Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #1981
RKR

Installed new microwave yesterday. Going to install my Progressive Dynamics converter today after work.

Sent from my high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #1982
MagnusGto

Both ends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I can tell you how I did it. Run the awning out about 6", remove the awning bracket(this includes the 1/4" bolt holding the torsion bar end in the arm, standing on a ladder in front of the arm and with leather gloves on, very carefully lift the awning tube while maintaining a FIRM, SECURE GRIP on the torsion spring bracket and lift the bracket out of the arm (the arm will kick out, so be prepared, it's not violent, but it did startle me. Turn the torsion bracket one more turn to put more tension on it and re-insert in in the arm, re-install the awning pole bracket and bolts and you're thru. Takes about 10 minutes start to finish. DO NOT ATTEMPT to do this with the awning fully deployed! Deploy the awning only enough to be able to lift the torsion bracket up out of the arm. 6" is enough.
Is there a spring at both ends or just where the motor is? I need to do this as well. Thanks in advance.
magnusgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #1983

Yesturday evening;
Under our kitchen slide by the center jack stablizer where all the wires and gas line are located they have always hung way down low towards the ground so I looked at it to see if I could fix that. At the looks of it the factory or dealer tried to strap the gas line and electrical up but only they rigged it and not a good rigging at all and the gas line was kinking. I was able to remove the tie straps and mount all the electrical and gas line up properly with no more kinks in the gas line. It looks alot better now and you can't even see the lines hanging there anymore.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #1984
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusgto View Post
Is there a spring at both ends or just where the motor is? I need to do this as well. Thanks in advance.
Torsion spring is only on the left hand side (facing the awning). No spring on the motor end.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I also carry 2 spare motors and 2 spare torsion springs just in case one shoots craps while we're in Florida.
Wow, are the motors and springs that subject to failure?
If so, where is the best place to get them?

How would you retract the awning in the event of a failure of either?
Old 10-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #1986
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Wow, are the motors and springs that subject to failure?
If so, where is the best place to get them?

How would you retract the awning in the event of a failure of either?
Not that prone to failure, but when you see a good deal on eBay/FRF, you pounce on it. LOL
If the motor fails when deployed, just drill the rivets and replace it. About 15 minutes if you have the tools, which I do. If the torsion spring fails, retract the awning and replace it.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #1987
RKR

In the last 4 days I've installed a new microwave, Progressive hard wired EMS , and a new Progressive Dynamics converter today after work.
Tomorrow I'll blow out my water lines and prep it for winter. Give it a bath Saturday morning then put it in the barn for winter. Had to cut the camping season short this year.
Not happy about it but the DW has us pretty busy the next couple months. It'll will be good to know that it'll be ready to rock and roll next season.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #1988

It isn't exactly my TT and it took a couple of weeks but I just finished sprucing up our TV. When we decided to buy a TT we also decided to keep our 2001 Explorer for a few more years. Like many the plastic trim and running boards were starting to look pretty raggedy so I got some Krylon Fusion, pulled all the trim and bumper covers and painted it all. For the running board pads I used truck bedliner. I need to let things finish curing before I can clean it all up but should get to that next week sometime.

Before:

After:

And a full side view:

keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #1989

Very nice job!
FreddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #1990

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
It isn't exactly my TT and it took a couple of weeks but I just finished sprucing up our TV. When we decided to buy a TT we also decided to keep our 2001 Explorer for a few more years. Like many the plastic trim and running boards were starting to look pretty raggedy so I got some Krylon Fusion, pulled all the trim and bumper covers and painted it all. For the running board pads I used truck bedliner. I need to let things finish curing before I can clean it all up but should get to that next week sometime.

Before:

After:

And a full side view:

Who would have thought, that looks great, nice job, do you think it will hold up?...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #1991

Looks like a whole new truck! Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
Very nice job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Who would have thought, that looks great, nice job, do you think it will hold up?...
Thank you.

As far as holding up only time will tell. The Krylon Fusion paint is designed to adhere to plastic and did apply well. A number of folks on an Explorer forum I follow have used the same paint over the years without complaint so I think it will hold up. The only area I feel there might be a problem is with the running boards as the old paint was pretty beat up where rocks have hit over the years. The advantage is if I do need to touch up occasionally the paint is off the shelf and can be found at any Walmart.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #1993
Mod free 5er

Got 4 of the 8 day/nite shades replaced with venetian blinds, finished the awning pole attaching kits finished and TOWTA got the kits all bagged and ready to put in the USPS Priority boxes when they get here.

Hopefully will get the last 4 shades replaced tomorrow and then have to start putting hooks & extension cords on the outside of the back porch for granddaughters rehearsal dinner we are hosting a week from tomorrow. Going to be busy next week with several trips to the airport, etc.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #1994

Got the framework for the fresh water tank out, got the tank fully drained finally, then the big hammers came out and I straightened the frame, pounded the creases out of the angle iron, fitted the new angle iron I'm going to weld in to reenforce it. I was going to redesign the frame, but after looking at the area I have a lot of room where I can put a larger tank in there, maybe 10-15 gallons bigger even, so I'm going to leave the design alone for now.

Also, I figured out why these things "Siphon" like they tend to do. First, the vent is in the side of the tank, not the top. So once you fill it up whatever water got in above the vent line is running back out. Second, and the real reason this happens, the top of the tank is actually concaved under it's own weight. You fill it up until water runs out of the vent, the top of the tank pushes up allowing water to fill that space, you remove the fill hose and the top of the tank will relax pushing out the water that lifted the top of the tank up. The tank is flimsy and moves at will so that happens easily.

By tomorrow afternoon I'll be filling the tank to see what happens, I might toss a thread up with what I do to it.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #1995
RKR

Short season for us but we'll make up for it next year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1412441338.234376.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	763.5 KB
ID:	64110

Old 10-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #1996
Who Dares, Wins

Wow that looks tight!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #1997
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Wow that looks tight!

It's not bad. I just hug the drivers side to be able to open the door. I have plenty of room to back in. Can't beat the price for fully enclosed and power.
I'll be building my own storage here at the house this winter.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #1998
Mod free 5er

Got all the day/nite shades changed out for venetian blinds.

I now have the following day/nite shades to give away to anyone willing to pay shipping. None are damaged or dirty.

1) 50" wide x 38" long
1) 38" wide x 32" long
2) 38" wide x 24" long
1) 38" wide x 17" long
2) 20" wide x 20" long

First come first served.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #1999

Took it camping

Rookie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #2000

Towed the trailer down to Big Bend NP, west Texas.
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper