Old 09-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #21

As a general rule, and I say this with almost 40 years of RVing, is that anything with a "light weight" connotation is going to mean lesser quality materials and less of them. We have owned both and they each have a purpose. It's when you try to use a light weight RV for purposes it wasn't designed for ( back country travel, long gravel road trips etc) that you realize the old "you get what you pay for adage. IMHO tge best time spent us thinking through what you are going to use your RV for short and long term and purchase accordingly.

2013 22 nights.2014 57 nights.2015 116 nights +14300KM
2016. 96 nights
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmo15 View Post
I would never call someone's camper low end. If it makes them happy that's all that matters..
I hope I didn't offend anyone. I was just curious if there was a standard understanding of which models were considered better.

I'm sure my grey wolf would be considered low end. It was in our price point, was the layout we wanted, weight worked without have to buy a new TV, and most importantly my wife and I agreed on this one.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantonburg View Post
and most importantly my wife and I agreed on this one.
And that's the most important thing
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #24

Low end

Their is no way to answer that without offending someone. What someone loves will be considered junk by others.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #25

Weather you have a half million dollar coach or you sleep in the back of a pick up truck I think we all have one thing in common. We love being out doors by a lake, in the mountains, or at the beach. The people at the camp ground are the best people any where.

2014 Georgetown 351ds
Darmo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #26

Is it really that difficult?

Quote:
I hope I didn't offend anyone. I was just curious if there was a standard understanding of which models were considered better.

I'm sure my grey wolf would be considered low end. It was in our price point, was the layout we wanted, weight worked without have to buy a new TV, and most importantly my wife and I agreed on this one.
Go to the manufacturer's website. Very often they will categorize their own trailers. I've never seen any web site that categorizes them "low end" up to "high end" but I have seen them use the terms "entry level" and "premium". My last two trailers have been Cardinals. Supposedly it is (or perhaps now was) the top end of the Forest River line up. But I am absolutely convinced that once you strip away the siding and the interior walls, you'll see the same poor quality workmanship that exists in nearly every other trailer out there. Screws that aren't screwed in or are stripped, brackets that are mis-aligned or missing screws, holes punched through cheap veneer instead of drilled, and on and on and on. The quality differences may be found in the grade of appliances, the mattresses, the plumbing fixtures, the quality of the cabinetry, whether the doors are radiused or not, the light fixtures, what type of roofing material is used, whether the flooring and roof underlayment are OSB or CDX.

I doubt if any of these replies were meant to be elitist. If those terms offend somebody, then it's their problem. Gee whiz, Because "words hurt" we've gone from crippled to handicapped to disabled to physically challenged. A rose by any other name, ya know?
Old 09-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #27

Footnote

Quote:
After reading the now closed "FR no more" thread I saw several mention a low end TT.

Keeping in mind every manufacturer and series has their issues, but is there a consensus of what is low end vs. high end? This question only applies to FR trailers.

And what makes each category fall within that category?

Thanks for any input.
Footnote to my last post: Forest River used to classify their trailer levels using a modified matrix like Keystone's current line up but without the class designations, but that no longer is the case. Perhaps the most current example would be to go to the Keystone website and look. Their fifth wheels, for instance are listed running from "Standard", to "Select" to "Premium" to "Luxury".

It's sort of like purchasing meat. You have "select", then "choice" then "prime".
Old 09-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #28

I'm not sure I would use the term low end as to me that means comparing it to other trailers in the class/price range. Instead I would consider our trailer an entry level trailer that is about average when compared to other similar trailers. It is small and came with just the basic 2 burner cooktop and microwave. The cabinets look ok but portions are wrapped in fake wood vinyl. In a nutshell it is functional and a good trailer for learning about what we want in a future trailer and how things work. Something I would expect of an entry level anything.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #29

Hereís a general classification of the Forest River trailers. Top of the line is the new Riverstone followed by Cardinal and Cedar Creek. At the other end of the line are Wildwood, Salem, and Cherokee. Neither the Wildwood nor Salem has enclosed underbellies so I consider those to be basically summer campers. Everything else is mid-line with emphasis on looking like they are upscale trailers.

Thatís my opinion so feel free to disagree. Keep in mind that I am only considering Forest River trailers and not those of Forest Riverís subsidiaries (Coachmen, Palomino, Prime Time, or Shasta).

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #30
Boondocking Only

Very subjective question. People have different things they have as priority when deciding what to get.