Old 09-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #1

What is the best electric heater?

Keeping in mind I want to heat a 32' fifth wheel. I will be using it down to around 20 degrees, any colder I will probably park and winterize it. I will be running it off of shore power, not the generator or an inverter. I know my batteries would never hold up under the load of a heater. I will use the furnace as a back up if the heater can not keep up.

So what do you use and like about it?

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

We have used the EdenPure for 5 yrs and find it more than adequate. The cabinet does not get hot and it is also remote controlled. They are a little pricey tho'.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
Campfire Master

We use a digital Vornado. I set the temp on 67 and the trailer furnace on 64. Thats in case the Vornado can't keep up. The heater blows a high volume of air that doesn't get hot, just warm. It circulates real well. We camp in the fall all the time, with outside temps failing into the 20's. As best I can recall, the furnace has only kicked on a few times, the rest of the time, the Vornado did fine. Our fiver is 38'.

John
Old 09-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVid View Post
We use a digital Vornado. I set the temp on 67 and the trailer furnace on 64. Thats in case the Vornado can't keep up. The heater blows a high volume of air that doesn't get hot, just warm. It circulates real well. We camp in the fall all the time, with outside temps failing into the 20's. As best I can recall, the furnace has only kicked on a few times, the rest of the time, the Vornado did fine. Our fiver is 38'.

John
John,

I see quite a few different models and was wondering which one you use. I found this and think it would do what I want.

http://www.amazon.com/Vornado-Vortex...Vornado+heater

I like the way it circulates the air. Never saw one quite like it.

Jim
Old 09-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #5

Watch out. most of the new space heaters do not have a tip over switch to cut it off it it tips over. Most have an overheat shut off. Have seen scorced floors from them, Yes they do eventually shut off but its possible to start something on fire before they over heat and shut off. .
Old 09-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
Watch out. most of the new space heaters do not have a tip over switch to cut it off it it tips over. Most have an overheat shut off. Have seen scorced floors from them, Yes they do eventually shut off but its possible to start something on fire before they over heat and shut off. .
Strange you should say that about tip over shut-offs. I have looked at quite a few and they all had them. Maybe cheap off brands might not but not looking to go cheap. I want quality, not something that is going to die next year. I don't mind paying good money for one IF IT IS A GOOD QUALITY HEATER.

I just tossed one out because the fan was giving up but it was 10 years old, can't complain about that.

Jim
Old 09-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #7

Alot of the top brands do not have them, Pelonis, Holmes, Honeywell, etc. Took us a while to find one with the tip over switch, Our old one finally died this springs and took us until now to fine one that we liked.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
Campfire Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
John,

I see quite a few different models and was wondering which one you use. I found this and think it would do what I want.

Amazon.com - Vornado DVTH Whole Room Vortex Heater, Automatic Climate Control - Space Heaters

I like the way it circulates the air. Never saw one quite like it.

Jim
That's exactly the one I've got. Had it for about 4 years now, don't remember paying that much for it. On the other hand, I do remember it not being that cheap either. Another plus, you can use it for a fan also.

John
Old 09-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We have used the EdenPure for 5 yrs and find it more than adequate. The cabinet does not get hot and it is also remote controlled. They are a little pricey tho'.
Something like this one?

Amazon.com - Lifesmart 6 Element Large Room Infrared Quartz Heater w/Wood Cabinet and Remote - Space Heaters

It looks nice but weighs 19 pounds more than the Vornado heater and the Vorando has a 5 year warrantee. So far it is looking pretty good to me.

Jim
Old 09-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #10

Okay, so what are you guys do about heating your basement when you run an electric fan? What about your plumbing lines, your tanks, and your water pump? With most of those units doesn't the undercarriage warmth depend on warm air being circulated through your forced air heating?

Just asking because it is not a current issue for us but our next unit will have to have "four season/three season" accomodations.

We camped a year or so ago next to a brand new Tiffen that had to have most of its valves and pumps repaired or replaced because he sat through the freak January freeze in Alabama "saving battery and propane" by running a space heater. Just saying when you guys talk about space heaters aren't you forgetting the plumbing?

Tags
electric, heater