Old 08-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #4631

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That's how I did my 4 when I bought new tires 2 years ago. Only I used a floor jack vs. the Anderson.
What's the latest on your tire dilemma?

Nights camped 2016 = 25!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #4632

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat56 View Post
I can't speak for OC but my plan is to use my Anderson Rapid Jack to get one tire off the ground, take that tire off and replace it with the spare then use the Rapid Jack to get the other tire on the same side off the ground and take it off and take them both to have the valve stems replaced and balanced, reverse the process to put them back on and then do the same thing to the other side.
I wonder how tall that Anderson Rapid Jack is. I tried this very trick using my 4" tall Andersen Leveler, and that wasn't tall enough to get my rear tire off. I ended up using both sets of Lync Levelers and building a ramp 5 blocks high to get the clearance I needed.

Big Bad Wolf - '15 Dodge Ram 2500HD 6.7 CTD / Reese 15k Pro
Wolf Den 3 - '14 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8280WS
Nights camped 2015: 25
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #4633

Today my Turbs Poles arrived, and I mounted them up to my OC Awning Brackets! Did a couple minor repairs, and started the loading for the big trip.

Big Bad Wolf - '15 Dodge Ram 2500HD 6.7 CTD / Reese 15k Pro
Wolf Den 3 - '14 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8280WS
Nights camped 2015: 25
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #4634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
What's the latest on your tire dilemma?
Flat tire on Tuesday. Right now, I'm sitting on the spare + existing tire on that side. We're parked until sometime next week.

Because I'm so close to capacity on 3 tires and actually over on 1, I'm getting nutty and swapping out wheels + tires entirely. I'm going to go with 17.5" commercial wheels + LR H tires. I'll have something like 4,700 pounds of capacity (vs. the 3,420 I have right now). I'll be well covered for my load.

I am also going to have my springs replaced on the camper. And am exploring having shocks installed.

I'm not sure if the shop who does the springs will replace the wheels (and who provides me the wheels/tires) or if I'll do it on my own. If I do it on my own, it'll be done with Lynx blocks and wood for a ramp and if I need any extra, with my truck's jack.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:27 PM   #4635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
I wonder how tall that Anderson Rapid Jack is. I tried this very trick using my 4" tall Andersen Leveler, and that wasn't tall enough to get my rear tire off. I ended up using both sets of Lync Levelers and building a ramp 5 blocks high to get the clearance I needed.
The box says it has a 5.75" lift.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #4636

Quote:
Flat tire on Tuesday. Right now, I'm sitting on the spare + existing tire on that side. We're parked until sometime next week.

Because I'm so close to capacity on 3 tires and actually over on 1, I'm getting nutty and swapping out wheels + tires entirely. I'm going to go with 17.5" commercial wheels + LR H tires. I'll have something like 4,700 pounds of capacity (vs. the 3,420 I have right now). I'll be well covered for my load.

I am also going to have my springs replaced on the camper. And am exploring having shocks installed.

I'm not sure if the shop who does the springs will replace the wheels (and who provides me the wheels/tires) or if I'll do it on my own. If I do it on my own, it'll be done with Lynx blocks and wood for a ramp and if I need any extra, with my truck's jack.
I remember reading your prior post(s) about what you have going on. But maybe I didn't understand, is your 5w "underbuilt" or are you trying to gain capacity?

Don't go into too much detail or you'll lose me.
Nights camped 2016 = 25!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #4637
Site Team

Went over the damage with insurance adjuster. He knew so little about RVs (by his own admission) that he gave me an open estimate of $1.00. Doesn't matter. Owner of the offending golf cart wasn't insured anyway.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #4638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I remember reading your prior post(s) about what you have going on. But maybe I didn't understand, is your 5w "underbuilt" or are you trying to gain capacity?

Don't go into too much detail or you'll lose me.

The tires are under sized for the axles. By 160 pounds per axle.

The springs have flattened and did so before this year+ long trip; I think they're undersized for the camper.

And I'm running heavy now. I know I can't gain capacity, but I'm trying to gain some breathing room for the maximums that I'm hitting. The tires are the most likely to break due to being at and over capacity, so they're my highest priority.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #4639
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
The tires are under sized for the axles. By 160 pounds per axle.

The springs have flattened and did so before this year+ long trip; I think they're undersized for the camper.

And I'm running heavy now. I know I can't gain capacity, but I'm trying to gain some breathing room for the maximums that I'm hitting. The tires are the most likely to break due to being at and over capacity, so they're my highest priority.
Do you have a thread started with this adventure of building up your suspension? I'd like to see how it all works out. Post up them part numbers when you get it all ordered or figured out.
05CrewDually is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #4640

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Do you have a thread started with this adventure of building up your suspension? I'd like to see how it all works out. Post up them part numbers when you get it all ordered or figured out.

I have at least 2 going with different symptoms but I think the end result is the same issue (flattened springs).

Here's where I'll keep updating:
Maxed out and overweight LR E tires - wmtire & Tireman9, ideas?

ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper