Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #4621

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I don't think you will regret it, even tho' it is a hassle to dismount them and go thru all the trouble again.
How did you go about getting all the wheels off and re-balanced ?
Did you remove one at a time yourself, and either get them balanced individually by a tire place or have equipment to balance them yourself ?
Or did you have equipment to jack your entire 5th to take all wheels off at the same time and get them all balanced together ?
Old 08-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #4622

Installed the Fantastic exhaust fan upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2014 Flagstaff 831RKBSS
2001 Suburban 2500/6.0
1999 Chevy 2500/6.0
mike618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #4623

Found the source of the slow leak in the back left tire. Puncture in the tread. Dismounted the tire, took it in for repair. The tech says they TRIED to repair it, but the rubber on the inside of the cheap brand tire was so thin they couldn't buff it enough to attach the rubber seal.

Ended up with a new Carlisle. I'll replace the rest next year, make this one the spare.
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #4624
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Found the source of the slow leak in the back left tire. Puncture in the tread. Dismounted the tire, took it in for repair. The tech says they TRIED to repair it, but the rubber on the inside of the cheap brand tire was so thin they couldn't buff it enough to attach the rubber seal.

Ended up with a new Carlisle. I'll replace the rest next year, make this one the spare.
Darn!
Hope your trip is a great time!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #4625

[QUOTE=TURBS;952067]Darn!
Hope your trip is a great time!/QUOTE]

You and me both, Turbs! Time to start loading!
Old 08-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #4626

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Did you remove one at a time yourself, and either get them balanced individually by a tire place or have equipment to balance them yourself ?
Or did you have equipment to jack your entire 5th to take all wheels off at the same time and get them all balanced together ?
I can't speak for OC but my plan is to use my Anderson Rapid Jack to get one tire off the ground, take that tire off and replace it with the spare then use the Rapid Jack to get the other tire on the same side off the ground and take it off and take them both to have the valve stems replaced and balanced, reverse the process to put them back on and then do the same thing to the other side.

I'm sure OC has a more convienent way but I'm going to work with what I have.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #4627
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
I jacked the 5er up and took all 5 to Gmax at one time. I have more than enough jack stands to do the job.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #4628
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat56 View Post
I can't speak for OC but my plan is to use my Anderson Rapid Jack to get one tire off the ground, take that tire off and replace it with the spare then use the Rapid Jack to get the other tire on the same side off the ground and take it off and take them both to have the valve stems replaced and balanced, reverse the process to put them back on and then do the same thing to the other side.

I'm sure OC has a more convienent way but I'm going to work with what I have.
That's what I would do if I didn't have the equipment to take all 4 off at the same time.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #4629
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Don't you have a hole to dig?
Naw, the Cabarrus sheriff's office already has the wrecker on standby to haul your Dodge to the local ditch fill facility. They should be here around 4pm tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #4630
Always Learning

Quote:

That's how I did my 4 when I bought new tires 2 years ago. Only I used a floor jack vs. the Anderson.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #4631

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That's how I did my 4 when I bought new tires 2 years ago. Only I used a floor jack vs. the Anderson.
What's the latest on your tire dilemma?
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #4632

Quote:
I wonder how tall that Anderson Rapid Jack is. I tried this very trick using my 4" tall Andersen Leveler, and that wasn't tall enough to get my rear tire off. I ended up using both sets of Lync Levelers and building a ramp 5 blocks high to get the clearance I needed.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #4633

Today my Turbs Poles arrived, and I mounted them up to my OC Awning Brackets! Did a couple minor repairs, and started the loading for the big trip.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #4634
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
What's the latest on your tire dilemma?
Flat tire on Tuesday. Right now, I'm sitting on the spare + existing tire on that side. We're parked until sometime next week.

Because I'm so close to capacity on 3 tires and actually over on 1, I'm getting nutty and swapping out wheels + tires entirely. I'm going to go with 17.5" commercial wheels + LR H tires. I'll have something like 4,700 pounds of capacity (vs. the 3,420 I have right now). I'll be well covered for my load.

I am also going to have my springs replaced on the camper. And am exploring having shocks installed.

I'm not sure if the shop who does the springs will replace the wheels (and who provides me the wheels/tires) or if I'll do it on my own. If I do it on my own, it'll be done with Lynx blocks and wood for a ramp and if I need any extra, with my truck's jack.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #4635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
I wonder how tall that Anderson Rapid Jack is. I tried this very trick using my 4" tall Andersen Leveler, and that wasn't tall enough to get my rear tire off. I ended up using both sets of Lync Levelers and building a ramp 5 blocks high to get the clearance I needed.
The box says it has a 5.75" lift.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #4636

Quote:
Flat tire on Tuesday. Right now, I'm sitting on the spare + existing tire on that side. We're parked until sometime next week.

Because I'm so close to capacity on 3 tires and actually over on 1, I'm getting nutty and swapping out wheels + tires entirely. I'm going to go with 17.5" commercial wheels + LR H tires. I'll have something like 4,700 pounds of capacity (vs. the 3,420 I have right now). I'll be well covered for my load.

I am also going to have my springs replaced on the camper. And am exploring having shocks installed.

I'm not sure if the shop who does the springs will replace the wheels (and who provides me the wheels/tires) or if I'll do it on my own. If I do it on my own, it'll be done with Lynx blocks and wood for a ramp and if I need any extra, with my truck's jack.
I remember reading your prior post(s) about what you have going on. But maybe I didn't understand, is your 5w "underbuilt" or are you trying to gain capacity?

Don't go into too much detail or you'll lose me.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #4637
Site Team

Went over the damage with insurance adjuster. He knew so little about RVs (by his own admission) that he gave me an open estimate of $1.00. Doesn't matter. Owner of the offending golf cart wasn't insured anyway.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #4638
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I remember reading your prior post(s) about what you have going on. But maybe I didn't understand, is your 5w "underbuilt" or are you trying to gain capacity?

Don't go into too much detail or you'll lose me.

The tires are under sized for the axles. By 160 pounds per axle.

The springs have flattened and did so before this year+ long trip; I think they're undersized for the camper.

And I'm running heavy now. I know I can't gain capacity, but I'm trying to gain some breathing room for the maximums that I'm hitting. The tires are the most likely to break due to being at and over capacity, so they're my highest priority.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #4639
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
The tires are under sized for the axles. By 160 pounds per axle.

The springs have flattened and did so before this year+ long trip; I think they're undersized for the camper.

And I'm running heavy now. I know I can't gain capacity, but I'm trying to gain some breathing room for the maximums that I'm hitting. The tires are the most likely to break due to being at and over capacity, so they're my highest priority.
Do you have a thread started with this adventure of building up your suspension? I'd like to see how it all works out. Post up them part numbers when you get it all ordered or figured out.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #4640
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Do you have a thread started with this adventure of building up your suspension? I'd like to see how it all works out. Post up them part numbers when you get it all ordered or figured out.

I have at least 2 going with different symptoms but I think the end result is the same issue (flattened springs).

Here's where I'll keep updating:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eas-88233.html

Tags
camper