Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #1

What options do I want on a Rockwood 2306?

I'm looking to buy a new Rockwood 2306 from Wana RV. I *think* I know which options I want, but being new to the whole game I'd like to get inputs/suggestions from the experts.

Here's what I'm planning on getting:
  • Murphy bed
  • Double bunks (vice the standard triple)
  • 14" wheels/tires
  • Wood-look floor
  • Awning
  • Gas oven
  • 13,500 BTU AC
  • Outdoor shower
  • Outdoor grill
  • Outdoor speakers
  • Large grab handle
  • Spare tire
  • 22" TV
  • Microwave
Here's what's available that I don't know if I want (i.e. is it worth the money):
  • Heated tanks
  • Heated mattress
  • Vent covers
  • Create A Breeze fan
  • Stainless steel appliances
  • Water Pur filtration system
  • Aluminum wheels
And here's what's available that I'm pretty sure I DON'T want:
  • Power awning
  • Raised refrigerator panels
  • Storm windows
  • Power tongue jack
So for the last two categories, am I making a mistake by not opting for any of these things? Is there anything else I should plan to spend money on that's a just plain good idea?

Thanks!
pg_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #2

The Power tongue jack for sure. Get it now or after market depending on the price.
I would skip the stainless steel appliances and take the raised refrigerator panels. (just personal preference on that one)
Power awning would be nice but surely not a must.
buffalohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Site Team

heated mattresses for sure!
vent covers also are worth it and cost more to add later.
same thing with the Create-a-breeze.
don't know where you live, so can't say about the heated tanks but if you plan on cold camping, you should get them.

not sure why you're against a power tongue jack. it's a great and cheap option that makes hooking/unhooking from a WDH, way easier.
or you can get one off of Ebay for around $100. very easy install.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #4

Interesting feedback -- thanks! Didn't think the power tongue jack would be so useful, but I'll add it to the must-have list.

What exactly are the raised refrigerator panels, and why would I want them?

As for the power awning, I've heard several people have had issues with them on the Rockwood 2306. I love the idea of having it, but not if it's going to cause headaches down the road...
Old 01-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #5

me I like all the options I can get but I would go for the power jack once you use it you'll wonder how you did without it. The heated tanks are nice if you in cold weather in the spring & fall. Same with storm winter, Aluminum wheels just make the camper look nicer than stock white. the Create A Breeze fan is nice when it's cool out for added ventilation.

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #6

Love my power tongue jack and awning.......no problems with either. Your in Co. If you like cold weather camping......heated everything is nice and needed !

Another option on the must have list...........Beer !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Site Team

the raised fridge panes match the cabinets, but if you're getting stainless steel, there's no need for them.
if you're getting just the standard fridge, get the raised panels, they look great.

as for power awning, don't have one and don't want one. the manual is so simple to use and doesn't need power to operate.
aluminum wheels are just extra bling, if you want bling, get them.

and how much is the power jack option? if it's over $150, forget it and get a refurbed one off of Ebay.
takes about 30 minutes to install.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #8

PG, I believe you are making a wise choice in going with a new 2306 rather than the used one you had asked about in an earlier post. The Murphy bed is a good choice since you can convert to a couch and free up more living space. The fourteen inch wheels will cost a little more, but a good option nevertheless.

Most of your "plan to get" list came standard in my 2306 with the exception of the fourteen inch wheels. Mine came with thirteen inch wheels. The only thing I added was a pair of vent covers which I believe are good protection against the elements. Aluminum wheels will cost you more, so you could save a little money there if the look isn't important to you. For me, it fell into the "nice to have vs. need to have" category,so I opted to save some samolians by going with the painted wheel.

The heated mattress was also built into the $12,000 price tag of my unit. You'll probably pay more for the wood-look floor, and heated tanks are only necessary if you plan on cold-weather camping. Forget the power awning since these things are a breeeze to operate manually. Besides, that is one more motor unit that you have to worry about replacing down the road. And I would forget about the storm windows since they are a permanent fixture and you can't open them to allow outside air to cool you at night. You'll hate yourself for that decision on a warm summer night unless you plan on running your ac all night.

Good luck with your purchase and shop around. Let us know what you decide. I'm curious to know what they're asking for that unit. Apparently, prices have gone up considerably since I purchased my unit in December of 2010. December was probably a good time to buy since they were anxious to move inventory and Forest River added an additional $500 factory rebate plus a second year factory warranty at no additional cost. RV Direct quoted me a price that was nearly $2000 more than the quote I received from RV Wholesalers, plus, RVD did not offer me the FR rebate. Their loss since I bought elsewhere.
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #9

All this talk about PG's upcoming purchase is making my cabin fever that much worse. I CAN'T WAIT for the winter, which just officially started, to be over. The older I get, the more I hate winter in the NorthEast, and we've only had one snowfall thus far...that freak storm at the end of October. I need to get in that trailer and head south! Retirement can't come soon enough.
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Site Team

I vote for:
*Power tongue jack
*Battery disconnect switch if it doesn't come on it already.
*Fantastic Fan
*Power Awning: I do like the power awning but not the auto closing type if it detects wind. I have the manual type and it's no problem. The down side is bending down to go under the awning arm. Why not check out both kinds of awning on units on the lot before decidng. If cost is a deal breaker I'm willing to bet that this is one area you can save.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #11

If you do the Power jack - I would install a 2nd Battery

I have the storm windows - they are just a plexy glass and makes the windows inoperable except the emergency window.

most of the options you are looking at belong to the convenience group -

get the double step with the 14" wheel upgrade -
wouldnt do the aluminum wheels unless you want to throw money into it.

Install two Max Air II covers over your vents - you will be happy with that.

I have the wood look floor and like it alot better then the standard floor - you will like it.
I would do a few other upgrades once you get your purchase home - like add the Heating Element to your A/C Unit cost you $50 - I have a thread on this install

Battery Cut off switch to keep the battery from going dead - I have a thread on this install

I added a Locking door for my Water fill so I didnt have to worry about mysterious stuff being put in my fresh water tank. - I have a thread on this Install

I would do the Heated tanks if you live in the North or are ever going to do any winter camping cause the under belly is exposed - I did it as I may move to a place that is colder then florida and for piece of mind if I ever needed them I have them

I highlighted to help you out.
  • Murphy bed - Optional - didnt go with it cause not for me
  • Double bunks (vice the standard triple) - changes due to Murphy Bed Option
  • 14" wheels/tires - upgrade to the double steps with the 14" wheels
  • Wood-look floor - I did this and Love it over the standard flooring
  • Awning - part of the convience package
  • Gas oven - I did and have used it a few times - well worth IMO
  • 13,500 BTU AC - part of the convience package
  • Outdoor shower - Standard Option
  • Outdoor grill - either standard option or convienence group
  • Outdoor speakers - either standard option or convienence group
  • Large grab handle - I did this and love it - had dealer install it to
  • Spare tire - part of the convience package
  • 22" TV - part of the convience package
  • Microwave - part of the convience package
Here's what's available that I don't know if I want (i.e. is it worth the money):
  • Heated tanks - I would if you plan on doing any winter camping - I did
  • Heated mattress - I think this is a standard option
  • Vent covers - Max Air II's - I recommend
  • Create A Breeze fan - one is convience package and 2nd one is added option - didnt do the 2nd one
  • Stainless steel appliances - waste of money unless you like stainless look IMO
  • Water Pur filtration system - I think this is standard option
  • Aluminum wheels - I wouldnt bother unless you want to spend extra money
And here's what's available that I'm pretty sure I DON'T want:
  • Power awning - Didnt do
  • Raised refrigerator panels - Didnt do
  • Storm windows - I did but not happy that you cant use the windows
  • Power tongue jack - didnt do but may eventually do this since I have now upgraded to two Gel Batteries
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #12

Good choice buying new vs. used. The extra year warranty is only $150. That gives you a two year warranty which is well worth it. We got most of the stuff on the first list except wood look floor and gas oven. We opted not to get the gas oven because we have never used it...ever. They all come with stove-top burners (which we do use all the time) but if you don't get the oven then it is replaced with storage. That was more practical for us. Here's a link of a trailer which doesn't have the gas oven so you can see what it looks like New Forest River Rockwood for sale in Taylor MI | 2012 Forest River Rockwood 2306 Travel Trailer For Sale from Vicars Trailer Sales in Taylor Michigan - Vicars Trailer Sales It's all personal preference though.

We also didn't get aluminum tires, heated tanks, stainless steel appliances, storm windows or a power jack (although I am rethinking that one.) We did get a power awning because I am stupid and can never remember the steps to wind up the thing. I always end up winding up the cord or something. That will now be one less aggravation for me. Good luck!
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 AM   #13

I am flatlander down here in the bayou (Louisiana) and know absolutely nothing about living in a mountainous state. I have only been a visitor to the mountains in the summertime only and do admire their beauty. Since you live in the very beautiful state of Colorado, I would probably get the heated tanks. I do have them on mine, but I am retired as of very recently and wanted to be prepared in the event I find out I am subject to outburst of spontaneous travel to faraway places (time will tell).

With my other trailers (including my popup), I had manual stabilizers and always used a drill to lower and raise them. On this trailer, I have the electric stabilizers. For me personally, electric stabilizers are not a must, but they are nice. Someone prone to back problems, knee problems, or arthritis might find these as a must have. (For any of us, our medical/physical condition is subject to change at any moment.)

Agree with the others – get the power tongue jack. My first trailer did not have it. I installed it on the second trailer, which made a believer out of me. By the time I purchased the third trailer, it was a must have. (Personal medical/physical considerations – especially hand issues – should be applied here as well.)

If you have pets, the anti-scratch flooring is good.

When considering some of these options (automatic verse manual), do include your age and how long you intend to keep the trailer in the equation. (Do NOT forget your spouse’s needs if married! Otherwise, you may need to really consider personal orthopedic needs (lol).)
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkconfer View Post
I need to get in that trailer and head south! Retirement can't come soon enough.
Retirement is great!!!
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
I'm looking to buy a new Rockwood 2306 from Wana RV. I *think* I know which options I want, but being new to the whole game I'd like to get inputs/suggestions from the experts.
I don't see as one of the options you have available, but if it is and you plan on doing any summer camping in the hotter states, the upgrade to the 15k AC may be something worth looking into. Down here in S. Florida is a must.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #16

Thanks for all the replies! Check this out: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post155546

(hint: I bought a trailer )
Old 01-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #17

I don't mean to hijack PG's thread but after reading everyone's recommendations it seems like a power jack is unanimous. I've never had one so I don't know what I'm missing. What do you do if your battery is low or out of juice? Is there a manual crank option in those circumstances?
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
I don't mean to hijack PG's thread but after reading everyone's recommendations it seems like a power jack is unanimous. I've never had one so I don't know what I'm missing. What do you do if your battery is low or out of juice? Is there a manual crank option in those circumstances?
Yes. I had to use the crank once (blown inline fuse) and to my surprise it wasn't bad at all.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
If it's just the battery dead (or low) I just plug the trailer into the TV. It will provide plenty of juice to run the jack.

I won't ever give up my electric jack and powered awning, they're just awesome.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
If it's just the battery dead (or low) I just plug the trailer into the TV. It will provide plenty of juice to run the jack.

I won't ever give up my electric jack and powered awning, they're just awesome.
X2 on powered stuff.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags