Old 08-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #8671

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoodrg View Post
If you run your AC a large percentage of the day for extended stays (more than a day or two) and you are in an environment with high humidity, be sure to peel that back and check it for trapped moisture. Ours was sealed just like that and we kept hearing a tapping noise at night. Turned out that humidity with no where to go was trapped up there in the ceiling and condensing on the duct work and then dripping down onto the ceiling panels and pooling in the ceiling. It was actually starting to rot the wood backing on the ceiling panels. Not good. I actually checked with a local independent RV technician and he confirmed that he does not advise people seal that gap due to condensation issues. We live in South Louisiana so our humidity is oppressively god awful, so your area may not be bad enough to exhibit these issues but for anyone thinking of doing the same, be careful to check back! We had to remove all of the metal tape from the vents in our unit and everything dried up properly.
Thanks for the tip. We don't have LA humidity, but VA humidity is pretty dang awful.

Do you have metal ducts or the foam ducts like I do? My boss' 5er has metal ducts and he's always told me he's afraid of them condensing. His came sealed. I showed him my picture today and he said his came taped up like that new.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #8672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoodrg View Post
If you run your AC a large percentage of the day for extended stays (more than a day or two) and you are in an environment with high humidity, be sure to peel that back and check it for trapped moisture. Ours was sealed just like that and we kept hearing a tapping noise at night. Turned out that humidity with no where to go was trapped up there in the ceiling and condensing on the duct work and then dripping down onto the ceiling panels and pooling in the ceiling. It was actually starting to rot the wood backing on the ceiling panels. Not good. I actually checked with a local independent RV technician and he confirmed that he does not advise people seal that gap due to condensation issues. We live in South Louisiana so our humidity is oppressively god awful, so your area may not be bad enough to exhibit these issues but for anyone thinking of doing the same, be careful to check back! We had to remove all of the metal tape from the vents in our unit and everything dried up properly.
Good tip! Thanks for the info.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Old 08-26-2016, 06:59 AM   #8673

DH is taking camper to the shop today to get new shoes put on her since a bubble showed up on one of them.
NC
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:26 AM   #8674

Received my new Hughes Autoformer booster/surge protector.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #8675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinn View Post
DH is taking camper to the shop today to get new shoes put on her since a bubble showed up on one of them.
And he just called saying that Snider Fleet Services put the new tires on for free, since it had been less than 6 months for the other tires. Very happy with that
NC
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #8676
Failure is my business

Busy day

Started out by determining that the reason the shower drain burps when you drain the kitchen sink quickly is that the 832IKBS uses the grey tank vertical vent stack to drain the kitchen sink. They used a sweep 90 with an internal baffle that takes up over half the vent pipe area for the sink drain. Nothing leaking, but it's kinda weird. Guess we just have to try to drain the sink more slowly.

Then I started working on the tires. Had a cut in one a few weeks ago and plugged it. The plugged tire became the emergency spare and we were running on the spare wheel and tire combo.

I had ordered a new ( E-rated rather than D) tire and it arrived last week. So, I removed the spare tire from the trailer, popped the OEM tire off of it and installed the new replacement tire on it. Then I popped the plugged tire off the aluminum pretty rim and put the tire from the OEM spare on it so I'd be riding on 4 matching tires. (FWIW I have done nearly all my own tires for the last 10 years with a Harbor Freight manual unit. (Generally use dynabeads for balance.))

While I was in there I read the manual for the axles and greased the EZ grease units as directed. (That is a great system.) Of course, I ran out of grease on the third bearing set, so I went to the parts store for some more grease. While I was there I picked up a dedicated breaker bar and TWO deep sockets for the trailer.

I picked up TWO sockets as the lugs on the axles are 3/4" while the lug on the spare tire carrier is 13/16". Luckily, the crappy cross wrench I had in the trailer had both sizes when we had the flat.

While I was greasing the bearings, I noticed that one of the brakes was not adjusted the same as the other three so I got out the drum brake tool and tweaked it until it is now the same as the rest.

Only thing left to do is get the new tireminder set up. Probably wait until tomorrow as it's getting hot.
Current vehicle list: 16 Flagstaff 832IKBS, 14 RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi 3.92 Bilsteins!, 04 Dodge Ram SRT-10 40,000 miles, 97 F150 4x4 5.4L 249,000 miles, 80 Firebird Esprit Aussie Burnout Car https://youtu.be/v06VjII7HmE, 78 Harley Davidson FX 79,000 miles dad bought new, 71 El Camino ZZ3 TH400 12-Bolt, 37 Ford 3 window 502 Chevy dad built
Days Camped: 2016: 43, 2017: 44
2Evil4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #8677
Mod free 5er

2Evil4U, you have been a busy little beaver.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #8678

Installed the new Mor-Ride cord reel and changed the bulbs in the scare lights to LED. Why they weren't LEDs to begin with baffles me.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:17 AM   #8679

The wife and I installed a new DreamAire RV Short King bed in the bedroom replacing the factory mattress. We were getting tire of sleeping in a groove that was created in the old mattress when you slept on it.

Also replaced the control switch for the hydraulic landing gear. I would like to thank both FR and my dealer for all of their help in resolving this issue. Oh, sorry, I forgot that both FR and my dealer were no help as they would not even respond to my phone calls and emails where I requested help in locating the correct switch. So I found one myself.

Freddie & Linda
2015 Forest River Sierra 330RLS
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins Diesel
Days camped for 2016 - 46
Days Planned for 2017 - 128
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #8680

For got to put it in here yesterday evening but how ever I did get my new motor in for my electric tongue jack on the camper. And it works again. This one will stay covered up. Even though when I took the other one apart it did not appear to be water damage.

1014 1500 GMC
2015 solaire 267bhsk

Tags
camper