Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #1

What to do!!!

We had a 05 Cherokee TT two slides with a bunk room. It was getting small so we stated looking for a fifth wheel. In the mean time I sold my TT hoping to buy one of the three Sierra 06-07 316BHT FW on Craigslist.

After going to look at them all I am very disappointed!!! Are all used trailers crappy!!! Even one person said it was in like new condition and when I went to look there was a unaddressed leak in a skylight and one slide had a crack at the bottom corner allowing water in through the outside fiberglass.

So now we are homeless lol! Well my hubby, 2 yr old and I bought a large tent we are living in until we find the perfect fifth wheel. We are full timers and have a 05 Dodge 3500 dully diesel pickup.

I guess I have several questions:

Are there better brands then others for full timing?

Are the slide out cracks I see so often that common?

Can anyone recommend a superior quality FW with bunkhouse that has three slides is around 35'-38'? We are hoping to stay in the 20k-35k range but cab go a bit higher if we have to.

Is it better to buy new? Can you ever really know the condition of a used FW?

Do people just buy new and trade in every few years to avoid dealing with the wear trailers get?

I'm so sick of crappy trailers and want to find a forever fifth wheel before I'm tenting in snow this winter!!!
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Oklahoma Proud

We found a lot of "crappy" trailers too, so we ended up ordering a new one. I try to keep mine in extremely good condition so maybe when I upgrade someone will actually
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Oklahoma Proud

Want it. (Sorry hit send button accidently). We got an entry level 5er, puma kbh295 by palamino in the mid $20ks (dealer was new and going on last year prices-bit him in the butt when he got invoiced, or so he said) but it was tons better then all the used ones in upper teens and low 20s.
Ps. We only have 2 slides and it has aluminum sides w/fiberglass ft nose.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #4

that looks like a great floor plan! I would only be missing a standing closet in the master and im not sure i would ever use an outdoor kitchen?? Thanks for the reply and listing your unit so i could get a look at a different unit
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

Yep. We love the out side kitchen, but we are at the lake most of the summer, and rarely use the inside.

Storage is kind of minamal and with 3 kids, I don't think I could full time in it, but 2600 sq feet (house) to 300 sq ft.... I guess that's camping- got to be "roughing it" somehow!!! As you said it could be a tent- I got enough of that in the Army.