Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #41

We found the coachman Catalina SBX 29qbs line at a local show. It supposedely has the quality construction of the flooring,finishes,full stove and oven as the normal Catalina but built for a lower price point. It did not come with extra amenities like a tv, power jacks, leather or others. Its great for the 4 of us, perfect floor plan and so far only one minor problem with 15 nights under the belt.
They made this in my mind an entry level price point but not a entry level trailer.
txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:45 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Zornik View Post
We recently bought a 2006 Wildwood, stored in a barn and never pulled anywhere. Virtually new. Anyway, there is a membrane on the underside of the trailer. What do you consider to be enclosed?
One of the first FR brand trailer we bought was a Wildwood LE, FR no longer makes that model that I know of but it was stick (I Think) and metal siding and had an enclosed underbelly. I don't remember now but I think it was like a 2003 or 2004 year trailer. Had no slides and a double bed, refer, stove single sink and a tub to small to set in with a shower, and a dinette. That was it. Never had a lick of a problem with that trailer. I never thought of that as a low end trailer, It was what we could afford without going into hock and wanted to see if we really wanted to get into camping again. There is trailer out there for everyone and you buy for what want, need and can afford....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:06 PM   #43
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK001 View Post
I need advice to keep it leak free. Planning a garage asap.
If anyone has the foolproof answer to this question, they need to start working for the RV industry!
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:11 PM   #44
RetiredRVer

My Wildwood Heritage Glen has an enclosed underbelly, plus lots of other extra cost features. It depends how many options one orders....and there are lots of options available. Even on "low end" RV's!
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
Old 09-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
If anyone has the foolproof answer to this question, they need to start working for the RV industry!
Start your own shop, retire in 5 years and then sell out for a nice 10 figure sum.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:18 PM   #46
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Well our 315wp may or may not be low end,entry level,or "built to a price point" as the sales people like to say,but it has the same chassis,axles,hitches,furnaces,air cond,you get the drift as the "high end" Ceadar Creek like my BIL has that both endcaps must be replaced on,the glass fell out of the kitchen cab doors on second trip,Twice now I have had to dump the oil in the hyd levelers and rig my 2 bottle jacks under the lg just so he could load it on his truck. and he had to argue with FR over replaceing a converter that caught fire (really) on the first trip.The burnt piece of crap had to be returned to "FR"S testing labs before a replacement could be sent out,while he sat in tenn, and waited instead of going home.
So my low end,price point,entry level piece of cheap crap may be just that BUT its always came home with us on time and all systems go.
Maybe another good feature of haveing low end junk is that after a few years you can just scrap it and buy new,not have to deal with trades and so forth!
You tell-em, Trbomax! Loved your answer!!!
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
Old 09-12-2016, 05:08 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
One of the first FR brand trailer we bought was a Wildwood LE, FR no longer makes that model that I know of but it was stick (I Think) and metal siding and had an enclosed underbelly. I don't remember now but I think it was like a 2003 or 2004 year trailer. Had no slides and a double bed, refer, stove single sink and a tub to small to set in with a shower, and a dinette. That was it. Never had a lick of a problem with that trailer. I never thought of that as a low end trailer, It was what we could afford without going into hock and wanted to see if we really wanted to get into camping again. There is trailer out there for everyone and you buy for what want, need and can afford....
This was our exact situation. I mentioned somewhere above that we knew what we could spend, didn't want to change our TV so weight was a concern, and it was what we could agree on.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #48

Mrs Evans is right on the money. In most cases you get what you pay for. More money more whistles and bells too.
otisite2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
My Wildwood Heritage Glen has an enclosed underbelly, plus lots of other extra cost features. It depends how many options one orders....and there are lots of options available. Even on "low end" RV's!
Both the Heritage Glen and Hemisphere of the Wildwood and Salem lines are mid-range trailers and designed with a lot of eye candy to look high end.

It was not my intent to insult anyone, but if you think the materials and frame used in the construction of a higher end Cardinal and an entry level Cherokee are the same then you need to tour those plants. And yes, regardless of what you pay, you can get a real lemon.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #50

I have toured them both,onlyone day between tours.All the std running gear is the same,the frames are of course modle specific,but in the case of the cherokee toy haulers,are actually taller and wider in cross section than a regular 5er frame.I know this because my BIL and I measured them up,his is an inch less tall at the web and the flanges are 1/2" less.Filon is Filon.All made in the same plant by the same people with the same material no mater which branch of FR it goes to.Been to that plant too. TheFG wall insulation in the cherokee is identical to that uesed in the CK,I actually had my hands on it to compare.If a Cardinal is wood framed,then wood is wood.Its all const grade white what ever and the pieces are spliced and glued from shorts,just kile residential house trim. There are no "one piece full length studs" in any of the wood framed units.3/4" plywood floor is the same,the CC does have a layer of refletex on the bottom,and they are all fastened only to the frame outriggers on the edges.No screw or nail fastening to the floor joist because they do not want them to work up thru the flooring as the unit goes down the road.The flooring is fastened only at the edges,and not glued so that IF it has to be taken up later its just a cut around the cabinets deal.I think this covers the basics,the cabs are different,but most are wrapped,not finished in any of them.We know the appliances and mechanicals are the same because "there can be ony one!" (choice).Rubber roof material is all the same as is the osb (puke) decking under it.Moldings and single pane widows are the same mfg.Baggage doors are different quality in different builds.I'm tired of rambling about this,but the bottom line is that Ive been there and seen it,with not group tours but one on one tours arranged by an aquantince at FR.I know,my spelling sucks.

as an edit,allthe frame components I saw were stamed sheet metal,no structural iron anywhere. The main rails are the typical RV/House trailer I beam design,but are by no means std structural spec steel beams.They have ditched the old angle iron and re-bar crossmember design in favor of a much nicer stamped design. I did not have my digital calipers with me but they looked to be maybe 10 ga,which is what all the stamped angle is in most of them. I only saw the stamped crossmembers on the cherokee/XLT toy hauler line(which is the same for BP units).
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote