Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #6221

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Is that regular household tile and what did you use to secure it and I assume regular grout?, I like that backsplash mod

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
It is probably "smart tile" it is a self adhesive tile sheeting. It can be had at the Lowes, HD and such.

doc73 you are correct. wicked1, due to the fact that the kitchen is in the big slide (heavy enough as is), I felt I couldn't go with a "real" tile......too heavy!

Time will tell (whether they stay stuck) but, while DW was shopping for the "tile" a contractor told her to heat the sheets and wall with a hair dryer to promote adhesion. Also, make sure the surface is completely clean. I used mineral spirits to clean the wall.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:03 PM   #6222

[QUOTE=ependydad;1099070]Do you happen to have a link or picture of this tool?

Something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008VV...IL&ref=plSrch#
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #6223
Always Learning

What did you do to your camper today?

Thanks. On my way to HD now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455071391.550691.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	99297
Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #6224
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thanks. On my way to HD now.

Attachment 99297
Good luck on the repair. At least plastic can't weld itself to the metal threads. With some finesse that tool should back it right out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #6225
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Good luck on the repair. At least plastic can't weld itself to the metal threads. With some finesse that tool should back it right out.

"Finesse." I'm screwed.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #6226

This wasn't today but the other day, I have been out doing a pre-camping season checking on things; taking loose the access panels and looking to see if anything has broke, etc.. I opened a cabinet over the couch and started rearranging the junk up there. Opened the cabinet above the sink and started to wonder, do we need all these bowls? After a season or two, starting to thin out the stuff I thought we would need four years ago. It has a way of accumulating.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #6227
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Linda View Post
This wasn't today but the other day, I have been out doing a pre-camping season checking on things; taking loose the access panels and looking to see if anything has broke, etc.. I opened a cabinet over the couch and started rearranging the junk up there. Opened the cabinet above the sink and started to wonder, do we need all these bowls? After a season or two, starting to thin out the stuff I thought we would need four years ago. It has a way of accumulating.
I've found about once every other year I need to go through and cull the heard of unused junk build up.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #6228
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Take broken piece with you for size

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:56 PM   #6229

Quote:
Not for me. That bad boy has a lot of usable life left. I check it fairly regularly and it's pretty slow to be eaten away.

Here's the chart from Suburban's manual on life/usage:

Attachment 99289
Yeah, I'd say you're only down about 40%.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:35 PM   #6230

Ependy do a Google on broken plastic fitting removal tool. On my phone and can't copy and paste
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:47 PM   #6231

Quote:
"Finesse." I'm screwed.
Good one!
Air Lift AirCells, Blue Ox BX1500
rogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:33 PM   #6232
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
Ependy do a Google on broken plastic fitting removal tool. On my phone and can't copy and paste

That looks legit. The tool that I bought didn't help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455078682.785310.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	99302
Old 02-10-2016, 11:20 AM   #6233
Always Learning

It's gotten worse- I had some helpers this morning. It looks like the plastic check valve seemingly fused/melted itself to the inside of the water heater's inlet threads.

I have no idea what's next. I think I'm going to try pulling the water heater out and then etching away at the threads. Then either get a tap or something with the same threads and see if I can clean it out bit by bit.

The real problem is that I really don't have time today for this. Dammit.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #6234
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Ream out most of the plastic first. Then use a1/2" pipe tap to clean the remaining plastic out of the threads.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #6235
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Drill bit index?.....you need one....or, If your carefull, can be done with Dremel
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:56 PM   #6236

Quote:
Well brown chicken brown cow me with a pickle.
I'm very sorry about the situation, and if you were close we would get that out in 20 minutes, but I've got to say this made me laugh!

Quote:
It's gotten worse- I had some helpers this morning. It looks like the plastic check valve seemingly fused/melted itself to the inside of the water heater's inlet threads.

I have no idea what's next. I think I'm going to try pulling the water heater out and then etching away at the threads. Then either get a tap or something with the same threads and see if I can clean it out bit by bit.

The real problem is that I really don't have time today for this. Dammit.
Easy peasy. Use a hacksaw blade (Or whatever fine tooth blade will fit inside it.) and very carefully cut slits in the plastic from the inside out. The moment you feel metal, stop. You can tell the difference easily, if you stop quick enough you won't leave a mark on the metal.

Cut four slits in a + pattern. Once that's done you can use a flat blade screwdriver to push the pieces inward, then pull the pieces out with a pair of pliers. If you were careful enough the threads won't be damaged, then use pipe tape on the valve to reinstall.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #6237
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
I'm very sorry about the situation, and if you were close we would get that out in 20 minutes, but I've got to say this made me laugh!
I actually laughed pretty hard when I thought of it. Glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Easy peasy. Use a hacksaw blade (Or whatever fine tooth blade will fit inside it.) and very carefully cut slits in the plastic from the inside out. The moment you feel metal, stop. You can tell the difference easily, if you stop quick enough you won't leave a mark on the metal.

Cut four slits in a + pattern. Once that's done you can use a flat blade screwdriver to push the pieces inward, then pull the pieces out with a pair of pliers. If you were careful enough the threads won't be damaged, then use pipe tape on the valve to reinstall.

It looks like I'm not alone in this or that recommendation.

https://www.heartlandowners.org/show...-removal-BROKE

I'll start to stab wildly at it in a bit. I need to find a tap to clean up the threads.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #6238

Quote:
It looks like I'm not alone in this or that recommendation.

https://www.heartlandowners.org/show...-removal-BROKE

I'll start to stab wildly at it in a bit. I need to find a tap to clean up the threads.
It works surprisingly well. I used the same technique on the heater hose connector of dozens, maybe hundreds of GM trucks.

Having a tap isn't a bad idea, but don't open it. You might get it out clean, run your finger along the threads, if you don't feel any marks on the threads, then you don't need to tap it and can return the tool.

Also, once it's back together leave the anode out and run some water through the heater tank to rinse any debris out.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #6239
Always Learning

Quote:
It works surprisingly well. I used the same technique on the heater hose connector of dozens, maybe hundreds of GM trucks.

Having a tap isn't a bad idea, but don't open it. You might get it out clean, run your finger along the threads, if you don't feel any marks on the threads, then you don't need to tap it and can return the tool.

Also, once it's back together leave the anode out and run some water through the heater tank to rinse any debris out.
Sounds good. A friend came over with torch in hand ready to melt it out of there. I'll give this a shot before that.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #6240
Always Learning

Quote:
Sounds good. A friend came over with torch in hand ready to melt it out of there. I'll give this a shot before that.

Today, there were many men in my basement- real deep in there!

I wasn't the one who tried it, but supposedly the hacksaw idea didn't work. He ended up using a mini torch and scraped the melted portions out.

He got about 1/2-way through before we finally boned up and just removed the water heater from the camper to work on it. I was pretty surprised at how not terribly difficult that was. The worst part was that this was one of the few times that Sabre cut a proper sized hole- actually surprising snug.

I continued from there and another guy brought down his "little prick" as he called it (looked like a dental tool with a hooked end). I was able to clean the threads out pretty well with it. We got the new one ran back in pretty well. Taped it up and no leaks.

We got it all back together and double checked each fitting and checked the propane for leaks. All is well and I have hot water again.

This truly was a village effort. I had 2 different guys around this morning and then 3 more guys who came around this afternoon. Everyone jumped in and just helped do stuff.

Tags
camper