Joe.....now ya gotta change your screen name too.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #6017

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We in the past used Sea Foam for storage then Isopropyl to prevent Fuel line freeze up with our Snowmobiles! Now Most Mfg.suggest Star Tron as it helps with the Crappy Gas Issues as well and covers all the other storage problems also! Youroo!! If it has a Gas engine 2 or 4 Cycle and is stored it has Star Tron in it now!
Just use Seafoam never have trouble.
msroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #6018

Today I added a 3 way light switch in line with the water heater plug, when its switched one way elec.water heater will work, switched other way goes toplug in trailer. Figuring to use for elec. Space heater when water heaters not in use.
bowebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #6019

Just upgraded to class D tires. OK load D what ever. I got 4 new Maxxis M8008 tires. I think I got a good deal on them. I will feel a lot better going down the highways.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #6020

I put Maxxis M8008 on my Rockwood before a 5k trip last summer. Could not have been happier with them. No tire issues at all and the roads around Denver are horrible.

Tags
camper