Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
It depends on how you are going to use it. Our first TT was a 23 footer. Loved it except for the limited floor space. Traded up for a fifth wheel.

A must: affordable, to be able to enjoy it.
A tow vehicle that can handle what you buy.

Recommend battery cut off switch or easy battery disconnect.
We love our fireplace, but live in the Midwest.
Storage and a floor plan you can live with.

If buying used get educated on what to look for before buying. Water damage can be unseen and very troublesome.

Flagstaff 8528 ckss fiver
2008 Ford f350 dually 4x4 desiel
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Mike574 View Post
For all Coachmen and non Coachmen owners, I have a few questions that I would be grateful if you could answer...

With regards to travel trailers--

*What features do you absolutely need to have?
*What features are nice to have?
*What features do you think are a waste?
*Outside of floor plan, what are your biggest considerations when looking at a new/used camper?
*What recommendations would you make regarding features, floor plan, construction, options, etc. ?

Any and all answer would be great!

Thank you!!!
1. Quality of build.

Most important AC / Furnace / Awing / Water / Bathroom / Towable

Nice to have Slides,...... nice to be able to haul toys.........big bathroom & bedroom

Going to start a war least important or waste/ TV / Sat. / internet

Again Quality of build is the biggest consideration / know couple of RV mechanics like their opinion on what to stay away from.... / new & used

Used quality of build / leak evidence / smells / mold etc./

Very important to fill needs of family ......we went bigger & TH to haul our golf car, bigger to take our grow children along & soon to be grandson......

We go to camp it is not our full time home so we go to get away from....TV, Cell Phone, Internet, Work, etc......... just go to fave fun & enjoy parts of the country that we have not yet been to, or just go to relax at the beach.........

Things do not have to match & not out to impress anyone.............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
This is a tough one, many of my “have to haves” are based on how I camp and with who I camp with. I need a camper small enough to fit in our driveway. This lets me maintain it whenever I want, use it as my extra pantry(run out of sugar, go to camper), get away for many (not so planned) weekends, never pay storage. I go camping to enjoy the outdoors so my campers insides are minimal-ish.
Must haves:
No carpet: I have rugs in several places but camping is inherently dirty and a solid floor is easily cleaned
A floor plan that works: I have seen several campers that had to have the slides extended out to get to the kitchen or bathroom. I love my kitchen and bathroom and want to be able to pull over and use them any time anywhere. We looked at one that was perfect with the slide out but then you had to climb over the kitchen counter when the slide was in(just could not do it)
Bunk beds: I have kids and this gives them their own space(closets, lights, DC outlets, shoe bin)
Comfortable Queen bed: have to keep the wife happy
Plenty of storage: when you get to where ever you’re going, you want to have everything you could possibly need. And campers get cluttered fast, if you don’t have a place for everything
BIG FRIDGE/FEEZER: I love to cook and we eat well
Stove top, counter space, double sink
Good gas BBQ: I also carry a wind guard, nothing slows down my cooking
At least 50gl of water, 40gl of grey tank and 25 for black tank,: this could get me through 5 days if I had to.
Adequate bathroom: I like clean and hate hate hate hoping the public bathroom will be OK.
two propane tanks
Two deep cycle batteries
Stabilizers on all four corners: I didn’t even know they were extra, should be a standard
Electric tongue jack
External propane hose connector: tired of those disposable propane canisters
Fantastic vent fans and covers: a pair of these gives good air flow and the covers never lets rain in
Extending sink faucet
LED lighting
Flush-out for black water tank: I don’t have one, I use a wand down the potty and a hydo-flush out side.
Propane/electric water heater: its nice to use electric when plugged in
Heater built in to AC unit: again nice to use electric when plugged in. I carry a small electric heater
Generator: this is only under likes because I don’t have one and I would “like” one
Slide outs: I chose not to have one for price, weight, maintenance and issues when parking by trees. When I go full time I’ll need the extra space to get away from the wife(kidding). I’d never have a slide on the front side of the camper or at least not close to the door, takes away from sun awning too
Don’t Need:
External shower: only ever used it at the beach
Double doors: several floor plans have a door in front and in back I just think this is a waist potential storage space.
Stove: I don’t bake on the road but I have thought about getting the microwave/convection-oven combo
Tv and satellite: if I had one I/we wouldn’t live outside as much but when I go full time I will have one
Well this is the short list, I think “needs” are really based on the life style you expect and your budget. One statement I read on another post really hit home, “buy your second camper first”. Be comfortable when you enjoying life and don’t just settle on what will get you by, if you can afford it.
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
Like stated above it all depends on how a person camps. I do a lot of boondock camping so an onboard genset was a must for me with my toy hauler and it has been great to have. And for my wife's safe a front bedroom for as small as a toy hauler we bought. So I got what I wanted and so did she and it has been great.
2012 Sandstorm 203slc
2013 Toyota Tundra
Eqil-l-izer hitch,Prodigy P3
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
For us, we want a trailer that is usable with the slide(s) in. Many salesmen have told to that with a push of button the slides go out.....yeah, that is true. But if we want to do lunch at a rest stop and have to put the slide out, then the tractor trailer next to us might just take it on the down the road for us.

I know that bathrooms at the back of a trailer are a convenient place to locate those. But if you have to travel with your black and grey water tanks full, that takes a lot of weight off of the tongue because the tanks have to set under the bathroom. A bathroom somewhere just ahead of the axles make sense, with the waste tanks below. Another plus to that is the dump line will be in front of the axles.....less likely to be taken out by an exploding tire, or dragging in a dip.

I don't like a cotton picking table right over the wheel wells.....that is just too darn uncomfortable.

A true queen bed.....not a camper queen.

We did not even consider travel trailers without the square "sewer hose" bumpers. Too many trailer manufacturers put design over function.

A place to put 2 batteries in front between the frame rails. Many campers have the propane tanks next to the trailer, with the battery box in front of that. It just makes sense to put the batteries next to the trailer in the widest part of the frame, with the propane tanks in front of those. The only problem with that is there may be WDH snap-up bracket clearance problems.

Other than the bed and lack of 2nd battery, our current trailer meets our wants.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
Thought of another must have: an over sized, over powered TV with great mirrors thats super comfy. (and a limitless gas card)
Campers are great but getting to where your going is half the battle, if you can relax and enjoy the ride there, your vacation can start when you hit the road. We live in a beatiful country and I enjoy every piece of it(well almost, city traffic bugs). White nuckling the steering wheel is terrible and "hoping" you'll make it there is stressfull. I say enjoy the view, glance at the truck's gauges every now and again; one hand on the wheel and the other on the dog or wife, who ever is closer.
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
Incheon, S. Korea
This is really interesting for a measly little pop-up owner like me! Has there ever been a thread about why you chose a big fifth-wheel trailer?
Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
Camper Less Camping
Space, Space and Space...

We use our campers anytime of the year, no matter the having room to stretch and hang out inside until outdoor weather allows us out is a big deal!

Anything that helps me do a task faster or easier is a desire when looking for features on a camper.
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
Happy owner SOB
2 recliners, a nice TV, a comfy bed and a place to plug in the blender!
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
This is really interesting for a measly little pop-up owner like me! Has there ever been a thread about why you chose a big fifth-wheel trailer?
Because we live in it from 6 to 8 weeks at a time when we travel the U.S.A. If all we did was camp on weekends we'd have a much smaller trailer.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote