Old 06-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #971

Aw shucks, I was just wondering about the billowing of the fabric. We haven't used our awning much in the 3 years we've had this TT. I've followed all the posts on those famous poles! Now, I'm looking at a new converter. boo hoo hoo

Nights camped 2016 = 25!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #972
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Aw shucks, I was just wondering about the billowing of the fabric. We haven't used our awning much in the 3 years we've had this TT. I've followed all the posts on those famous poles! Now, I'm looking at a new converter. boo hoo hoo
So you have a $1000 option that is just sitting on the camper and not used? Break out the PayPal account and I can fix you right up.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #973

I wouldn't charge you, you're my friend!
Nights camped 2016 = 25!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #974
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If you get the garage door track with the angle riveted on it, you have to take the track off and put the angle down so the rounded part of the track is down so you can screw the angle down to the floor. You would have to use carriage bolts to attach the angle so the bolt heads don't interfere with the rollers. You also have to be able to anchor the rollers so they don't tip. If you can anchor the rollers to the plywood, you should be able to do it. I welded the track and made the frame out of 1-1/2" x 1/8" angle and welded everything. Here are pictures of Glenn Jurcyzk's rack.

Ahah, I was wondering....

but I see Glenn's 5er has different sized access doors on his pass thru storage also.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #975
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Ahah, I was wondering... but I see Glenn's 5er has different sized access doors on his pass thru storage also.
His big door on the driver side is the same as mine are on both sides. His curb side door is small because his furnace is there.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Alright, that takes care of the flapping but wind will still get under the awning and make it bounce up/down some won't it?

Somebody help me here explain my question better.

The awning is prevented from moving up and down because the awning tube itself is "locked" to the ground by the support poles (stopping it from going down) and then the straps to dog tie downs (stopping it from going up). That eliminates a majority of movement (and truly 99% of the danger of wind and power awnings- the ability for it to use the awning as a big sail to overpower the flimsy arms).

The fabric itself does have some movement in it - just whatever minor slack there is between the roller and camper. It really was not noticeable until we were in winds at or above 20mph. Even that, it just flopped about. At 30+ mph it sounded bad and I worried, but by then- it was out and we jus rode it out until there was a lull in the wind.

The deflappers would have stopped some but not all of the movement, I'm betting. I debated taking a long rope and running it long ways with the awning to tie downs. But after it came through that storm so well, I'm not sure if I feel like I need it.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #977

I will say- not using Coot's self-storing mounts made it impossible to retract the awning during high winds (i.e. the middle of the storm). I didn't want the awning unprotected while we were retracting it.

If I had the poles self-storing, I could have had my wife and I each at a pole with my daughter running the switch (or for those folks who have done f1000Turbo's remote mod- used that). The problem for us, the camper/awning is too tall once it is in to take the poles down.

And yes, I hear OldCoot muttering- there's no reason that I haven't installed them to be self-storing. I had a problem that is easily solved (the pole hung over one of my storage hatch doors), I just haven't done it yet. Maybe next week...
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #978

Whew, I'm glad that's done!
Nights camped 2016 = 25!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #979
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
...The deflappers would have stopped some but not all of the movement, I'm betting. I debated taking a long rope and running it long ways with the awning to tie downs. But after it came through that storm so well, I'm not sure if I feel like I need it.
I used US Air Force 550 cord from arm to arm in FL until I got the de-flappers modified. The cord worked great. All you need is to control the ends.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #980
CANADA FROG RALLY 2017

Just assembled my king pin stabilizer. Got a great deal but is it much use on a Reese Sidewinder hitch with the pivot point on the chassis. Anyone using one?

Sent from my Z30 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper