Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 11:47 PM   #11561

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
Wow the deer come right up to your truck?
I've got half a dozen does and two fawns that visit me of an evening, but they are pretty skittish.
The apple flavored deer corn did the trick, plus the 15 turkeys said it was ok.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:14 AM   #11562

Well, today wasn't about what I did for my camper, it was about what I did for my camping. Looking for more interesting camera angles for camping photos and video, I picked up my first aerial camera today: a DJI Mavic Pro drone. 4K video/12MP stills, a 4.3-mile range, 1600-foot altitude, speeds up to 40 mph and 27-minute flight time per battery.

I went to see a buddy this afternoon for a little flight instruction in Sandy, Utah, before returning home to Cottonwood Heights for another flight on my own. I was testing the camera, and put together a test edit of the video below (be sure to choose 4K resolution if your connection can handle it, although it looks like you have to click through to YouTube to get 4K -- they seem to be capping embedding at UHD). This was more of an experiment with my new drone and the Cyberlink PowerDirector editing software than anything else.

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #11563
Broken Toe

I installed my RVLock keyless entry. Bought it open but uninstalled for $50 from someone who found out it wont work with their camper.

Installation was "throw it at the wall" easy, except for one small item. The indoor latch handle was a bit bigger (wider) than the OEM one. When trying to close the door, the latch lever would impact the screen door frame and would not let the door close.

I tried to cobble the old handle onto the new lock, but it was just different enough not to work. Looking at the lever from the inside, there was extra material to the outside (door frame side) of the handle that the OEM one didn't have. As it was not 'structural' in any way I wound up taking the handle off and using the bench grinder, knocking off about 1/4" of the extra width of the lever, so that the dimension from the pivot pin to the frame side was about the same as the OEM one. A quick spot of black paint, and you would never know it was altered. It's not exactly perfect, but it works.

I mounted the keypad to the side of the door, that way the action of closing the door won't beat it up, and I put it low enough that my wife can reach it from the ground.

It's going to be nice. there has been many times I've been in the driveway and I wanted to pop into the camper to get something or put something in it, and I'd have to go into the house, get the keys and then make sure I didn't lose them or forget them outside when I was done (I have done that more than a few times).

So far, it works as advertised.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170916_145113.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	151733  

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #11564

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTracks View Post
Well, today wasn't about what I did for my camper, it was about what I did for my camping. Looking for more interesting camera angles for camping photos and video, I picked up my first aerial camera today: a DJI Mavic Pro drone. 4K video/12MP stills, a 4.3-mile range, 1600-foot altitude, speeds up to 40 mph and 27-minute flight time per battery.

I went to see a buddy this afternoon for a little flight instruction in Sandy, Utah, before returning home to Cottonwood Heights for another flight on my own. I was testing the camera, and put together a test edit of the video below (be sure to choose 4K resolution if your connection can handle it, although it looks like you have to click through to YouTube to get 4K -- they seem to be capping embedding at UHD). This was more of an experiment with my new drone and the Cyberlink PowerDirector editing software than anything else.

Nice! Did not change anything on phone and came in Crystal clear and sharp! Been through Utah. Got a kick out of in the middle of nowhere, "Lets start I 70 here"!
Old 09-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #11565

Still camping in ours but I have to look at fixing the roof membrane which is pulling out from the track. there doesn't seem to be any sealer laid at the top of the track to repel water either.

we also have to find out why the panelling is popping off the small corner stud.
2018 KZ.
next week we replace the pin box with a Flex air trail air system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170917_144209_1505733468376_resized.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	151737   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170916_132915_1505733490508_resized.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	151738  
Old 09-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #11566
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTracks View Post

Nice!
Been flying a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced for a couple years now.
Loads of enjoyment.
Enjoy yours!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #11567

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
.... we also have to find out why the panelling is popping off the small corner stud.
2018 KZ.
My whole camper is coming apart like your corner stud. Fault is that staple you see in your photo. Staples into aluminum, shake and stir going down the road, equals slow disassembly.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #11568

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Nice! Did not change anything on phone and came in Crystal clear and sharp! Been through Utah. Got a kick out of in the middle of nowhere, "Lets start I 70 here"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Nice!
Been flying a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced for a couple years now.
Loads of enjoyment.
Enjoy yours!
Appreciate it! Yeah, my buddy "flight instructor" has been flying for years with a Mavic, and Phantoms 4, 3 and 2, and I've been somewhat jealous of the shots he's able to obtain. Using his shots only works when he's camping with us, so I finally bit the bullet. I was shocked at how easy the darned thing is to fly, although I'm calling State Farm this morning to property insure the thing. That's a lot of coin to risk to a random crash.

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #11569
Failure is my business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I installed my RVLock keyless entry. Bought it open but uninstalled for $50 from someone who found out it wont work with their camper.

Installation was "throw it at the wall" easy, except for one small item. The indoor latch handle was a bit bigger (wider) than the OEM one. When trying to close the door, the latch lever would impact the screen door frame and would not let the door close.

I tried to cobble the old handle onto the new lock, but it was just different enough not to work. Looking at the lever from the inside, there was extra material to the outside (door frame side) of the handle that the OEM one didn't have. As it was not 'structural' in any way I wound up taking the handle off and using the bench grinder, knocking off about 1/4" of the extra width of the lever, so that the dimension from the pivot pin to the frame side was about the same as the OEM one. A quick spot of black paint, and you would never know it was altered. It's not exactly perfect, but it works.

I mounted the keypad to the side of the door, that way the action of closing the door won't beat it up, and I put it low enough that my wife can reach it from the ground.

It's going to be nice. there has been many times I've been in the driveway and I wanted to pop into the camper to get something or put something in it, and I'd have to go into the house, get the keys and then make sure I didn't lose them or forget them outside when I was done (I have done that more than a few times).

Tim
We love ours. I installed the ones with integrated keypads on all three doors.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #11570

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
The apple flavored deer corn did the trick, plus the 15 turkeys said it was ok.
I originally started with a half bag of corn at the far end of the field. Put piles (about a cup) each a 100 feet or so closer to the 5er. Got up to the tall skinny plant on the left (Mullein) which I used as a reference. We went away for two weeks when I returned Wednesday PM, the place was covered with deer and turkey tracks. My 5er pad was built while we were there a couple of weeks ago but the road was finished when we were gone. Most of the area was clear of the tracks but evidently they could smell the apple corn in the old motor home next to us. So when I arrived Wednesday, I saw all of the tracks and knew what was going on. I started Thursday AM where I left off but closer. I went out after putting the corn out to walk my two Chihuahuas. I wasn't paying any attention until I got about 60' down our old road when I noticed that doe and fawn looking like pointers on the hunt. They did not notice me nor my dogs, just beelined it to the furtherest corn pile. The fawn danced around a bit and soon discovered the second closer pile which was a bit larger than the first. Mom came over and started eating too then the turkeys, which roost in a tree about two thirds down on the left came in (on schecule) and decided to share and clean up. As they were finishing things up another doe came in sniffed around but stayed to graze and found the third pile I had put further downfield. Somehow another two does saw her and came over.

All that activity gave me the idea to move things up very close thus the pictures.

Evidently our land which has a marshy edge is good to the deer. Our neighbor told us that she even saw a moose walk up past her house from our marsh last spring.

So as I was having fun watching the deer and turkeys, the DW said, "You need to watch how much corn you leave around while we aren't here. The momma bear likes apple flavored corn too."

Yep, not 100 yards from our western property line, a bear.

No more storing deer/turkey food.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #11571

62 out of 90 feet...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2017-09-18 171122 .jpg
Views:	185
Size:	469.6 KB
ID:	151773  
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #11572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

Tim
That is just about my story, and your picture is about identical to my doorway! Only I used a Dremmel to grind down the handle. I have a problem with the numeric pad - it has stopped getting the door to lock/unlock. Keypad still lights up when numbers are pressed, so it isn't dead. Key fob works perfectly. I sent a note to RV Lock and they want me to call them, I'll do that tomorrow and see what gives.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 PM   #11573

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
62 out of 90 feet...
I didn't take a picture of my open trench, I had to close it up as we were leaving to come home before the rains started and a kindly neighbor came by with a tractor wth a blade on the back!

What a back saver! He filled in the whole thing in a matter of minutes and we got home a day early.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #11574

Cleaning up the rats nest...

Got our MH last month and finally got around to tightening all the electrical connections on the converter, battery system, and took a look behind the panel above the refrigerator and this is what I found (First two pictures). All the controllers were just bouncing around on top of the wires AND the ground buss.

I mounted the controllers to the wall and the buss to the bottom (Last two pictures), then tightened all the connections. There was even a stripped wire attached to one of the controllers that could have easily shorted out something. Everything works, so I just taped it off...

The wiring still looks like a rats nest, but at least I feel better knowing the terminals won't be bouncing on one another.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WNest1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	151781   Click image for larger version

Name:	WNest2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	151782   Click image for larger version

Name:	WNest4.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	151783   Click image for larger version

Name:	WNest5.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	151784  
Old 09-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #11575

Name:	20170918_192548.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	151785Click image for larger version

Name:	20170918_192554.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	151786Click image for larger version

Name:	20170918_192633.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	151787
Latest mod. Extra counter space. Still have To find away to secure it from swinging while traveling
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #11576

I installed Morryde steps on our 2016 Sandpiper 360PDEK. Wow!
This is a great product. I installed by myself in about 15 minutes. Super sturdy, wider, feel secure when using. One of best mods yet.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #11577

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1972 View Post
Hows the install for that, wire for wire? I have a Coleman Mach manual one, and the slide is just really a guessing game
Just following up. The thermostat showed up about a week ago. I installed it last Tuesday. Wire colors matched exactly. Had it running over the weekend - no issues. Initially, couldn't figure out why the ac wasn't really cooling the trailer down. Then I noticed one of the ceiling air ducts was pointed right at the thermostat. Adjusted the duct and everything (and everyone) was happy. Definitely not getting the wide temp swings that the manual gave us and with the digital readout, I know what the temperature is.

FWIW, when I did the install, I plugged the huge hole that the wires were running thru with a wad of cotton. Thermostat is mounted on a wall that has the refer on the other side - not sure if that would have caused the thermostat to read high or low...
Old 09-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #11578

I was asked to post up a pic of a Lavatory faucet I installed this weekend. I got rid of the cheesy POS all plastic hunk of junk that came in the camper and put in a Price Pfister Brushed Chrome single handle with a ceramic cartridge that should last Pforever.

The first pic is of this. I also am putting up pics of other mods,

2 shelves I built and hinge up and down

Light Switch when you come in door so as not to have to open that door on wall

Light switch on wall entering the bedroom so not to have to reach overhead to turn on lights.

2 shelves in bathroom.

In the one pic of the wall shelf you can see a switch beside the stereo. That operates a set of 5 "scare lights" to keep critters out from under the camper at night. the previous owner installed them but he had a cheesy setup that required to go out and plug in and extension cord. I changed it to operate by a switch inside which we find much more convenient

Sorry, pic of entry door switch is 90 degrees off
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0525.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	151838   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0517.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	151839   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0518.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	151840   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0519.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	151841   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0520.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	151842  

Name:	DSC_0521.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	151843   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0522.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	151844   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0523.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	151845   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0524.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	151846  
Old 09-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #11579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinn View Post
Latest mod. Extra counter space. Still have To find away to secure it from swinging while traveling
How about a bungee cord, secured to a large cup hook attached underneath the overhang of the counter on the back side down to the pull knob of the bottom drawer on the front side.

It would be diagonal but it would keep it from swinging and be nearly invisible and nothing to hang up anything as you pass by.

Just a thought
Old 09-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #11580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinn View Post
Attachment 151785Attachment 151786Attachment 151787
Depending on how much room there is between the panel and the cabinet, you could use a magnetic catch. Anything from just a couple of the high strength magnets mounted to the cabinet and a matching piece of metal on the panel up to the magnetic door stops that are out there. Search magnetic door stop at one of the big box stores for ideas.

Tags
camper