Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #1

What kind of camper do I now own?

Just purchased a camper that did not have a title and only got a bill of sale for it. First off, have no clue what in the world the brand name of this camper is nor the model and I can't seem to find any pictures online that look like this camper.

The back of the camper has a higher roof/ceiling in the rear and has a total of 3 twin beads in the back. 2 are in the "upper part" which you walk up and actually stand in like a hallway and have a twin size bed on each side.

Here is the outside picture of the camper so that hopefully anyone here can figure out what model this is along with brand name and such so I can kind of see what I am up against.

Thanks in advance for any information provided, if you can even provide any information that is..lol

Justin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wtf is this camper model.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	200451  
jmw132001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:43 PM   #2

Skyline made this floorplan years ago in different brands, Layton and Nomad, it was the early bunk house versions.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
Site Team

It's a travel trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:21 PM   #4

look on the tongue and see if a vin number is etched into it.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
Site Team

This one is close:

Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw132001 View Post
Just purchased a camper that did not have a title and only got a bill of sale for it.
The fun is just beginning. Good luck registering it and getting a license plate.

I went through something similar with an old car I bought from a storage lot behind a gas station. Had bill of sale and all. Needed a copy of the title with the release signed by the legal owner.

Filled out the form and all. Was advised that the State would then mail the replacement title to the legal owner at the address they had on file. It was up to me go go claim it. I was lucky. The legal owner still lived in the same town but I found that the vehicle had been sold two times before I bought it and those people were in the military and who knew where in the world they were then, literally.

Unless you tow it to a remote piece of property you own and use it for a cabin, good luck.

In most States the only substitute for a Title is a "Sheriff's Title" which is issued when abandoned vehicles are impounded and sold at auction.

Lastly, if the vehicle still has money owed on it, the registered owner can't sign off the title, that requires the Legal Owner's signature which is then the "bank".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #7

No VIN, no title. No title, no tags. No tags, no road use. Its just the same as a motor vehicle. It looks like a nice old trailer. Good luck with it.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
D W

No Title, huh? I'd be asking why. In my state a Bill of Sale is not proof of ownership. You must present a Title or MCO. If you have none of these you must secure a Surety Bond through a bonding company and then have the State Troopers run the VIN through the Federal VLIN System before you can submit application for Title & Registration.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
look on the tongue and see if a vin number is etched into it.
Yes, use a VIN decoder and you'll have all the info you need.

Some states allow for title-free trailer registration if it's under 3000 or 4000 lbs. You just need the bill of sale in that case. Something tells me this one is going to be a little over that weight limit.

I've also read, but have been unable to confirm, that you can register a trailer in Maine without being a resident. If the trailer was built before 1994 you don't need a title. If true, you could go that route as a last ditch effort. Anyone here have any experience or knowledge regarding that?

2019 Wildwood 171RBXL
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 5.7L V8 HEMI
adarklake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #10

I had a Layton with that design at least 35 years ago, but I can't find a photo to compare it
Lt Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarklake View Post
Yes, use a VIN decoder and you'll have all the info you need.

Some states allow for title-free trailer registration if it's under 3000 or 4000 lbs. You just need the bill of sale in that case. Something tells me this one is going to be a little over that weight limit.

I've also read, but have been unable to confirm, that you can register a trailer in Maine without being a resident. If the trailer was built before 1994 you don't need a title. If true, you could go that route as a last ditch effort. Anyone here have any experience or knowledge regarding that?
That practice was used to "wash" titles on vehicles that were obtained through less than legal means. Find a state where you could register with no title, then come back to your home state and transfer title. Some used car dealers did this to get the lien holder off the title so they could sell it without having to pay off the legal owner. In time many, if not all, of these loopholes were closed thanks to the internet and ability for one agency to actually share info without having to spend hours on the phone.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
That practice was used to "wash" titles on vehicles that were obtained through less than legal means. Find a state where you could register with no title, then come back to your home state and transfer title. Some used car dealers did this to get the lien holder off the title so they could sell it without having to pay off the legal owner. In time many, if not all, of these loopholes were closed thanks to the internet and ability for one agency to actually share info without having to spend hours on the phone.

Sure, motor vehicles maybe, however in Maine you can register a trailer without being a resident. Whether or not it's legal to tow that trailer with a vehicle that's registered in another state is subject to jurisdiction.

2019 Wildwood 171RBXL
Old 04-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Skyline made this floorplan years ago in different brands, Layton and Nomad, it was the early bunk house versions.
My uncle had a Layton that looked just like that some 30 years ago.
I had a Layton 5th wheel at the time but the exterior skin and colors were the same.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarklake View Post
Sure, motor vehicles maybe, however in Maine you can register a trailer without being a resident. Whether or not it's legal to tow that trailer with a vehicle that's registered in another state is subject to jurisdiction.

Wonder how people get to tow U-Haul's in every state with plates from who knows where?

Old 04-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Wonder how people get to tow U-Haul's in every state with plates from who knows where?

Most, if not all states have exceptions for apportioned vehicles and trailers. Otherwise you'd see a lot of ticketed semis. This case would be for personal use and would also require researching local legislation.

2019 Wildwood 171RBXL
Old 04-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #16

Wow, i was just now able to get back on to reply and see a ton of people have responded. Thanks to those that have helped. Here in Indiana I have never had a problem registering any kind of trailers without a title. Maybe I am just lucky, idk. lol. But with Kentucky not even needing to title trailers or anything, I think that might be why Indiana is a little easier?

Either way, not too concerned about it as I do not plan to be going across country with it.
jmw132001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
No VIN, no title. No title, no tags. No tags, no road use. Its just the same as a motor vehicle. It looks like a nice old trailer. Good luck with it.
Slow down on the doom and gloom. It depends on the state. Just because one state is a pain in the (you know what) doesn't mean all are. In quite a few, all you need is a bill of sale for a non-motorized vehicle, especially for old stuff like this. It is not in the best interest of the state to turn down money.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #18
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Slow down on the doom and gloom. It depends on the state. Just because one state is a pain in the (you know what) doesn't mean all are. In quite a few, all you need is a bill of sale for a non-motorized vehicle, especially for old stuff like this. It is not in the best interest of the state to turn down money.
Sure, sure, sure, but how do you have a Bill of Sale for "something" and not know what it is?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #19

in that state of TN you need not tag it if you say in that state
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:41 AM   #20

Keep us informed of your experience.
Most states require a title to get a tag, to prove ownership and get insurance.
The seller should know why there isn't a title. No title? You will have to apply for whatever type title your state requires to get it compliant which may include inspection of proper lights, brakes working, wiring and cables to vehicle in order.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper