Old 05-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #7811

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The propane side, yes- definitely.

The 120v side, I'm not sure. We had been following the smell for a little while and narrowed it down to the water heater. We started switching to propane-only and would turn on electric for the faster recovery. So I'm not positive if it worked at all. I do know, the last day that we used electric- the smell was instant and incredibly strong. Turned it back off and decided that under no circumstance would it be used again until someone inspected it.

Does the electric really heat the tank faster? I figured it would maintain a good temp but propane would hear it quicker, in any event looks like you averted a really bad problem and tragedy so good thing 😳

2016 F350 CREW 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
2015 FR Rockwood Roo 23IKSS

Old 05-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #7812

Home refrigerator bit the dust last night, thank goodness the RV fridge is there to take the overflow of stuff that wouldn't fit into the basement refrigerator.

I bought new red and black leads to complete what the dealer didn't do right when hooking up my batteries in parallel. Replacement inverter should arrive today and I will install it this weekend.

Nights Camped 2016 27

Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #7813

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Does the electric really heat the tank faster? I figured it would maintain a good temp but propane would hear it quicker, in any event looks like you averted a really bad problem and tragedy so good thing 😳
I've always heard the combination of electric + propane makes it recover quicker. I've never actually timed it.

We usually run the water heater on electric only, just to save the tiny bit of propane.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #7814
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Finally had my skylight replaced. I measured the new one a little small...
Now you can make other repairs like a pro.

BTW, your old stab jacks are installed and working like a champ on Bob Caldwell's Rockwood. Thanks again Doug. Maybe Bob will post some pictures.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #7815

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Does the electric really heat the tank faster? I figured it would maintain a good temp but propane would hear it quicker, in any event looks like you averted a really bad problem and tragedy so good thing ��
Yes the tank will recover faster on electric AND propane.
During the time there is demand for heating the tank, if both the electric element and the propane burner is operating, it will heat (recover) much quicker than using just one or the other.

In the real world, a lot of things will factor into the recovery time such as inlet water temperature and amount of water used so it will never act like an 'on demand' water heater but it certainly does a better job using both sources than with one only.

EDIT: If you don't use a LOT of hot water, it really doesn't matter which source you use. It becomes personal choice at that point as either will get you the same static amount of hot water.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #7816
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yes the tank will recover faster on electric AND propane.
During the time there is demand for heating the tank, if both the electric element and the propane burner is operating, it will heat (recover) much quicker than using just one or the other.

In the real world, a lot of things will factor into the recovery time such as inlet water temperature and amount of water used so it will never act like an 'on demand' water heater but it certainly does a better job using both sources than with one only.
Agree 100%, we always run both electric & propane and never run out of hot water. I also replaced both high limit switches with 142D switches which also helps reduce the amount of hot water you use.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #7817

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Now you can make other repairs like a pro.

BTW, your old stab jacks are installed and working like a champ on Bob Caldwell's Rockwood. Thanks again Doug. Maybe Bob will post some pictures.

Oh, don't let me misrepresent things. I didn't do it. I let a mobile tech deal with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1464277875.701962.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	109074

Me personally? Oh, I just fell off of the top of his ladder onto the roof. Didn't make that transition over the top real gracefully...
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:14 PM   #7818
Don't Camp Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Ouch. That's 110v. You're lucky it didn't go up in smoke.
X2
I think you are fortunate that was all the damage.

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #7819

Quote:
I've always heard the combination of electric + propane makes it recover quicker. I've never actually timed it.

We usually run the water heater on electric only, just to save the tiny bit of propane.
I don't time it, but with 3 people taking showers, have not run out of hot water yet. That's using gas/elec.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #7820

Finely finished installing the brackets and rails for the BD3 fifth wheel hitch on our new to us pulling machine. Got the hitch set in place, just waiting for all these storms to pass us by so we can be "on the road again" maybe Tuesday.

Tags
camper